115 replies 3.8K views

Replies

• edited 15 August 2021 at 1:19AM
    thingamaBobthingamaBob Forumite
    21.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 15 August 2021 at 1:19AM
    I have just repeated One-Eye's search as above for E: 15/08 search and the first page said it gave results 1-10 of 161 results.
    On page 2, it said 11-20 of 154 results and page 3 said 21-30 of 163 results and it carried on like this with the stated number of total results changing on each page. I eventually reached a page that said it was results 111-120 of 160 but there was actually only 3 results on that page. There was then a further 5 pages with results 121-164 of 164 all without any actual results and the left hand side of each page saying "No results found".

The results that were found (113) all showed the specific standard comps format of end date of E: 15/08 except 1. this one was https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/comment/78537187# which actually has an date of E: 13/08 but I am fairly sure that was edited from E: 15/08 which was originally specified on the site. BUT how can Search find a date that has been changed? AND why did it find it in Game Over when it wasn't supposed to be searching Subcategories?
    Why does the number of results change page by page and why is it finding around 160 results but only displaying 113?
    Clearly something is going wrong and it is unreliable.

If anyone actually wants to use search to find comps by End Date they should also be aware that it will probably not be finding all the various mistakes that people make when entering the End Date such as missing off the E:, Missing off the colon, leaving out the 0's (such as 15/8 instead of 15/08), missing out the space after the colon and others. All of these MAY prevent search from finding them.

The Sort function is probably a better way to go but it is not perfect and does have problems. Some threads, especially recently posted, seem to go missing for a day and as you page through the results, a random number of threads seem to get repeated, ranging from the odd one to nearly whole pages.
    Right at this moment, this thread, https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6275292/e-14-08-win-a-snuezsurface-max-junior-mattress, which IS appearing in an "E: 14/08" Search, is NOT appearing in E: 14/08's in Sort. Of course, by the time anyone else looks, the 14/08's will have been moved to Game Over and not in live Comps Time at all.
  • BluluBlulu Forumite
    7.3K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Clearly there is currently a lot of confusion about the search facility. I think we need another update from MSE Towers, at least to let us know where they're up to with working on it.

For me, I would like a simple default search that leads to accurate results.

Something like:

1) Search box

Enter a word or words to search on - with quote marks, where wanted, to force the search to only include results with that exact word/phrase only.

2) Where to search

Default should be 'this board' perhaps with click box for subcategories. Or have an option to select a boards/boards

3) Sorting results: select at time of search (preferably), or sort results after the search in order of:

A. Best match (or similar)
    B. Oldest first
    C. Newest first
    D. End date

Also offer an 'advanced search' option. This could include anything:

Search for:

Polls, Russians, Greeks, Londoners, ect

Whether there's an 'r' in the month or not

A pretty font

Chocolate

The hero inside yourself

Anything else

And that's it. That is what would work best for me; simple search, accurate results, option for more complex stuff for all the clever cloggies who want that.

A gal can dream, can't she?

Blu XXX

• libra10libra10 Forumite
    16.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds good to me @Blulu it looks like we're singing from the same hymn sheet  :)
  • DidoowDidoow Forumite
    385 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    I don’t include the E: when I’m searching, I actually find it better than using the sort feature. When I use the sort, I find some of the exact same posts (not dupes) repeated and it takes a lot longer to go through them
  • DidoowDidoow Forumite
    385 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Blulu said:
    Clearly there is currently a lot of confusion about the search facility. I think we need another update from MSE Towers, at least to let us know where they're up to with working on it.

For me, I would like a simple default search that leads to accurate results.

Something like:

1) Search box

Enter a word or words to search on - with quote marks, where wanted, to force the search to only include results with that exact word/phrase only.

2) Where to search

Default should be 'this board' perhaps with click box for subcategories. Or have an option to select a boards/boards

3) Sorting results: select at time of search (preferably), or sort results after the search in order of:

A. Best match (or similar)
    B. Oldest first
    C. Newest first
    D. End date

Also offer an 'advanced search' option. This could include anything:

Search for:

Polls, Russians, Greeks, Londoners, ect

Whether there's an 'r' in the month or not

A pretty font

Chocolate

The hero inside yourself

Anything else

And that's it. That is what would work best for me; simple search, accurate results, option for more complex stuff for all the clever cloggies who want that.

A gal can dream, can't she?

Blu XXX

Ha ha, love it!
    Weirdly I didn't see your comment when I commented.  Yes something like that is great although I really liked, when it first swapped over, when you could have two search terms so I could put, for example, the date in the title search line and a prize/company in the second line, to narrow the search down (I have only just remembered this so I've yet to try it on this new format) it might be being greedy but I know that it's possible now!
  • thingamaBobthingamaBob Forumite
    21.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didoow said:
    I don’t include the E: when I’m searching, I actually find it better than using the sort feature. When I use the sort, I find some of the exact same posts (not dupes) repeated and it takes a lot longer to go through them
    Yes, as it was with the previous search, leaving off the E: will give better results as it avoids some of the errors made in date format when posting particularly when the E: is omitted completely.

I also agree that Search does actually return more results than Sort and in a better order but the big problem that many people find with search is that it does not show the green ticks and red crosses. The only way to find out if you have ticked or crossed a thread is to click into it. If you simply click into it and then try to use the back arrow to go back to the search results, you find that your original search has gone and you have to start again. When you want to look at a thread but still keep the search results, you must remember to "open in a new tab" and it's quite easy to forget.

In fact this is probably a change that we require, i.e. after looking at a thread from a search results, you should be able to click the back arrow and find the original search results still there. It works that way for most other things. Also we need the ticks and crosses to show up with the search results.
  • Thanks guys!! Much appreciated!
  • edited 16 August 2021 at 4:07PM
    grannybikergrannybiker Forumite
    12.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 16 August 2021 at 4:07PM
    As a user (I used to post loads!) of the comps forum for many years, I certainly don't find it useable,  It's too 'clunky' and still not doing the job.
    Do the folk in M.S.E. towers not realise this lack of a useable search is stopping folk posting, so the whole forum suffers?
    Worse things will have happened in the world today...
    "The only thing that really matters, it to love and to be loved."
  • cornishpasty1cornishpasty1 Forumite
    27.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been away for a while and hoped this would have been sorted by now, it hasn't! 

I still cannot do a simple search, even following One-Eyes concise instructions.

Is there any latest information about when this search facility will work properly, or is this the best we're going to get?

Advents will soon be here, and this is not a user friendly site for anything, let alone Advents!!!!
    #StaySafe
    Wishing you a Merry Christmas and a happy, healthy New Year
  • edited 1 September 2021 at 12:12PM
    BluluBlulu Forumite
    7.3K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 1 September 2021 at 12:12PM
    I agree with you Cornish. To be honest, I really do think MSE are working on this and do plan to get it sorted ASAP, I just with they would tell us more. Considering they'd said they'd hope to have it sorted by the end of July. I know they followed it up somewhere with a follow up about the delay, but it is just dragging on and on. Personally, I would be OK with the delay, IF they kept chatting to us and reassuring us about it. The comp forum is so short of comps now, and people too. As you say, with advents looming too, it's very not good  :'(

Blu XXX