Curbing the ridiculous

Comments

• Alchemilla
    Alchemilla Posts: 6,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    It is so stressful moving house. Have things smoothed over with your MIL now?
  • @Alchemilla - yes, thankfully!  I apologised and it's all fine.

@astrocytic_kitten - thank you. Yes, DH is great at getting their dinner and doing drop offs, pick ups, baths, etc but I do everything else re ensuring we have food, kids clothed, vaccinated, enrolled for stuff, nappies, wipes, shoes, nursery bags, bills paid - list is endless.  And even though DH does all drop offs and pick ups, it's always me they call when theres an issue!
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,734 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Its a man thing.  I got earache last week because my "friend" forgot to pick up his prescription, I don't live with him & didn't know he'd requested it.  I am also not psychic - yet.
  • QueenJess
    QueenJess Posts: 3,676 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    It’s the same here with mental load. I keep trying to say all the stuff I’m always doing and thinking about, but I genuinely don’t think DH gets it. I even have to remind him about his parents birthdays and often do the card/present as well 🙄.

He also doesn’t see dirt/dust and we have a cleaner as a result. I tried leaving it, but he just doesn’t seem to notice and I can’t live like that and it is not reasonable for me to clean everything myself. We’ve been in our house 6 years and he’s just started to use the washing machine (although only for the nappies). I wouldn’t mind if I was permanently at home, but I will be back at work full time soon. It was a cleaner or a divorce 😂
    2024 decluttering: 6,865 ⭐️🥉⭐️🏅🏅🥈⭐️🏅🥇🏅⭐️🏅
    April mini kitchen declutter challenge: 18/50
    2024 decluttering goals: 🥉3,000 🥈4,000 🥇5,000 💎12,000 🏆 20,000
  • I sympathise with you all!

I am WFH today as have a rotten cold.  But not actually doing much as I feel so rough.  

Title report for house expected end of week but been sent a preliminary view which all appears fine and nothing particularly unexpected for here.  Chased agent for contents list so expecting that today. Diarised when to pay movers.

We need milk and I've also discovered we need 2 loaves of bread.  So will be about £6.20 unless DH buys himself crisps, then am hoping that's a line under this month's spending!

Was not great with the DC this morning as was feeling so poorly and up in the middle of the night (3-4) as couldn't breathe as my nose was so blocked.  Need to give them some cuddles tonight and show them I love them.  It's just hard when you're feeling awful and they're being mental running and screaming and jumping on you and weeing on the floor!!!
  • We have started one job a week, its small but its progress  :D OH does help with cooking and cleaning to be fair but anything that involves setting up, a phonecall, email finances etc I am on my own.  This week he has to book the dentist appt's for us and the kids lol! 
    Pennies starts again...........2022 - £13,579.22  

• That's a really good idea -  I might give him 1 job a week.  To be fair, he does stuff like the bins, cat litter (though this will be going 2 weeks after we move in as cat will go out again), recycling and stuff like that, and a lot of the cooking (though he enjoys this so it's not really a chore!).

He went to shop.  Milk has shot up in price.  He got 5 litres so will last us well into weekend (hopefully).  I'd cut the kids milk if I felt I could but they need the calcium (they do have yoghurt and cheese also).  He got the bread but also spicy beanburgers as we eat those a lot and they don't often have them in.  And he needed a bag so total was £15.93(!).  But that's now it for this month - payday for me tomorrow and 25th for DH so we start a new month of spending.

Started making a shopping list for the weekend and we just always need stuff.  This time it's olive oil, dishwasher tabs, sponges, clingfilm, all on top of the usual weekly shop.  Gah, just gah.  It is so costly to live.

At least in the new house we will be able to grow a lot of our produce - we already have all the seeds, several raised beds, compost, water butts etc etc from the old house - all of which will (though we need to buy a decent poly tunnel) mean it should be relatively economical.  And there's already loads of apple and pear trees, fig, blackberries, sloes etc established plus we've a fig tree we are taking with us which is currently in a pot at MIL's and loads of strawberry plants.  And we will have the herb garden and chicken coop.

Just want it to hurry up now!  Might go for a sleep shortly as just feel rotten.
  • Yes slow progress is still progress is the way I see it! I would love to grow my own but I am terrible, I either leave everything to die or when I did actually manage around 15 tomatoes forgot to pick them  :D:s
    Pennies starts again...........2022 - £13,579.22  

• I need to put you in touch with DH - he is OBSESSED.  He watches gardeners world and river cottage and has all the river cottage books.  He's pretty annoyed that I want to get involved - haha!!!  Going to give the DC their own patch and veg to look after (well, probs only DC1 to start with as DC2 too young) and try to sell them on the roadside so that they can learn about lots of things, including the value of money.  DC1 probs a bit young for that side but may as well have a go.

Tried to sleep but couldn't.  Having a cup of decaf tea.  Not really done a lot of work but hoping I am better by friday (day off tomorrow though I have the DC on my own so no rest) then can catch up.  Have at least only had the heating on very briefly for half hour around lunchtime.
  • Christ on a bike this house had better go through (yes, I'm up at this time, DC1 keeps coming into our bed and then I can't sleep as he wriggles and kicks so I got up as felt rubbish to have some painkillers and a cup of decaf coffee) - just seen that mortgage rates have risen again 2 days ago with our bank.  We got a rate of 1.29% fixed for 5 years since by then, our nursery fees of 1600 a month will have gone as both DC will be at school (and we are not sending them private) and I am hoping to increase my hours to 35 or maybe just slightly less, to be able to pick them up at least 3 days a week.  Rate is now 1.59%.  Had we gone with the other bank we applied for in the summer (because for the other house we needed to borrow more and our current bank didn't offer the multiples we needed) - so I mean if we had looked at another house of a similar cost, then their rate is now 1.65%.  So this really needs to go through!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback