Easy ticketing rescheduled events

Options

Comments

• tonydathome19
    Options
    I’m in the same position as everyone else - paid £148.50 via PayPal for comedy in the park and requested a refund via PayPal when the original event was rescheduled but PayPal wouldn’t refund as the event was rescheduled not cancelled.  

I asked to reopen my dispute but no joy.  

Do I need to try HSBC before complaining to the ombudsman?

I feel like this is going to impact on thousands of people across the country.  Maybe Martin linseed can help us? 

Good luck everyone. 
    My personal experience with the bank crediting mine straight back is that it has to be worth a try. It will definitely rely on the bank and the person you speak to, so the luck of the drawer. 
    Small claims will be painful, cost another £35 and who knows what you’ll get back. 
    You’re right, there’ll be thousands of us in this position.
    I remember Martin L saying everyone had to ‘pay it forward’ during these unprecedented times. Maybe he should have added the caveat ‘up to 180 days’! There should definitely be protection against this kind of thing and has made me think twice before booking future events.
  • wallislx
    Options
    Spoke to PayPal - they have their scripts in place and won’t shift. Spoke to Halifax who said PayPal should refund 180 either side of event but PayPal disputed this. Went back to Halifax who tried to do a DD indemnity claim but that did not go through either as can’t apply it in these circumstances…. All avenues exhausted for now but live in hope of seeing someone finding a solution (not the odd lucky ones who seem to have just got through to an advisor on a good day) 
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,690 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I’m in the same position as everyone else - paid £148.50 via PayPal for comedy in the park and requested a refund via PayPal when the original event was rescheduled but PayPal wouldn’t refund as the event was rescheduled not cancelled.  

I feel like this is going to impact on thousands of people across the country.  Maybe Martin linseed can help us? 

Good luck everyone. 
    Which ombudsman would that be as I don't think there is one covering event co's.

PayPal are not doing anything wrong. They have 180 days dispute process. Which is over & above you legal consumer rights. If you are thinking FOS then they will agree with PayPal. 
    In effect PP are stumping up the refunds in that 180 days. Rather than you simply becoming a creditor of the company. Which would mean at best pennies in the pound.
    Life in the slow lane
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,138 Forumite
    Options

Good luck everyone. 
    Maybe he could, ahem, oil the wheels you mean?

And Martin has already helped.  He advises people to use credit cards or debit cards wherever possible, for precisely this reason.
  • tonydathome19
    Options

Good luck everyone. 

And Martin has already helped.  He advises people to use credit cards or debit cards wherever possible, for precisely this reason.
    That's not the issue...after 120 days your protection ends. 180 days with PayPal. Most of these people booked the tickets in 2020.
  • born_again
    Options

Good luck everyone. 

That's not the issue...after 120 days your protection ends. 180 days with PayPal. Most of these people booked the tickets in 2020.
    ML is not going to get anyone a refund from any company that is bust.. Unless he's going to dig into his pocket, and we know that won't happen.

There is a max time scale of 540 days for a chargeback on debit/credit cards. So some people will be lucky and fall in that. But far more will not.

August 19, 2020 is 540 from today.

But most of these tickets will have been bought Covid lockdown & out of time.
    Life in the slow lane
  • JonClack
    Options
    After contacting my bank because PayPal would not pay up I spoke with the dispute team at Barclays. Obviously they had already heard of this issue and were very keen to try and help. They took all the details that they needed. My purchase was from March 2021 so was out of the 120 and 180 days time span PayPal and banks allow but I was within the 540 days that are allowed for the non-delivery of an event. I was paid back my full £319 within hours of my phone call. Definitely worth pursuing. 
  • Gixxer28
    Options
    I’m in the same boat. Just over £200 for X3 tickets for Comedy in the Park.

I bought via PayPal which is showing as a DD transfer. PayPal have ignored me, NatWest said likewise, I raised a complaint with Natwest and been written to today saying they cannot do anything since it is a DD and therefore chargeback doesn’t apply.

I’ve put a complaint into the Financial Ombudsman Service and if that goes nowhere I’ll go to Small Claims. It may not be a massive amount of money but I’ve got time on my hands and I’m happy to scrap for my cash.
  • born_again
    Options
    There is no "Non Receipt under DD Guarantee.

Direct Debit Guarantee

• The Guarantee is offered by all banks and building societies that accept instructions to pay Direct Debits
    • If there are any changes to the amount, date or frequency of your Direct Debit the organisation will notify you (normally 10 working days) in advance of your account being debited or as otherwise agreed. If you request the organisation to collect a payment, confirmation of the amount and date will be given to you at the time of the request
    • If an error is made in the payment of your Direct Debit, by the organisation or your bank or building society, you are entitled to a full and immediate refund of the amount paid from your bank or building society
      • If you receive a refund you are not entitled to, you must pay it back when the organisation asks you to
    • You can cancel a Direct Debit at any time by simply contacting your bank or building society. Written confirmation may be required. Please also notify the organisation.

https://www.directdebit.co.uk/DirectDebitExplained/pages/directdebitguarantee.aspx

So complaint to FOS is a waste of time.

Not sure how you would get on with small claims as the co's are no longer trading. So may end up even worse off.
    Life in the slow lane
  • wallislx
    Options
    I have just submitted my dispute - they are logging and looking at what can be done. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback