Sharing one-time maternity allowance payment with partner?

Hello, I am an expecting mom and my partner asked me to put my flat maternity allowance received once after the baby is born on a joint account. We had always have money discussions and this proposal did not come as a surprise. But nevertheless, I was very frustrated since i am the one paying the medical bills and was expecting to cover some of the costs with this allowance. We both bought items for the baby and it came to the point that I told him I will pay him back the money he invested in buying clothes for the kid, if this was the reason why he wanted a share of the allowance. To me, it is pitiful but I am also wondering I am i being reasonable to think that he is cheap and should not request to share a flat maternity allowance fee given to new moms. Other new parents here? How do you deal with baby costs?

Comments

• Where in the world are you?
  • Where in the world are you?
    I live in Luxembourg.
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 9,872 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Congrats on your expected!  

Frankly he sounds mighty cheap. 

I'd be telling him that the money is to cover all the things to do with the pregnancy and that includes any medical expenses.  Should there be anything left over then that will be spent on the child.  

Has he said why he wants the money paid into a joint account??  Is he good with money or is he likely to spend it all on beer or bowties or whatever???
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • Thank you, Brie :) Brie said:
    Congrats on your expected!  

Frankly he sounds mighty cheap. 

I'd be telling him that the money is to cover all the things to do with the pregnancy and that includes any medical expenses.  Should there be anything left over then that will be spent on the child.  

Has he said why he wants the money paid into a joint account??  Is he good with money or is he likely to spend it all on beer or bowties or whatever???
    Thank you, Brie :)
    I told him that the money is to cover the medical bills and everything else related to pregnancy. But he feels entitled to a share of it.. Yes, he wants the money paid into a joint account, so he can have access to it "to pay for baby stuff". He is ok with the money, but I am rather the saver of the couple.
    Another thing is that the Government will pay some monthly allowance after the baby is born. We will put that money on a shared account, so there will be money for baby costs. But he wants to share the one-time flat-fee maternity allowance, which to me sounds beyond ridiculous.  
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    This site is in England and I'm not sure will understand the maternity allowance side of things here or what a flat payment is.

To me it doesn't sound unreasonable to go in a joint account, but that's based on me having no idea what it is and thinking it's 'joint' for the baby. 
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • pearl123
    pearl123 Posts: 2,053 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    EllaCK said:
    Hello, I am an expecting mom and my partner asked me to put my flat maternity allowance received once after the baby is born on a joint account. 
    Does the topic 'maternity allowance' have anything to do with him? Ie: is he either the mother or baby?
    Since he's not the subject matter, then the  money should have nothing to do with  him. 

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    edited 22 September 2021 at 8:03PM
    Any sharing of money is between you and him.

Can you not pout the money in the joint account and  then pay the medical bills from the joint account? 
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,564 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I suppose it depends how you manage your finances as a couple before you were expecting. If you normally have your salaries paid into separate individual accounts then I'd say any maternity payments were in lieu of any salary you'll miss out on so should be paid to you.

But if, because of your pregnancy, you won't be able to contribute to family finances much for a while then I can see why your husband wants all the money shared for the time being.

How would you normally pay for the shared expenses like the home and food and utilities? 
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,893 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I'm in Belgium, where there is a similar system to Luxembourg. The one-time flat fee is only paid to mothers for a reason. Make sure it is paid to where it is needed first (medical costs, nursery, powdered milk?, nappies, wetwipes, special laundry detergent, nursing bras, nursing pads for you, etc.). If there is any left you can put it in the joint account, but I doubt that there will be any. This is not 'fun' money, this is 'government helps you with basic needs' money.
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • Siebrie said:
    I'm in Belgium, where there is a similar system to Luxembourg. The one-time flat fee is only paid to mothers for a reason. Make sure it is paid to where it is needed first (medical costs, nursery, powdered milk?, nappies, wetwipes, special laundry detergent, nursing bras, nursing pads for you, etc.). If there is any left you can put it in the joint account, but I doubt that there will be any. This is not 'fun' money, this is 'government helps you with basic needs' money.
    It sounds like from your post you expect the father of the child to not be prepared to pay for the costs of his child.

It's abit strange that a father wouldn't want to pay for nappies, wetwipes, nursery fees etc.

So I find your "it's only paid to mothers for a reason" strange. Actually a little disrespectful like it's only mothers who contribute to the cost of those things.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback