🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Halving our income and still aiming for mortgage free!

Options

Comments

• Orangetoes
    Options
    Congratulations on the merit in your masters what was it in? I've just started a masters in educational leadership, one module complete! 
    Great work on all the OPs! 
  • smetf
    smetf Posts: 272 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi Orangetoes - it was a general Masters in Education. I really enjoyed it despite the ups and downs of Covid and working life! Haven't ruled out a PhD one day...

Good luck with yours!
    S
    Emergency fund 10k Holiday/ home fund 5k
      Mortgage £61774.65
  • smetf
    Options
    A busy week ahead, eldest returns from uni and we have friends visiting from Australia. I'm working till Friday but OH finishes today and then we're both working Boxing Day (I don't have to but makes sense to get a day done whilst he is and it should be super quiet so I can write blogs and get the e-learning sorted).

We had a pricey Aldi shop last night but are pretty much sorted, although we have a treats buying shop from vouchers at M and S planned for Christmas dinner bits. 

I've had a better run on surveys but like my nice round 10k OP this year so am building it up to make a good start in Jan. 

Here's to spending a good chunk of time with the family and chilling out over the next few weeks!
      Mortgage £61774.65
  • smetf
    Options
    Hope everyone had a good Christmas. We had a lovely few chilled days - all much improved over last year's Covid Christmas and lots of time spent as a family.
    It's absolutely pouring down here and I'm heading out for coffee with a friend so am putting off getting wet!
    Had a bit of a fail on the M and S voucher as OH had forgotten he'd used the voucher for some new bedding so didn't have quite as much on as he had thought! However it still wasn't too pricey and is well within normal spending. I did a small order of recycled wrapping paper, cards, tags and crackers on Boxing Day so that will help keep next year's costs down - and the Aldi14.99 Xmas tree is still looking good!
    I've been pottering on with the odd survey so growing the OP pot for January already as well as starting to have a good look at my pensions (that is not so positive). Plan is currently to start making additional payments next year - and ramp them up once the mortgage is done. I still have one pension to find the details for, plus self-employment registration for me and the middle one.

Right better get sorted to head out in the rain!
      Mortgage £61774.65
  • smetf
    Options
    If anyone can help with my signature is all in a long row and how I fix it would be much appreciated!  I'm on my 5th attempt at updating and have sorted figures but can't do the spacing...
      Mortgage £61774.65
  • smetf
    Options
    Happy New Year all 🎉
    First OP of 2023 made today. Standard OP of 383.81 made plus 32.54 in the survey pot. Not sure if there will be much more to add this month but a good start.
      Mortgage £61774.65
  • smetf
    Options
    Been paid from one of my jobs and decided to make an OP with it as savings are looking pretty healthy this month. Another £200 into the pot!
      Mortgage £61774.65
  • smetf
    Options
    Another 100 OP today. We've been in discussion with middle child re rent and contributing to the household. He's pretty good at joining in with chores and he doesn't do many hours but he agreed a 20% rent. I have read quite a bit on taking 40% and then using half to build up a pot for him for the future but he is really good at saving and he has set up his own saving pots and an ISA so I'm happy to leave that to him.
    This month is the last month of CB for youngest as she's dropped out of college so the rent feels like bonus money hence the OP (with some survey income to round up).
      Mortgage £61774.65
  • smetf
    Options
    Hi all,

A good start to Feb, usual 383.81 OP made plus have made an extra of 200.23 today - council tax equivalent, surveys and a little round up.
    We have booked a Feb break away but it won't need to come out of the holiday fund as my OH did 3 days overtime to pay for it.
    Not feeling like I've got the work life balance quite right this month- 3 jobs and lots of extras related to politics has meant a very busy month! Need to improve this next month!
      Mortgage £61774.65
  • smetf
    Options
    Hi everyone,

March has kicked off with  the usual 383.81 OP plus an extra of 200 - council tax equivalent, surveys and a little round up.

I need to do a bit of pot checking as have started booking accommodation for our holiday to France so spending the holiday budget. Barely done a survey over the past month so my extra little OPs have really dropped off.

Generally all ticking along ok though.
      Mortgage £61774.65
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills