Halving our income and still aiming for mortgage free!

Options

Comments

• smetf
    smetf Posts: 272 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Not much survey action recently but have had a good MSE blast today - prompted by messages to say our mobile deals are going up, we did a bit of shopping around and have both improved our deals and reduced the cost. We've never had expensive contracts but a 1.09 reduction for me, 4 for DH and when we sign up the eldest it'll be another 3 (with even greater savings the first 3 months plus cashback for referring each other). The youngest two are on £5 deals already so probably not worth swapping - need to have a think whether the reduction and referral might make it worth the hassle. 
    Off to Wales tomorrow to visit my dad and step mum so looking forward to that. We last saw them at the end of our drive as we had Covid! 
    S
    Emergency fund 10k Holiday/ home fund 5k
      Mortgage £61774.65
  • smetf
    Options
    Quick pop in to say paid our usual £167.19 OP plus have added £160 from no council tax this month. Updated signature but will check mortgage balance when those have cleared in a few days.
    Have a good day all.
    S
      Mortgage £61774.65
  • smetf
    Options
    On the final leg of our journey home from Paris, it's been a lovely break away and have enjoyed the time with family. Think we've managed to do stuff that they've all enjoyed overall, although they've not necessarily all enjoyed everything! 
    Been a spendy few days but nothing we didn't budget for and eating out was significantly cheaper than I thought it would be, with the equivalent of 5 adults. Planning an Aldi pizza night rather than takeaway though.
    Managed an extra £70 OP just before we left, a third of an unexpected tax refund and cashed in 4 survey sites simultaneously. Can't remember if I updated signature accordingly so will have to check that against spreadsheet at home! 
    After my very busy working month in January the temporary savings are looking very healthy so am hoping I can pay a bit more off at the end of the month!
    S
      Mortgage £61774.65
  • smetf
    Options
    Had a fairly busy end of month.
    Made my regular OP of 167.19 and updated sig. So looking forward to the mortgage starting with an 8...
    Have made small loan to eldest to keep her going till the next student loan arrives so the extra payoff is on hold. She's pretty good with money but lack of a job has hit, it does mean she has a serious plan for working this summer as she is keen not to be in this position again!
    Just planned this weeks meals, should be able to keep the bill at Aldi under 70 when I go later. Going out for coffee this morning but my boss is paying so we can discuss forthcoming work plans.
    Was planning to cycle but if it's still snowing I might drive and combine it with a recycling trip. Today's mission is to get some admin work done for one of my jobs, some work on my training, and have a bit of a blast on cleaning the downstairs of the house before guests tonight.
    Hope everyone has a good weekend
    S
      Mortgage £61774.65
  • smetf
    Options
    A bonus £50 OP today, £25 in PB wins 🎉 first one ever plus £5 FB sales, and £18 in surveys (plus a little bit of rounding up).
    Can't imagine there'll be much other than surveys this month as got a few expensive things to sort - new sofabed coming tonight (new to us but second hand), need to sort a newer better bike for me, some mandatory kit for an ultra next weekend 😳.
    Although, I did get my entry free thanks to marshalling last year so more MSE than it might have been! Plus I got another job (takes me up to 7, but am quite enjoying the variety)!
      Mortgage £61774.65
  • SuperSecretSquirrel
    Options
    Casual mention of 7 jobs and ultramarathoning during your downtime... 😲
  • smetf
    Options
    Super Secret Squirrel and all less stressful than full time teaching 🤣 
      Mortgage £61774.65
  • smetf
    Options
    Pleased with our weekend spends. Yesterday we went for a bike ride into town and spent £8 on coffee and lunch in the sunshine on our walk around. Today we were going to go for pastries but remembered we had hot cross buns in so did a longer bike ride and had hcbs and coffee at home afterwards. Would like to minimise spending between now and end of April so I can hopefully make another OP.
      Mortgage £61774.65
  • smetf
    Options
    Another NSD today. 
    Washing on the line, very yolky scrambled eggs to use up leftovers from youngest's meringue creation. Checked when A*azon P will end as not going to renew it (mid July, so have set reminder on phone). Requested to switch our Avios points to Nectar points - more useful in terms of what we can use them on. 

Mortgage £61774.65
  • smetf
    Options
    Had a good day today, Aldi shop under £55 and managed to persuade OH to buy bits for a picnic lunch for our day trip to Cumbria to see his mam rather than the meal deal option when we're there. Kids all came too so that saved about £10. I did a small top up in Ms as needed strong white bread flour and not seen it in A for ages. Also got chickpeas and stock cubes without palm oil. Got the washing on the line before we went so that was a bonus too! 
      Mortgage £61774.65
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport