Best instant access ISAs?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in ISAs & Tax-free Savings
14 replies 2.1K views
isasmurfisasmurf Forumite
1.8K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in ISAs & Tax-free Savings
Given that most of the top paying ISAs have recently closed to new investors, or had their interest rate reduced, what are the best buys now?

Yorkshire Building Society e-ISA: 5.2%
transfers in not allowed. Some sites seem to mention a transfer charge but I can't find one in their T&C

Kent Reliance: 5.11%
Partial transfers out not allowed. Do they accept transfers in? they have been known not to in the past.

National Counties: 5.10%
Not Stakeholder standard - although I can't see how it doesn't meet the Stakeholder terms

Then a whole host of ISAs at 5%.

Before anyone mentions it, yes I know about the First Direct e-ISA, but I don't see its worth mentioning with the bonus interest rate being reduced in 4 months.

Is any of this wrong? Anyone know of any more paying more than 5%?

Replies

• alaredalared Forumite
    4K Posts
    LTSB pay up to 5.15% depending on how much is in the account.
    They have always been pretty consistant moreorless following what the BoE has done.
  • MJSWMJSW Forumite
    171 Posts
    Halifax Direct ISA Saver (phone operated account): 5.15%.
  • Kazza242Kazza242 Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Teachers Building Society's mini cash ISA pays 5.15%.

Melton Mowbray Building Society pays 5.07%.

Safeway's ISA account pays 5.05%.
    Please call me 'Kazza'.
  • steady__eddiesteady__eddie Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Uniform Washer
    ✭✭✭
    Kent Reliance accepted my transfer in last July. I found that the downside was however that they do not pay the interest to a nominated a/c. If you want the interest, you have to request it by letter. Good if you are not prone to comfort spending.
  • Kent Reliance accepted my transfer in last July. I found that the downside was however that they do not pay the interest to a nominated a/c. If you want the interest, you have to request it by letter. Good if you are not prone to comfort spending.
    Isn't it normally better for the interest to stay in the tax-free ISA wrapper anyway?

Certainly true what you say about comfort spending :cool:
  • cjn_2cjn_2 Forumite
    25 Posts
    HSBC pay 5.25%, although only on balances above 15k. Below that rates are fairly low.
  • muddyfox470muddyfox470 Forumite
    589 Posts
    National Counties Building Society currently has a Guaranteed ISA which is paying 5.5% and is guaranteed to be at that rate until 6th April IIRC, but will also always be 0.5% above BoE base rate.

Have a l00k on https://www.moneyfacts.co.uk it is currently their best buy, and has eben featured in many papers. It is instant access and can be controlled via Chaps payments etc.

Have a look at their website https://www.ncbs.co.uk for more info.

Hope that helps

Ian
    Student Moneysaving Expert :beer:
  • YorkshireBoyYorkshireBoy Forumite
    31.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is instant access and can be controlled via Chaps payments etc.
    Isn't "Chaps" an expensive way of moving money around though?
  • Kazza242Kazza242 Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    National Counties Building Society currently has a Guaranteed ISA which is paying 5.5% and is guaranteed to be at that rate until 6th April IIRC, but will also always be 0.5% above BoE base rate.

Have a l00k on https://www.moneyfacts.co.uk it is currently their best buy, and has eben featured in many papers. It is instant access and can be controlled via Chaps payments etc.

Have a look at their website https://www.ncbs.co.uk for more info.
    Ian

There are penalties though, should you wish to transfer out of this ISA. A charge equivalent to 10 days' interest at the prevailing rate will be applied to the account. I think that's why many people didn't go for this cash ISA offering.
    Please call me 'Kazza'.
  • MilarkyMilarky Forumite
    6.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kazza242 wrote:
    There are penalties though, should you wish to transfer out of this ISA. A charge equivalent to 10 days' interest at the prevailing rate will be applied to the account. I think that's why many people didn't go for this cash ISA offering.
    That's rich considering the inevitable lost days interest when transferring to a different ISA anyway. On the other hand you can work it out as just 0.151%. [Maybe you could ask them to put a first class stamp on the envelope and wait until Monday morning to post the cheque!]
    .....under construction....
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Ultrafast broadband upgrades

Being made available to more English counties

MSE News

30+ ways to stop scams

Incl tips to spot 'em & what to do if you're scammed

MSE Guides

£37 of No7 beauty products for £12

Available online and in stores

MSE Deals