Options

Comments

• zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,339 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    prowla said:
    zagfles said:
    Car drivers on an NSL signed dual carriageway who think the speed cameras on it are set to 60 so hit the brakes as they approach them. 
    Or more generally those who brake at every speed camera because they haven't got a clue what the speed limit is or what speed they're doing. Or who think speed limits only apply at speed cameras

Or those that break for each one on a stretch of average speed camera covered road.
    That's a good one - I blame the schools for not explaining what "average" means.

Most people don't understand averages. If you drive 10 miles at 70mph and the next 10 miles at 30mph, what is your average speed? If you think it's 50mph, as most people seem to, you don't understand averages.

• Flight3287462
    Flight3287462 Posts: 1,195 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I remember driving on the A82 from Crianlarich in the Scottish Highlands south, and I had a driver in front of me from there til Dunbarton who would slow right down for every oncoming car.  The moment I tried to overtake him, he would speed up.  This happened all  the way to Tarbet on the shores of Loch Lomond when I breathed a sigh of relief and literally shouted hurray when he indicated right to take the A83 towards Lochgilphead.  My joy was short-lived.  Yes he indicated right, and yes, he took the right hand lane.  Yes, he took a hard left right in front of me and went back to his previous behaviours... 

Basically wherever it was safe to pass him, he would speed up and block me, and he would go down to 15-20mph where it would be suicidal lunacy to pass.
    A road I know well being an Argyll boy, you really need to be on the top of your game especially from the head of the loch all the way to Tarbet. On coming coaches and lorries, and the timber lorries will take no prisoners.

I am surprised though you couldn't get passed from Tarbet to Arden  (assuming it wasn't mid summer, when the game's a bogey).
  • Biggus_Dickus
    Biggus_Dickus Posts: 1,636 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    zagfles said:
    prowla said:
    zagfles said:
    Car drivers on an NSL signed dual carriageway who think the speed cameras on it are set to 60 so hit the brakes as they approach them. 
    Or more generally those who brake at every speed camera because they haven't got a clue what the speed limit is or what speed they're doing. Or who think speed limits only apply at speed cameras

Or those that break for each one on a stretch of average speed camera covered road.
    That's a good one - I blame the schools for not explaining what "average" means.

Most people don't understand averages. If you drive 10 miles at 70mph and the next 10 miles at 30mph, what is your average speed? If you think it's 50mph, as most people seem to, you don't understand averages.

Obviously a Douglas Adams fan.  

• zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,339 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    zagfles said:
    prowla said:
    zagfles said:

Obviously a Douglas Adams fan.  

Yup - the ultimate answer to everything. Obvious really.

• Biggus_Dickus
    Biggus_Dickus Posts: 1,636 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    marlot said:
    Stubod said:
    1/ ..driving at the speed limit and getting overtaken.....then when the speed limit ends being stuck behind the overtaker??

2/ ..most hgv drivers as they are very inconsiderate to other drivers..
    I find that most HGV drivers are great.  Especially when I'm on the bike.

But I did pass one who was clearly reading a novel at the wheel.  On the M40.  He was easy to spot as he kept weaving between lane 1 and the hard shoulder.
    ...no need to be coy. 😁
  • ontheroad1970
    ontheroad1970 Posts: 1,606 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 26 June 2021 at 3:05PM
    Options
    I remember driving on the A82 from Crianlarich in the Scottish Highlands south, and I had a driver in front of me from there til Dunbarton who would slow right down for every oncoming car.  The moment I tried to overtake him, he would speed up.  This happened all  the way to Tarbet on the shores of Loch Lomond when I breathed a sigh of relief and literally shouted hurray when he indicated right to take the A83 towards Lochgilphead.  My joy was short-lived.  Yes he indicated right, and yes, he took the right hand lane.  Yes, he took a hard left right in front of me and went back to his previous behaviours... 

Basically wherever it was safe to pass him, he would speed up and block me, and he would go down to 15-20mph where it would be suicidal lunacy to pass.
    A road I know well being an Argyll boy, you really need to be on the top of your game especially from the head of the loch all the way to Tarbet. On coming coaches and lorries, and the timber lorries will take no prisoners.

I am surprised though you couldn't get passed from Tarbet to Arden  (assuming it wasn't mid summer, when the game's a bogey).
    There are definitely plenty of places at the northern end of Loch Lomond where you need care, especially with the state of the road in many places, but he would go down to about 15mph along these bits.  In places where the road was wide enough, he would speed up to 60-65, but the moment another car was in view he would come down to 30.  I would have had to have gone well over 70 to overtake him safely and he had already pulled the "You try and overtake me, and I'll speed up to stop you and then brake to trap you" trick, so I treated him with absolute caution.  I couldn't get my dash cam to work or else I would have marked the section and sent the footage into the police as his driving was very dangerous in places.
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,159 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    zagfles said:
    prowla said:
    zagfles said:

Ok what is the answer then.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,957 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 26 June 2021 at 4:56PM
    Options
    Came across a complete idiot the other day.  60mph road and caught up with a car doing 40mph, typical Scottish A road so little chance of overtaking.  Into 30mph limit and they pull away from me.  Out of limit into a climbing lane.  They had caught up with a lorry just at the end of the 30 and decided that as it was going slower than them they would overtake.  Lorry by now is doing 39mph and they plod on at 40mph.  I can see what is going to happen so drop way back, been here several times before but often it is cars doing 80mph when they realise the long line of traffic in the left hand lane goes all the way to the end of the climbing lane, something that can be seen from half way through the 30mph limit.  Over the big white pull left arrows, across the double white lines, into the cross hatch - with a turn right lane for the other side just ahead - then the Oh xxxx moment when they realise they have run out of road so brake and pull back in behind the lorry.  Some people shouldn't be out on the road.
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,060 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ganga said:
    zagfles said:
    prowla said:
    zagfles said:

Ok what is the answer then.

That is what the the Douglas Adams references meant, 42 mph.

The total distance travelled is 20 miles, the total time taken is 10/70 hours + 10/30hours  = 100/210hours, so the mean average is 20 miles divided by (100/210) which is 42.

There is probably a better way to do it but I can't remember.

I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,264 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Has anyone mentioned the old dears who toddle along at 29mph and slow to almost a full stop indicating to turn left and then realise that it's not the right road so proceed straight ahead verrrrry verrrrrrrrrry slowly regaining their stop speed of 29mph?  Repeatedly?  When I'm trying to get to work on time??  
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback