The 'Towards a Sugar-Free Future' Challenge

Comments

• ~FlowerPot~
    ~FlowerPot~ Posts: 994 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Hello lovelies, I hope you have all had a good weekend. We have had some smashing weather down here.
    I have been mulling over my approach to eating over the last few weeks (its not been good) I have have decided to try something a little radical to see if it helps. I feel quite empowered today by my decision and its been good today, but whether it will last when things get stressful is another matter.
    SO im going to try intermittant fasting so eat the evenng meal and have a small sweet aftertaste like a couple of squares of chocolate and then nothing until 12 the next day so that 15 to 16 hours of not eating. I have always been a bit something or nothing. So im hoping that this just might work. I do have a sweet tooth and when i have a cup of coffee or tea I generally have something sweet to go with it. So also avoiding hot drinks!!! Today was fine, I had lunch (tuna and cheese melt sandwich and was so full I didnt have anything thing until i was cooking tea which was a few blueberries. And Ive had tea and a small amount of chocolate brownie and I honestly dont want any more. I dont know whats wrong with me!!! Anyway its worked for 1 day, lets see how tomorrow goes!!! Im not completely giving up on the sugar/chocolate yet, but by reducing the eating window to 6 or 7 hours Im automatically cutting out the amount of time I could be looking for sweet foos to eat!!!

How is everyone else doing? I hope its ok to share my new plan!
    Flowers x
    ♥️2024 challenges
    #4 365 1p a day challenge 2024 ~ £295/£760🌸
    #6 £1 a day challenge 2024 ~ £152/366 🌸 Decluttering 2024🎖️🎖️🎖️🏅🏅🥇🌸 DS2🏅🏅DD 🥇🌸 #2 52 week Cash stuffing challenge 🌸
    PA challenge £60 a month - Jan ✅ /Feb ✅/Mar ✅ /Apr/May/ Jun/Jul/Aug /Sep/Oct/Nov/Dec 🌸
  • lianne1984
    lianne1984 Posts: 303 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hello all, right today IS going to be my first NO SUGAR day and I'm declaring it here so I have to stick to it!  :disappointed:
    Breakfast is always a shake which I know does inc fructose & stevia but I don't really want to cut these out as I'm getting good results from these. Otherwise, all meals / snacks / drinks will be completely sugar free (unless natural sugars ofc)

I will use this space to update and keep myself accountable. 
    February NSDs: 0 / 10
    February PADs:  2 / 29
    February Groceries Challenge: £59 / £250
    February Make £5 a Day: £255 / £145
    Current Debt: £3159  | CC £1490 | N £571 | C £725 | E £373
    Weight Loss Challenge 2024: 0 lbs

• ~FlowerPot~
    Hello all, right today IS going to be my first NO SUGAR day and I'm declaring it here so I have to stick to it!  :disappointed:
    Breakfast is always a shake which I know does inc fructose & stevia but I don't really want to cut these out as I'm getting good results from these. Otherwise, all meals / snacks / drinks will be completely sugar free (unless natural sugars ofc)

I will use this space to update and keep myself accountable. 

Well, done i do think telling people does make you more accountible and therefore more liketly to stick to it. Let us know tonight how its gone.

Im on day 4 of my IF and its going really well although its very early days. I am definetly snacking less. This morning has been the first morning I have felt hungry and have a looked at theclock a few times, but have not caved. So im kinda trying it out and wiating to eat untill about 12 and then eat as i want until about 6 or 7 depending on the timiing of out evening meal. It does seem to apply to my all or nothing nature. Will carry on and see how it goes!!
    ♥️2024 challenges
    #6 £1 a day challenge 2024 ~ £152/366 🌸 Decluttering 2024🎖️🎖️🎖️🏅🏅🥇🌸 DS2🏅🏅DD 🥇🌸 #2 52 week Cash stuffing challenge 🌸
    PA challenge £60 a month - Jan ✅ /Feb ✅/Mar ✅ /Apr/May/ Jun/Jul/Aug /Sep/Oct/Nov/Dec 🌸
  • lianne1984
    lianne1984 Posts: 303 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I did it, my first sugar free day!  o:)

There were some moments during the day that I went to grab a sugary snack or biscuit, and it was hard knowing there was half a bottle of Lucozade in the fridge which is my vice! I definitely need to get out of the habit of needing to reach for something sweet after a meal as I really noticed the need for it today. 

But I managed the whole day without any sugar.

I feel really tired this evening though, not sure if it's linked. But I'm definitely going to go for a sugar free day once a week for a while.

Well done on your IF FlowerPot , I don't eat after 6pm but I can't manage waiting until 12 to eat so well done you!!
    February NSDs: 0 / 10
    February PADs:  2 / 29
    February Groceries Challenge: £59 / £250
    February Make £5 a Day: £255 / £145
    Current Debt: £3159  | CC £1490 | N £571 | C £725 | E £373
    Weight Loss Challenge 2024: 0 lbs

• ~FlowerPot~
    Lianne1984 - well done, you did it!
    I too usually want a sweet treat after eating and that can include after breakfast too, which is just silly.
    Im really quite enjoying the IF, seeing it as a challenge and because my will power is stronger in the morning I seem to be able to last until 12 and then by then evening because I've managed all day i don't want to spoil the hard work.
    Not sugar free, but definetely cut down. After tea tonight was 2 squares of choc rather than the whole bar!! 
    ♥️2024 challenges
  • Makingabobor2
    Makingabobor2 Posts: 2,860 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Well after having quite a lot of days of really bad IBS & reflux, I have come to the conclusion that it is definitely sugar/biscuits/cake etc causing it.  I kept a log of what I'd actually eaten and I was really in the middle of a bad patch of eating far too much c***.  Went shopping the other day to stock up on some bits to take away with us in a couple of weeks and bought a 6 pack of 2 finger Kit Kats.....well they never even made it to the holiday bag, I scoffed the lot in less than 2 days!  So I have decided enough is enough, I have got to the stage now where I am really worried about my health with the excess sugar, so it has to stop.  Yesterday was a good day and all I had was half a square of 90% chocolate. Today I went shopping and bought a cherry madeira cake, as it was low sugar compared to the biscuits etc. Well I cut off a small slice and it just tasted so dry and made me feel so bloated straight away, I've chucked the rest in the bin...that was a waste of £1.99!
    The other thing I've realised is that I must remember to eat a proper lunch, and it must be something healthy. Think I've said this before, but still not done it most days. 
    Not been sleeping at all well lately either, and not sure if the sugar etc is anything to do with it. Tried to see a dr to discuss if maybe I am deficient in any vitamins/minerals etc, but they have no non urgent appointments until the end of June, and then not with the drs that I prefer.  Its worrying isn't it?  They won't see non urgent cases, but the longer they are left, they have more chance of becoming urgent. 

So enough of my waffle, I am going to try and post more often and that way, I may make myself more accountable and actually get to feel better and stop wasting money on chocolate etc. 
    Hope everyone else is doing ok. 

Making the debt go down and savings go up

LBM 2015 - debt £57K / Now £33,676

Mortgage 04/24  £17,400 Officially ends June '26 but plan to be MF sooner
    Total OPs 2022 - £240   2023 - £1766
    OPs so far in 2024 £581.00

Challenges

EF #68  £335/£1000
    1p a Day '24 #12  £76/£667.  SPC '24 #41 £12.93
    Christmas '24 £12. 

Make £5 a day - Apr £36.30/£150            
    NSDs April 6/15

My debt free diary...https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6396218/we-will-get-this-debt-down-the-savings-up

• Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 26 May 2023 at 4:50PM
    I'm so sorry I haven't been contributing recently but I've been eating sugar pretty much every day and feeling as though I've let the side down and myself.  I haven't gone back to eating the amount I used to eat except once, which all things considered isn't that much of a problem given that it used to be every single day.  I'm pleased with that, but not with the fact that I can't get past these cravings mid-afternoon.  Nothing seems to stop them and you'd think that having radically overhauled my diet over the past 21 months that wouldn't be the case.
    I firmly believe that having protein three times a day is a game changer, that I wasn't eating nearly enough protein before, and that upping my liquid intake has also made a huge difference.  I'm certain that eating more fruit and veg is a good thing, and I don't intend to change that back to the old way of doing things which was a bit hit and miss but other than that I'm in a bit of a quandry as to how to get myself back on track.
    It's particuarly galling after managing Lent so easily.  I'm not giving up but I'm taking a bit of a back seat until I get back on track.
    Congraulations Lianne on managing your fist sugar-free day - the first is absolutely the hardest because you don't know you can do it.  After that, you know you can and that helps enormously.
    Better is good enough.
  • TimSynths
    TimSynths Posts: 603 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Now 8 weeks to the day of being sugar free and i've lost another 2.5kg over the last 4 weeks.

Found it fairly easy to stick to and over the last 8 weeks I have had one curry with rice at a friends to celebrate booking a holiday to Egypt in November- blood sugar went through the roof, i'm testing religiously at least 3-4 times a day now.

I went to my parents on Tuesday and I had some bread and pate for lunch and on my return I may have smashed a kebab and chips- they tasted good! and on the car journey up their I had one Starburst- I know living dangerously.

I don't really have any cravings and I am also eating a lot less, smaller portions and no real snacking between meals, if I do need something I'll have a slice of cheese with some cucumber or a handful of pecan nuts- when I can get them as Lidl seem to be permanently sold out when ever I go- useless.

Supplement wise I'm taking Apple Cider Vinegar and Cinnamon tablets. Steak and asparagus tonight!
  • ~FlowerPot~
    Hi (((waves)))
    How is everyone doing?
    I am still (most days) not eating until lunch and then stopping after tea. ALthough I dont feel as though I have lost much weight it has definitely helped cut down on all the cr*p food and snacking. especailly after tea when I'm not really even hungry. I still have a little something sweet like a couple of squares of chocloate after my tea, but then thats it. yey!!
    ♥️2024 challenges
  • Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Well done Flower Pot.  I'm still ignoring the nagging voice in my head that tells me to get back on the Sugar Free Wagon, so I'm in awe of anyone who has the self-discipline to keep going.  I'll get back to it at some point but right now I just can't face it. 
    Surprisingly I haven't put on anything like the amount of weight I thought I would, but the trend is upwards not downwards, which is understandable but annoying nonetheless.
    Better is good enough.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure