Curbing the ridiculous

Comments

• Yep, sauce and all with the beans, if I don't add beans then I add a squirt of tomato purée to the gravy as it's cooking.
  • Add Tom's. Too. Fresh or half a tin
    Dedicated Debt Free Wanabee 🤓
    Proud member of the Tilly Tidies since 1st Jan 2022
    2022 -Jan £26.52, Feb £27.40, Mar £156.27, Apr £TBC
  • MissRikkiC
    MissRikkiC Posts: 1,236
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi @RebeccaPearson I have just started following your diary, I always read the first few pages then to go to end and read the most recent pages before reading through the middle. I also did this with books too as a kid. Anyway. 

I can relate to so much of your situation, I too have a small family (1 little girl at present who is 18 months) and another baby on the way, also with a wonderful husband (who isn’t as wonderful at carrying the mental load or doing much other than what’s in relation to the little) and found so many of my own frustrations in yours. 

We also have our own re mortgage application going through (although I know that’s a little different to your situation) so I’m sharing your frustrations with that process too. 

I’ll be here, reading along and cheering you on :)
    Here i am again.... Older but not any wiser!

My Debt Free Diary - https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6275380/pay-for-the-future-and-not-the-past#latest
  • TheAble
    TheAble Posts: 1,592
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Definitely shop around for that home insurance, I couldn't conceive of paying even close to that. £89 for Life seems toppy too - worth a market check.
  • Alchemilla
    Alchemilla Posts: 6,047
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    The time will go in the blink of an eye until you move.

Can you do anything now to give a gift to your future moved-in self?

I spent a lot of time reading house moving advice, and how to make the home your own once you've moved. Xxx
  • @Alchemilla - we are writing a list of all of the things we'd like to do to each room, the things we'd like to buy but haven't had room for in a long time (food processor etc) and the things we will need for the garden.  So that we can work out our "slush fund" as I call it and order once in.  I guess that's kind of my gift to myself? (That and I'm saving a book I've wanted to read for ages for when we move in, and have organised book club at MY house for march!).  DH gets paid tomorrow so we will then have both been "last paid" prior to move and can work out exactly what we will have on completion (because our tax codes here have also changed with the new calendar year so we weren't sure exactly what we would be getting monthly but know mine now and will know DH's tomorrow).

@TheAble - yes the house insurance is extortionate.  The life is for both of us (single as opposed to joint policies in case the worst happened and we ever split up, plus written in trust) for quite a significant amount of cover - I've shopped around locally with that as you kind of have to use a local broker as many don't do CI (and I also felt we needed advice as to what to do - ended up taking out decreasing cover for the mortgage, with an extra amount of level term cover on top).  But we got a 10% discount on the premiums going through someone I know.  Plus I'm almost 44 and DH is almost 39 so taking life cover "later on" in life means the premiums are higher.  I think the house one might be because it is built of granite (which a lot of houses here are) but I have a list of the local brokers and will call them all today.

@MissRikkiC - welcome!  Glad (but not glad!) you share some of my frustrations.  Whereabouts are you in the mortgage process?
  • MissRikkiC
    MissRikkiC Posts: 1,236
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    We have remortgaged to take out an amount to do some much required and long awaited renovations throughout. It was always the plan to do the work and had we not have had my daughter when we did, equally not fallen pregnant again as quickly (although very happy about this) we would have done it via having saved. 

We did fund and had saved for some of the works we wanted doing, such as replacing the central heating and made headway on the kitchen rennovations but I was becoming sad and unhappy living and working (from home) and seeing the things I do desperately felt needed doing; it was either this or move house. 

So whilst i already own the property, we’ve remortgaged and added my husband to the title deeds and are eagerly awaiting the formal confirmation of the offer (that we had over the phone last Thursday) for the solicitors to do their bit. It’s all a bit of a long game though, especially having had Christmas in the middle! 
    Here i am again.... Older but not any wiser!

My Debt Free Diary - https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6275380/pay-for-the-future-and-not-the-past#latest
  • Ah ok, frustrating but I guess at least you're not buying and selling which is a bit of a nightmare!

So, worked yesterday but struggling to get much done as am so distracted by the house purchase.  Applied for more buildings/contents cover quotes yesterday - got one back which was even more expensive - closer to £1400!  Waiting on a couple more and need to call 1 more tomorrow and then will just have to place cover as looks like we will be exchanging end of this week all being well!

Was also back and forth re the life cover application yesterday which is now in hand.

Not a very good day spend wise - DH got the 4 new tyres we needed which was a large chunk of budget but a necessary spend.  I got 2 x milk on way home which was £3.10 and we need to get more today!  Also had to order nephew a couple of birthday presents.

Hoping that apart from milk top ups and sticking £10 of petrol in our other car (which currently barely gets used but will when we move), that will be it until big shop Saturday.

Off today so aiming to take the DC to park after lunch.  Home this morning as DC2 will need a nap and DH will come home for lunch (soup and toast from stores).

DH was paid today and we received the completion statement from the lawyers yesterday so then just need to work out what is left to come out of DH's account for this month and do a final balance check - he has started paying over the deposit in tranches as his app will only allow a certain amount per day and we wanted to avoid bank charges by doing it as a whole.

• warby68
    warby68 Posts: 3,001
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I know it feels like forever to you but your house purchase seems to be going like a train compared to here.

Fingers crossed it all goes smoothly (well, there's always something unexpected with a new house but hopefully nothing major) and you are safe and settled in your new nest before too long. Then please have a rest for a bit :)
  • @warby68 - thank you - where are you up to?  Yes, a rest would be good actually.  I'm still toying with whether to take the friday or monday off after we move.  Currently I'm off Tues/Weds/Thurs - completion day is the Tues and plan is to go to new house and clean everywhere plus carpets, Weds the plan is to start moving some stuff over to the house (like all our kitchen stuff as the flat is furnished so we can use the stuff here on the weds night/thurs morning) and set up the kitchen and all the kids' toys in their temporary playroom.  Weds night I'll do things like clean main bathroom here and poss DC1's room (as the DC will be with MIL overnight).  Then the movers come in on the Thursday to move everything else so DH will have to set up cots/beds/tv other end.  My plan is in the morning to take some more stuff to the house and unpack what I can from that, then possibly some running around getting supplies whilst DH here directing the movers.  Once movers have gone from here, I'll come back to flat and carry on cleaning whilst DH supervises the movers at the house/puts the cots etc up.  Then I am supposed to be working Friday and DH was going to come back here to finish off any cleaning/clean the carpets.  I sort of feel like I should be helping but I get limited holiday.

But hopefully I will get a rest the weekend after we've moved!!!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback