We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Declined an AIP by every lender

Options
1235»

Comments

• COYI123
    COYI123 Posts: 116 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    COYI123 said:
    Its very very unusual for a barclays aip to require documents.  They usually just give them as acceot, accept subject to further underwriting, or decline.
    Are you sure it wasn't a bdm that saw the documents?   I've not had a case with barclays where they will look at documents prior to aip. I dont even think there is a mechanism for it as document upload only becomes available post application.

Barclays are one of the better ones for self employed clients so you should be fine with the underwriting.

Hard check or soft check isnt what is meant when people talk about credit coming up post aip.  A soft search is still a full look at the report for the lender.   At aip a lender may check experian but at application they might also check equifax.    Thats only usually an issue if its an aip pass with adverse in the background as the lender mighht find more info on another report that they didnt see at dip stage.
    If its just low score as it is in your case then there shouldnt be any reason to worry
    Yes , spoke to my broker and they said we have not one default what so ever so , considering they have gave an AIP and on the AIP it states they have seen and understand my partners situation with being self employed and my broker and estate agents have all said we should be fine 
    I concur with Chasing on this one. Wishing you good luck. 

In my case the AIP was given beginning of April & meant nothing. After saying they were ok with everything Nationwide’s underwriters stretched our case for 11wks then declined because of me being self-employed and taking the last SEISS grant. They had everything from broker at the beginning. If they had an issue then we wouldn’t have gone that way. 

We actually picked up keys to the new house today, we were lucky with Santander, but I had to be excluded from the mortgage, we increased LTV from 80% to 75%, had close calls with affordability due to childcare etc, but our broker and their BDM were really fighting for us. 

So there are ways… so good luck to you both.  
    Thanks mate , hopefully it goes well ! When you applied for the AIP originally did you state that some of your income was the grant ? Because my partner took the grant (only £2000) and we told our broker that got our AIP and they said that’s fine they’ll just deduct the grant amount and use the remaining wage for her , I did mention to the broker about cases like yours and stated we wouldn’t want that to happen to us , and our broker said the reason that happened to a lot of people is because they didn’t state that they took the grant when they was at the AIP stage which I found weird , but well done anyways ! 
  • BigSteveLondon
    BigSteveLondon Posts: 78 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 1 July 2021 at 11:47AM
    Options
    COYI123 said:
    COYI123 said:
    Its very very unusual for a barclays aip to require documents.  They usually just give them as acceot, accept subject to further underwriting, or decline.
    Are you sure it wasn't a bdm that saw the documents?   I've not had a case with barclays where they will look at documents prior to aip. I dont even think there is a mechanism for it as document upload only becomes available post application.

Barclays are one of the better ones for self employed clients so you should be fine with the underwriting.

Hard check or soft check isnt what is meant when people talk about credit coming up post aip.  A soft search is still a full look at the report for the lender.   At aip a lender may check experian but at application they might also check equifax.    Thats only usually an issue if its an aip pass with adverse in the background as the lender mighht find more info on another report that they didnt see at dip stage.
    If its just low score as it is in your case then there shouldnt be any reason to worry
    Yes , spoke to my broker and they said we have not one default what so ever so , considering they have gave an AIP and on the AIP it states they have seen and understand my partners situation with being self employed and my broker and estate agents have all said we should be fine 

In my case the AIP was given beginning of April & meant nothing. After saying they were ok with everything Nationwide’s underwriters stretched our case for 11wks then declined because of me being self-employed and taking the last SEISS grant. They had everything from broker at the beginning. If they had an issue then we wouldn’t have gone that way. 

We actually picked up keys to the new house today, we were lucky with Santander, but I had to be excluded from the mortgage, we increased LTV from 80% to 75%, had close calls with affordability due to childcare etc, but our broker and their BDM were really fighting for us. 

Thanks mate , hopefully it goes well ! When you applied for the AIP originally did you state that some of your income was the grant ? Because my partner took the grant (only £2000) and we told our broker that got our AIP and they said that’s fine they’ll just deduct the grant amount and use the remaining wage for her , I did mention to the broker about cases like yours and stated we wouldn’t want that to happen to us , and our broker said the reason that happened to a lot of people is because they didn’t state that they took the grant when they was at the AIP stage which I found weird , but well done anyways ! 
    Hey

My partner is full time, I’m self employed. I supplied 3years of accounts and was scored highly at AIP stage. Actually it was our second AIP as we got one before we searched for property (was actually offered more), then did another mortgage search after we made our offer. 

I think it’s a combo of what the other brokers in your thread wrote. They didn’t go deep enough at AIP stage. Even after a call from Broker who explained our situation we were cleared to proceed, confirmed by the bank directly with us. 
    Once underwriters got involved, and the policy’s were changing weekly, then more and more questions came. Each with a 6day response time. Firstly about my partners bonuses, then my savings account, then recent statements (which showed the grant), then requests for stuff they already had, then silence. Only after constant chasing did we find the underwriters had written ‘rejected’ on our file without notifying us. Broker was mad as hell and they couldn’t really own up to anything other than to request the impossible… statements going into the future showing my increased income… so we gave up with them. 

If they were clear on their policy in the beginning our broker wouldn’t have approached them. NatWest, my bank for decades, we’re clear that if you had SEISS from June 2020 you won’t get a mortgage offer. So we stayed clear. 

Like I said… good luck with yours. 

Deducting the £2k SEISS from your figures is cool, but it will show up in the bank statements. That’s when the questions will be asked as there was strict criteria to receiving the 4th grant. 

Sending positive vibes your way. 
    But if it doesn’t happen now, it just wasn’t meant to be at this stage. You’re young and seem quite disciplined financially. Way better than I was at your age lol. 
    I've used M.S.E to sort out my debts,my savings, my insurance, my LIFE.
    Back on track now so much love to Mr Lewis!:money:
  • COYI123
    COYI123 Posts: 116 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    COYI123 said:
    COYI123 said:

Hey

My partner is full time, I’m self employed. I supplied 3years of accounts and was scored highly at AIP stage. Actually it was our second AIP as we got one before we searched for property (was actually offered more), then did another mortgage search after we made our offer. 

I think it’s a combo of what the other brokers in your thread wrote. They didn’t go deep enough at AIP stage. Even after a call from Broker who explained our situation we were cleared to proceed, confirmed by the bank directly with us. 
    Once underwriters got involved, and the policy’s were changing weekly, then more and more questions came. Each with a 6day response time. Firstly about my partners bonuses, then my savings account, then recent statements (which showed the grant), then requests for stuff they already had, then silence. Only after constant chasing did we find the underwriters had written ‘rejected’ on our file without notifying us. Broker was mad as hell and they couldn’t really own up to anything other than to request the impossible… statements going into the future showing my increased income… so we gave up with them. 

If they were clear on their policy in the beginning our broker wouldn’t have approached them. NatWest, my bank for decades, we’re clear that if you had SEISS from June 2020 you won’t get a mortgage offer. So we stayed clear. 

Like I said… good luck with yours. 

Deducting the £2k SEISS from your figures is cool, but it will show up in the bank statements. That’s when the questions will be asked as there was strict criteria to receiving the 4th grant. 

Sending positive vibes your way. 
    But if it doesn’t happen now, it just wasn’t meant to be at this stage. You’re young and seem quite disciplined financially. Way better than I was at your age lol. 
    Fair enough mate , it’s such a pain though , I mean our AIP is with Barclays , I’ve heard they are good with self employed , but they said they would lend the £248000 with our £30k so 280 to spend basically , but it’s just hoping that they accept on application, my partner who’s self employed has been earning at least 2.5-3k a month now everything is back to normal , even in the month she received the grant , her statement for that month was £5000 so she still made £2k+ from work , our broker said they will appreciate the fact they can see she’s earning good again 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure