The 'Towards a Sugar-Free Future' Challenge

Comments

• Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    How did it go today Making?  I agree with you - I think that a lot of the chocolate and carp eating is boredom with me, that midafternoon energy slump and not wanting to carry on doing whatever I'm doing but I kind of feel I have to. 
    But today was a great success and I'm very happy about it.  Solid breakfast of a one egg cheese omlette in the microwave, plus a bowl of yoghurt and a few chopped up plums, lunch of cheesey muffin things that were YS in the supermarket's Reduced cabinet, and dinner of a lentil, beetroot and feta cheese thing with clemantines to follow.  An unusually healthy day for me and I'm rather chuffed about it.  I'm definitely going to see if I can keep this going. 

Better is good enough.
  • I started off really well with Oatibix & lots of fruit & at lunch I had egg & wholemeal toast. But then I had chocolate....more than the 2 squares which I said would be my limit. Yes it was 85% dark chocolate, but still not good. Then....I really went & spoilt it with a stupid chocolate snack bar thing! So I'm hanging my head in shame & going to do better tomorrow.
    Well done, you did really well
    Making the debt go down and savings go up

LBM 2015 - debt £57K / Now £33,676

Mortgage 04/24  £17,400 Officially ends June '26 but plan to be MF sooner
    Total OPs 2022 - £240   2023 - £1766
    OPs so far in 2024 £581.00

Challenges

EF #68  £335/£1000
    1p a Day '24 #12  £76/£667.  SPC '24 #41 £12.93
    Christmas '24 £12. 

Make £5 a day - Apr £36.30/£150            
    NSDs April 6/15

My debt free diary...https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6396218/we-will-get-this-debt-down-the-savings-up

• Please don't beat yourself up Making.  There are days when it's easy, and today I had one of those, and there are days when it's hard.  There are also days when it's impossible, and you had one of those.  It happens to all of us, and the fact that you gave it a shot is what matters. 
    Tomorrow's another day.
    Better is good enough.
  • Honey_Bear
    Tuesday I was sugarfree all day, and had dessert after supper, but it was the only way to deal with some bananas we had that were going over - I can't eat them uncooked so Belovéd fried them in butter and then spooned on a bit of salted caramel spread and we finished the ice cream tub because I needed the space in the freezer. 
    Some days it's easier to be sugarfree than others.
    Better is good enough.
  • Wednesday was as successful as Tuesday - fine all day but with strawberries and ice cream for dessert after supper.
    There is now absolutely no doubt in my mind that, for me, the key to not suffering from that afternoon energy slump at 3.30 with the resultant sugar binge (for which, basically, read chocolate) is breakfast.  The right breakfast for me is one egg scrambled into an omelette shape in the microwave with a bit of grated cheese as a filling and about four picolo tomatoes, plus two spoonfuls of natural yoghurt with some fresh fruit stirred in 5,30 it.  It keeps me going until lunchtime, no munchies at noon or thereabouts, fine until about 1.00 to 1.30, a decent lunch with carbonhydrate in the form of rice or something bready and filling like avocado on toast and mjudarra or - this week - leftover brown lentils with beetroot and feta.  I'm pretty okay then until about 6.00pm.  Belovéd and I eat our main meal of the day about 7.30pm so if I need to snack on anything before then it's because I'm hungry and I never want anything sweet when I'm actually hungry, so I fall back on an old favourite, a small bag of lentil crisps. 
    It's the only regime that I've ever tried that has completely worked for me for three days in a row with absolutely no sugar/chocolate cravings and on which I'm surprised to discover a bonus - I'm losing weight pretty rapidly.  600g within the first 48 hours both surprised and delighted me.
    I think I may have cracked this after two years of trying different solutions.
    Better is good enough.
  • Well done @Honey_Bear, hope it continues to work for you. 
    I am trying to be better. Having decent breakfast and lunch and definitely not eating after dinner. Although last night we did share a choc chip shortbread as an anniversary pudding. 

Challenges

EF #68  £335/£1000
    Christmas '24 £12. 

NSDs April 6/15

My debt free diary...https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6396218/we-will-get-this-debt-down-the-savings-up

• Honey_Bear
    Thanks Making.  Glad to hear you're not feeling downhearted.  An anniversary is definitely a High Day and should be celebrated together.
    And I need to confess that despite all that I said I've just scoffed a 100g bar of chocolate.  I tried resisting by having a couple of tangerines but that didn't work, so I caved and indulged.  It's Thursday.  I managed a full day without any sugar, two days with desserts after supper and now half a day without sugar or chocolate.  That's a lot better than I've been doing for the past six months so I'll take it.
    Better is good enough.
  • What sot of chocolate do you eat? I must admit I love the dark chocolate and always read the sugar content on it now. There is such a difference in some of them. I only ever buy the 85 or 90% good quality stuff now. Find milk chocolate far too sweet. So maybe its not sugar I really crave, but just good chocolate. I could never eat a CDM or Galaxy or that type of stuff and I never buy normal "sweets", like fruity stuff or toffees etc.  

Challenges

EF #68  £335/£1000
    Christmas '24 £12. 

NSDs April 6/15

• Honey_Bear
    I'm afraid I don't have that much taste Making.  My favourite is milk chocolate with whole nuts in it, but as I'm off whole nuts at the moment (cracked tooth awaiting treatment) following the dentist's strict instructions, I'm on any old milk chocolate that I find lying around at home.  
    I have a stash of white chocolate which I loathe because it melts easily and I can push the dog's pills into it, chill it and some of my dogs in the past have never known they were being medicated, but this dog hasn't been introduced to chocolate (baiscally she doesn't know about sugar) so we're holding that in reserve.  In the meantime, we've got the leftover white chocolate from previous dogs' medication regimes.  
    And some dark chocolate because Belovéd loves it, but it's not quite my thing.  In an emergency, absolutely, yes, I'd eat it, but I tend not to allow emergencies, I'm keeping it for him.  I was surprised to find a bar of budget milk chocolate in the tin today which tasted very sweet and nearly three hours later I'm still feeling a bit sick, but I never learn my lesson.
    Better is good enough.
  • Honey_Bear
    I can't say I was entirely sugarfree over the weekend but I absolutely did not binge, and I didn't eat a 100g bar of chocolate every day either, which is what's really worrying me.  Getting back into old destructive habits would sadden me because I know I can do better than that but the lapses aren't a one off every now and again, they're a really, really bad habit that keeps rearing it's ugly head again.  Self-discipline and denial can only go so far and if I have to fight this battle every single day sugar will win. 
    Lessons that I've learned so far.
    1.  It's possible to do this, so I'm sugarfree for almost five days a week, with a definite treat of Friday evening being essential to my well-being if I've got that far.
    2.  Building up by doing sugarfree one day a week, then two, then three etc works.
    3.  High days and Holidays are important.  I don't want to be the faintly saintly person in the room while other people are having sugar; not because I want the sugary thing, I sometimes don't, but because those people are the ones who spoil the indulgence for everyone else.  It's a Puritanical thing and it's not welcome in my life.
    4.  It's a mistake to think that by substituting a fruit sugar freat like the date bars and protein balls is a good idea.  I thought it was, but I now realise that it's a sugarhit that keeps the craving going.   Dried fruit is a good idea in theory over a bar of chocolate but it's an intense sugarhit and I'm not doing it any more.
    5.  Eating a proper breakfast, effectively a pretty hearty meal, with plenty of protein is hugely important for me.  Nothing else has produced the results changing that one thing has done.  Personally a one egg cheese omelette with three or four cherry tomatoes and a small bowl of yoghurt with fresh fruit chopped into it has been a real game-changer.
    6.  I also need protein at lunch.  A bowl of soup with a chunk of break isn't enough to keep me going in the afternoon, and the bread is probably a huge part of the 3.30 pm slump.  Carbyhydrate without activity doesn't work for me.  When I was hiking sandwiches were the perfect lunch, but I don't know if that will translate to my normal day to day life. 
    7.  The fact that the idea of eating anything sugary made me feel slightly sick while hiking is something I still haven't fully figured out, but I know it was hugely important for me and I need to work out how to harness that in my day to day life. 
    Today, unfortunately, I'm meeting a couple of people for coffee at 2.00pm.  One of them is a retired  where I volunteer and I like her enormously.  This was her idea, and it's clearly important to her for us to get together so I went along with it, but I'd have preferred a morning get together.  It's too late for both lunch and coffee for me, so it'll  be tea and that then suggests something cakey and I'd much rather not.  I'll see what I can think of instead that doesn't have that whiff of Puritanism about it that's still a treat, like a vegetarian sausage roll.
    Better is good enough.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure