115 replies 3.8K views

Replies

• BluluBlulu Forumite
    7.3K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    One-Eye said:
    Blulu said:
    pate-ci0 I can't see anything that says Polls. I'm about as tech savvy as a gerbil. Cancel that, a gerbil can work a spinning wheel.
    1. Click "Search" icon, put search term in box & click "Search" (same as before)
    2. Click on "Discussions" button
    3. Click on "Sort By" and select "Newest"
    4. Click on "Category" and scroll down and select "Competitions Time"
    5. Click to select "Search Subcategories"
    6. Click to deselect "Polls"
    7. Click on the "Filter" button
    Yeah, well, I think that would work fine, if they just added two more steps:

8. Click to throw laptop out of the window
    9. Click to take up stamp collecting instead

Blu XXX
  • libra10libra10 Forumite
    16.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm with you @Blulu

It all seems unnecessarily complicated for most of us who use the forums.

Surely there should be an easier and speedier way to do a simple search.
  • JamboDPJamboDP Forumite
    40K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    libra10 said:
    I'm with you @Blulu

It all seems unnecessarily complicated for most of us who use the forums.

Surely there should be an easier and speedier way to do a simple search.
    It only takes a few seconds once you have got used to it.
    and at 72 I am not tech savvy.
    I do it just for fun and whatever I win is a bonus
  • BluluBlulu Forumite
    7.3K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jambo ,I'm sure you're right, but I doubt I'm alone in saying that I don't want to have to get used to it. I don't post that many comps. I just want something simple and obvious, like you get with most other searches. Apart from anything, having to 'get used to it' wouldn't be great for encouraging new folk to join us. I guess, one man's turnip is another man's poison (I changed it for any vegans reading this.)

Blu XXX
  • DidoowDidoow Forumite
    385 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    This is what I mean about having to press things to reveal things, it’s not obvious, nor is having to type in more letters to get past Debate House Prices. How many other things am I missing? I didn’t realise the filter was another thing, I thought it was part of “discussions” (which is actually “categories” instead of “categories” being categories, which is also not obvious especially when another part is discussions/polls) 
  • pate-ci0pate-ci0 Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    I guess the Search function has to satisfy the requirements of the whole of MSE, not just the Competitions Forum (though I would hazard a guess that it is mostly used by compers on a day to day basis!), so it may need to be a bit more complicated than we would like. However, I do wonder how important Polls are to the rest of the site users; certainly I have only encountered a couple in the years I've been using MSE and would never want to search for them, so feel their prominence in Search is unnecessary.
  • What about trying to find comps that are finishing on a specific date eg E:14/08? - it brings up all dates.
  • One-EyeOne-Eye Forumite
    58.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    What about trying to find comps that are finishing on a specific date eg E:14/08? - it brings up all dates.
    Sorting might still be best for this, but I did get a good search by setting up as below (see the blue arrows - note there is nothing at all in the main search box). It found 160 live comps E: 15/08

• pate-ci0pate-ci0 Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    One-Eye said:
    What about trying to find comps that are finishing on a specific date eg E:14/08? - it brings up all dates.
    Sorting might still be best for this, but I did get a good search by setting up as below (see the blue arrows - note there is nothing at all in the main search box). It found 160 live comps E: 15/08

Unfortunately the returned results do not show whether you have Entered or Skipped, so not much use in finding Closing Date comps you may have missed, unless you've got a REALLY good memory for the ones you entered.
  • DidoowDidoow Forumite
    385 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    I keep getting different results! Just now I got one solitary result for "14/08"