The 'Towards a Sugar-Free Future' Challenge

Comments

• Pollybear
    Pollybear Posts: 3,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    I've had a few good days and a few bad days.  Rinse and repeat.  Still, it's better than all bad days and I haven't actually given up yet.  But I do think this is how the rest of my life will go.  Maybe I should just accept that and endeavour to keep on keeping on in the hope that the good and the bad even themselves out.
  • Makingabobor2
    Makingabobor2 Posts: 2,876 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Oh @Honey_Bear, this is exactly how I am feeling now. Wonder it its the time of year or what?  The last couple of days I have had so much chocolate and biscuits. On Monday I bought a pack of 9 x2finger plain choc Kit Kats....they are all gone, and today I have had Time Out bar....x 2! This is as well as some of my lovely dark choc that I like. I think it my fault as I bought then to put aside as snacks for when we go on holiday in 5 weeks time......silly idea! Plus what a waste of money, that I don't really have to waste. Also I seem to have stopped eating as much protein and fruit again.  
    So I am having a complete reset as well, and going to try eating bigger healthier breakfasts and proper lunches, and then maybe I'll be able to cope better.  I've also been cold which doesn't help and very reluctant to have to put the heat on at this time of year. 
    So fingers crossed we can all do better, even if only a bit better. Every little step forward, is at least one step forward and not backwards. 
    Good luck everybody. x
    Making the debt go down and savings go up

LBM 2015 - debt £57K / Now £33,676

Mortgage 04/24  £17,400 Officially ends June '26 but plan to be MF sooner
    Total OPs 2022 - £240   2023 - £1766
    OPs so far in 2024 £581.00

Challenges

EF #68  £335/£1000
    1p a Day '24 #12  £76/£667.  SPC '24 #41 £13.75
    Christmas '24 £12. 

Make £5 a day - Apr £78.82/£150            
    NSDs April 7/15

My debt free diary...https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6396218/we-will-get-this-debt-down-the-savings-up

• Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I'm sorry you're having an equally frustrating time Making, but the fact that you've said that you are means a lot to me - I think it is to do with the weather - the lack of sun, the being cold, the rain, the waiting for decent weather to finally begin, all of it. 
    Belovéd is due to go away for a week's holiday in the sun so I'll be digging in to a few early nights, eating differently and getting on with things without having to explain what I want to do who then offers 'helpful' suggestions ....  Love him to bits but the only thing I know I'm good at is planning!
    In the meantime I'm being kind to myself and not beating myself up for not being able to stick to being sugarfree. 
    Better is good enough.
  • Makingabobor2
    I think women are a lot better at planning than men, on all subjects. My DH hasn't got a clue about anything....except at work where they think he's fantastic and he can run an office with his eyes shut, but ask him anything at home and he looks at me like I've asked him to cut his right arm off.....lol.  
    Early nights might help you. TBH, I haven't been sleeping very well some nights, wonder if there's a connection?  
    Lets hope we get through the weekend ok and see how next week goes. 

Challenges

EF #68  £335/£1000
    Christmas '24 £12. 

NSDs April 7/15

My debt free diary...https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6396218/we-will-get-this-debt-down-the-savings-up

• Honey_Bear
    PollyBear, I don't think we should ever give up on the idea that we can improve our health and habits, but I do think there are times when we just can't keep on trying and I'm going through one of those right now.  I want that to be as short a period as possible - December, January and the beginning of February were not good as far as I'm concerned, but then Lent was brilliant.
    I'm at that point again where every day is a real struggle, but and these are the key points:
    1.  I can go sugar and chocolate free for 46 days with very few blips; and
    2.  I can do four and a half / five days a week for weeks on end sometimes; and
    3.  This is all new behaviour, after 67 years of indulgence; and
    4.  I've achieved some modicum of self-control for the first time in my life using this Challenge.
    I'm taking time out right now because I need to figure out why I can't just resist sugar and chocolate easily, but safe and secure within the knowledge that over the past 18 months I've improved my health by adopting hard-to-adapt-to new habits, and I'm amazed by that success. 
    I'm not giving up, I just can't let myself do that, but I would love to find either a method or a mindset that means I don't have to work so hard at this all the time.
    I'm currently thinking about the fact that there are date-sweetened things that I use on days when I get real cravings and there's a real possibility that may be doing some of the damage.  I'm trying to figure out a satisfying go to 'treat' that isn't sweet, that is self-limiting (cheese isn't - I can eat that all day every day) that doesn't involve dates or grape juice or other such sweeteners.  Something yummy, so that it replaces the sugar thing.  I haven't figured it out yet, but in the meantime I'm not beating myself up if I indulge a bit. 
    Belovéd's dark chocolate Easter egg that I bought him has disappeared.  I may have had something to do with that ....
    Better is good enough.
  • TimSynths
    TimSynths Posts: 603 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    I've been sugar free four weeks today, no wobbles or cheats and feel fine. Resting heart rate is down to 78bpm from 90bpm. Managed to get a few walks in first thing before 7am, easier now it has finally started to warm up and be dry and have covered 42kms in April, should smash this in May.

My jeans are a lot more comfortable now too and although I haven't weighed myself (Too embarrassed and ashamed 4 weeks ago) I know ive lost a lot of weight, might be brave and have a look tomorrow, hopefully I'll be under 100kg, id like to get to 80kg.

Ive eaten a lot of pork and chicken with broccoli, green beans and cauliflower and lots of eggs for breakfast and lots of snacking on olives when ive felt the need.
  • Makingabobor2
    Well done @TimSynths. Sounds like a very healthy diet. I love eggs, but found if I had too many they can be a bit "binding"...lol.  But definitely think protein and veg is the way to go.  

@Honey_Bear, I think that's the thing isn't it? Working out why we can't resist it.  TBH, I think its because its easy and a quick fix and if I had other better snacks in the house, maybe I would eat them instead.  I do think my diet is lacking protein again lately and I am hoping to rectify that. I am also finding I'm not sleeping very well some nights lately and getting headaches. So wondering if that is due to some sort of deficiency in my diet....or just too much sugar.  So far today, I have had about 3 squares of the really dark chocolate, but only 1 shortbread biscuit. Had oatibix with banana & blueberries for breakfast and just toast for lunch. Think that's where I slip up, not having a proper lunch. Dinner is going to be healthy, turkey and veg, but I really need to get the lunch more organised. Maybe start buying more salad ingredients to have in the house. Also I used to eat a lot of sardines, but seem to have stopped that. Must get back on them again. 
    I'm sure you can do it again @Honey_Bear, like you say, you have done it before.   Wonder if its harder as we get older? I always imagined you were a lot younger than me, but when you said you had 67 years of indulgence, you are probably not.....I'm almost 66. 

Challenges

EF #68  £335/£1000
    Christmas '24 £12. 

NSDs April 7/15

• Honey_Bear
    You're smashing it TimSynths!  Well done.  It sounds as though you're giving yourself a total makeover so good luck with the whole process.  Are you doing this by yourself or are you following an established regime? 
    I've got a week starting tomorrow when Belovéd is away on holibobs with his bestie, so I'll be able to be more choosey about what I eat, when I eat, when I go to bed and when I switch the light out.  I have a very strong feeling I could do with a bit more sleep and I should be self-disciplined enough to do all of this properly while he's around but I enjoy his company so much I tend to go along with whatever he does and he's much more physically resilient than I am.

Better is good enough.
  • TimSynths
    TimSynths Posts: 603 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    You're smashing it TimSynths!  Well done.  It sounds as though you're giving yourself a total makeover so good luck with the whole process.  Are you doing this by yourself or are you following an established regime? 
    I've got a week starting tomorrow when Belovéd is away on holibobs with his bestie, so I'll be able to be more choosey about what I eat, when I eat, when I go to bed and when I switch the light out.  I have a very strong feeling I could do with a bit more sleep and I should be self-disciplined enough to do all of this properly while he's around but I enjoy his company so much I tend to go along with whatever he does and he's much more physically resilient than I am.

I hadn't thought of it as a total makeover but having read your (kind) comment ive realised that is exactly what I am doing- thanks it has nudged my motivation up a little bit more.

Its easier for me as I only have myself to please and cook for, the down side is that its harder for me as there is no one telling me to keep going not to eat that Ben & Jerrys etc- hence the situation I am in. This thread and all your updates are helping me though so thanks all. 
  • Makingabobor2
    We are all helping each other @TimSynths, and I find everybody so motivating. Especially your idea of getting up and walking early in the morning. Its by far the best time of day. 

Challenges

EF #68  £335/£1000
    Christmas '24 £12. 

NSDs April 7/15

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback