The 'Towards a Sugar-Free Future' Challenge

Comments

• SkyChild
    SkyChild Posts: 51 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Hello all! Completely fell off the wagon and realised that actually sugar isn't my main problem. I tend to have lots of crisps and THEN go "Stuff it" and have sweeties on the top. Yes, proper old fashioned sweeties that pull teeth out and make your tongue blue and your eyes water. 

SO
    Feeling determined once again. Have asked husband mine to go back to what he used to do. If he wants to treat me to a little something - please buy flowers or seeds or a gardening magazine instead of something edible. Because at the end of the day, scoffing crisps and then sitting around feeling all fat and sluggish isn't a treat. 
  • TimSynths
    TimSynths Posts: 603 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    SkyChild said:
    Hello all! Completely fell off the wagon and realised that actually sugar isn't my main problem. I tend to have lots of crisps and THEN go "Stuff it" and have sweeties on the top. Yes, proper old fashioned sweeties that pull teeth out and make your tongue blue and your eyes water. 

SO
    Feeling determined once again. Have asked husband mine to go back to what he used to do. If he wants to treat me to a little something - please buy flowers or seeds or a gardening magazine instead of something edible. Because at the end of the day, scoffing crisps and then sitting around feeling all fat and sluggish isn't a treat. 
    I love (and miss) crisps, they are probably the one thing that I crave the most. Lost a crown to a jelly bean last August, dentist not able to replace it, I miss jelly beans too but am slightly more motivated not to eat them.

I think flowers are much nicer too!
  • lianne1984
    lianne1984 Posts: 303 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hello, I'd love to get involved in this too! Sugar is a massive issue for me. Here's to No Sugar Mondays  :#
    February NSDs: 0 / 10
    February PADs:  2 / 29
    February Groceries Challenge: £59 / £250
    February Make £5 a Day: £255 / £145
    Current Debt: £3159  | CC £1490 | N £571 | C £725 | E £373
    Weight Loss Challenge 2024: 0 lbs

• Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Hi everyone.  Sorry I haven't been posting as much as usual. 
    How's it going today @lianne1978 - I've been thinking of you while I've been doing the housework.  Do we know each other from somewhere else?
    Tim and Making - crisps give me indigestion for some reason although I absolutely love them, so I turned to lentil snacks instead.  Lid1 does a rather nice one that I like so I buy crisps for Belovéd and lentil snacks for me.  That works for us.  Regarding your Ben and Jerry's temptation Tim, I suggest simply skipping that bit of the supermarket.  Fortunately for me Morribunds puts the biscuits and the chocolate on the same aisle so I just don't go down it, thus avoiding temptation.  If they're in the house I'll eat them.
    I've been thinking through what I can realistically hope to achieve at the moment and why it's suddenly been so hard after Lent being so successful and then having a week of pure indulgence. 
    And that, I've come to realise, is the problem.  It's the aftermath of the self-indulgent thing I can't really cope with.  Once I go down the road of eating waaaaaay more chocolate than a normal person should at one sitting I simply can't just stop the next day or the next day or the next day again.  It takes a complete reset and let's be honest, that's tough.
    So, I've been allowing myself to eat what we had in the house but not allowing myself to buy anything with sugar in it.  I finished an open packet of biscuits and then opened the new one, but that's all Beloveéd keeps in the house (he's away on holibobs) so that eventually put a stop to the two or three biscuits at tea time, which is my danger time of day.
    I don't have any chocolate so much as I know I'd enjoy it I haven't allowed myself to buy any and that's been fine - a few cravings for the first few days, hence the biscuits at teatime but no other withdrawal symptoms, nothing. 
    On Saturday a neighbour came around who really wanted a cream tea while we were watching the coronation.  He's a vegan and I'd baked some of Paul Hollywood's receipt scones (fabulous, he's a bit of an idiot but his recipe is fullproof) he bought the cream and strawberry jam and we had a couple of scones each.  (The dog had stotolen two and a half while they were cooling, so she's in the doghouse, quite literally.)  I enjoyed it, but I don't need to have any more so they are safely in the freezer for when Belovéd and I can watch the whole thing together, as where he is there's no TV and the only bit he saw on his mobile was the crowning bit of the ceremony.
    What I've discovered is why Lent was so successful.  The more sugar I eat, the more I can enjoy but I can live without much trouble after a few days but chocolate is not the same.  The more I eat, the more I want, and there is no amount that will ever be enough.  Lent was relatively easy because although I had a tiny bit a very few times, that tiny bit didn't flick the switch in my brain to give me cravings.  I can honestly say that realising that is a HUGE deal for me, but only became clear after about 10 days of thinking about it, and not allowing myself to buy any.  I just can't have it in the house.  It's as simple as that. 
    So, going forward, I'm going to use what I discovered about myself in Lent.  I am just cutting out chocolate completely except on High Days and Holidays, and not as I used to do, allowing myself any during the week or most weekends.  It's helpful that there are three bank holidays this month because that will ease me into it but I don't envisage buying any to have on Monday this week because - why would I want to do that to myself?  I need to be able to control these urges and having chocolate in the house means that becomes problematic.
    I did have a fabulous hot chocolate when we went to see a beautiful, beautiful film called A Yak in the Classroom - absolutely beautiful, proper three hankie weepie.  We're really lucky to live within walking distance of both a multiplex and an arts cinema, and I have to say I'd rather have the hot chocolate at the arts cinema and watch a film with subtitles than live with the smell of popcorn at the multiplex.  Anyway - I wouldn't have had the hot chocolate anywhere else because it's made with actual chocolate there and was wonderful, well worth indulging, but that's the only chocolate I've had recently. 
    So, from here on in for the foreseeable future I will be allowing myself sugary things occasionally when I can't resist it, but chocolate only on high days and holidays.

Better is good enough.
  • lianne1984
    Oh I'm not sure @Honey_Bear, you'll have to let me know where you think you may know me from. :)

So today we went for a lovely meal out with some family, which is something we don't do very often, so I allowed myself to eat as I wished, and move my No Sugar Day to tomorrow, so we're going for a No Sugar Tuesday this week instead. I had a -3.5lb loss on the scales this morning so I wasn't too hard on myself for making this decision.  :D
    Hope everyone that went for it today had a successful day!

• Honey_Bear
    No Sugar Days are flexible that way, Lianne.  Whatever day works for you this week is exactly the right day.  I hope the meal was lovely and today's going well.  (I thought you might have been a contributor years ago on another thread by another name, but obviously not if you don't know which one that is!)
    Better is good enough.
  • Honey_Bear
    I may have posted this before, but having just listened to it again it's worthwhile posting it for those that haven't watched / listened to this, about glucose levels in the body and the effects they are linked to regarding our health.

Better is good enough.
  • TimSynths
    TimSynths Posts: 603 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    I may have posted this before, but having just listened to it again it's worthwhile posting it for those that haven't watched / listened to this, about glucose levels in the body and the effects they are linked to regarding our health.

Thanks for this, not seen it before and I'm watching it now. Funnily enough I started on the Apple Cider Vinegar at lunch time today.
  • Makingabobor2
    Makingabobor2 Posts: 2,876 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    @Honey_Bear, was only watching a clip with this lady the other day. Going to start reading her books. It does make me stop and think and realise that I should stop with the sugar. The weird thing is, the rest of my diet is healthy, loads of veg & fruit, no red meat, plenty of fish and chicken, its just that sugar!  
    Heard today about someone I knew who was only about 10 years older than me had passed away and it was another thing that made me put my life in perspective. Knowing that an acidic body is bad for nasty cells to grow in.  Hoping I can now really cut down and knock it on the head. 

Hope everyone is doing ok
    Making the debt go down and savings go up

LBM 2015 - debt £57K / Now £33,676

Mortgage 04/24  £17,400 Officially ends June '26 but plan to be MF sooner
    Total OPs 2022 - £240   2023 - £1766
    OPs so far in 2024 £581.00

Challenges

EF #68  £335/£1000
    1p a Day '24 #12  £76/£667.  SPC '24 #41 £13.75
    Christmas '24 £12. 

Make £5 a day - Apr £78.82/£150            
    NSDs April 7/15

My debt free diary...https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6396218/we-will-get-this-debt-down-the-savings-up

• lianne1984
    No Sugar Days are flexible that way, Lianne.  Whatever day works for you this week is exactly the right day.  I hope the meal was lovely and today's going well.  (I thought you might have been a contributor years ago on another thread by another name, but obviously not if you don't know which one that is!)
    Ohh I used to be on here years ago under a different name, I think it was Happy84 or something similar? But I'm not sure I was much of a regular contributor  :)

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts