We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Declined an AIP by every lender

Options

Comments

• COYI123
    COYI123 Posts: 116 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    A lot of brokers i know are hesitant to try borderline cases with Barclays as its a hard credit check and dont want to make things harder if it doesnt work. 

Just be aware though that this confirms you have passed the credit check,  bringing self employed income into it will require an actual underwrite.  

Once you find a property get moving with the mortgage application asap so that you can try get an offer before spending loads on legals or surveys

We gave everything to our new broker including our credit reports and bank statements, payslips , her self employed tax forms , everything , and she showed all of that to Barclays , and on our DIP it says that they have recognised all of her self employed details , and they are fine with it , considering they have gave the DIP to us , do you think their is a strong chance they will lend to us once we apply?
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,599 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    COYI123 said:
    To be fair to whoever has a broker who gets declined aip's,  self employment is somewhat potluck at thr moment.  Few lenders have clear policies around seiss payments or what income to use and what they are looking for.  There is only a very small group who have actually said rhey will decline for taking seiss, most just leave it to underwriters discretion and with some it is difficult to get hold of someone to say if it will go through or not (with high street lenders i mean) 

Declines due to low scoring are also fairly impossible to predict as we don't get to see what lenders internal scoring is looking for. 

The fact most do a soft search is a great help but at 90% and above its really not uncommon to have a few surprise declines for no real reason.

The aip with tipton that OP has is probably more secure than any high street lender as they will have reviewed manually prior to giving an aip
    Just got a different broker , and they got me an AIP with Barclays for lending £250000 straight away 😂😂😂😂😂
    AIP does not mean offer 100%. Anyone can get a AIP easily. 

Bare in mind some brokers don't like barclays as they can be very picky and a pain to work with
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • COYI123
    Options
    csgohan4 said:
    COYI123 said:
    To be fair to whoever has a broker who gets declined aip's,  self employment is somewhat potluck at thr moment.  Few lenders have clear policies around seiss payments or what income to use and what they are looking for.  There is only a very small group who have actually said rhey will decline for taking seiss, most just leave it to underwriters discretion and with some it is difficult to get hold of someone to say if it will go through or not (with high street lenders i mean) 

Declines due to low scoring are also fairly impossible to predict as we don't get to see what lenders internal scoring is looking for. 

The fact most do a soft search is a great help but at 90% and above its really not uncommon to have a few surprise declines for no real reason.

The aip with tipton that OP has is probably more secure than any high street lender as they will have reviewed manually prior to giving an aip
    Just got a different broker , and they got me an AIP with Barclays for lending £250000 straight away 😂😂😂😂😂

Bare in mind some brokers don't like barclays as they can be very picky and a pain to work with
    Tbh , now a days especially , I don’t believe ‘anyone ‘ can get an AIP easily , I understand it’s not 100% , but it’s still in my opinion very likely , bear in mind they have also said they’ll give us more on our AIP than they did when we did the affordability calculator just before that 
  • csgohan4
    Options
    COYI123 said:
    csgohan4 said:
    COYI123 said:

Tbh , now a days especially , I don’t believe ‘anyone ‘ can get an AIP easily , I understand it’s not 100% , but it’s still in my opinion very likely , bear in mind they have also said they’ll give us more on our AIP than they did when we did the affordability calculator just before that 
    Problem is, AIP does not do a deep dive on your credit history which is more important when you do an application, AIP is only scratching the surface. 

People can get a AIP and then get declined, because items such as SEISS, self employment,  e.t.c will not always be picked up on AIP
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • COYI123
    Options
    csgohan4 said:
    COYI123 said:
    csgohan4 said:
    COYI123 said:

Problem is, AIP does not do a deep dive on your credit history which is more important when you do an application, AIP is only scratching the surface. 

People can get a AIP and then get declined, because items such as SEISS, self employment,  e.t.c will not always be picked up on AIP
    Unfortunately in this case your wrong , as when you get an AIP run through a broker with Barclays , it’s a hard credit check and they need basically all of your documents , they were notified that my girlfriend is self employed , that my girlfriend also received Seiss grant , and we showed every bit of proof to the fact she’s back earning again , so in a way it’s 99% sure 
  • csgohan4
    Options
    COYI123 said:
    csgohan4 said:
    COYI123 said:
    csgohan4 said:
    COYI123 said:

Unfortunately in this case your wrong , as when you get an AIP run through a broker with Barclays , it’s a hard credit check and they need basically all of your documents , they were notified that my girlfriend is self employed , that my girlfriend also received Seiss grant , and we showed every bit of proof to the fact she’s back earning again , so in a way it’s 99% sure 
    I did mention 'not always' will depend on the lender.

I am not trying to burst your bubble, only to be cautious and assess things once you have your full application in and underwriter is happy, Criteria currently is a moving target and has changed since the pandemic and more risk averse for alot  of lenders

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Its very very unusual for a barclays aip to require documents.  They usually just give them as acceot, accept subject to further underwriting, or decline.
    Are you sure it wasn't a bdm that saw the documents?   I've not had a case with barclays where they will look at documents prior to aip. I dont even think there is a mechanism for it as document upload only becomes available post application.

Barclays are one of the better ones for self employed clients so you should be fine with the underwriting.

Hard check or soft check isnt what is meant when people talk about credit coming up post aip.  A soft search is still a full look at the report for the lender.   At aip a lender may check experian but at application they might also check equifax.    Thats only usually an issue if its an aip pass with adverse in the background as the lender mighht find more info on another report that they didnt see at dip stage.
    If its just low score as it is in your case then there shouldnt be any reason to worry
  • COYI123
    Options
    Its very very unusual for a barclays aip to require documents.  They usually just give them as acceot, accept subject to further underwriting, or decline.
    Are you sure it wasn't a bdm that saw the documents?   I've not had a case with barclays where they will look at documents prior to aip. I dont even think there is a mechanism for it as document upload only becomes available post application.

Barclays are one of the better ones for self employed clients so you should be fine with the underwriting.

Hard check or soft check isnt what is meant when people talk about credit coming up post aip.  A soft search is still a full look at the report for the lender.   At aip a lender may check experian but at application they might also check equifax.    Thats only usually an issue if its an aip pass with adverse in the background as the lender mighht find more info on another report that they didnt see at dip stage.
    If its just low score as it is in your case then there shouldnt be any reason to worry
    Yes , spoke to my broker and they said we have not one default what so ever so , considering they have gave an AIP and on the AIP it states they have seen and understand my partners situation with being self employed and my broker and estate agents have all said we should be fine 
  • chasingfreedom
    Options
    COYI123 said:

Yes , spoke to my broker and they said we have not one default what so ever so , considering they have gave an AIP and on the AIP it states they have seen and understand my partners situation with being self employed and my broker and estate agents have all said we should be fine 
    I really hope it all goes well for you but just a word of caution from me as I've recently been through the drama's of having several AIP's and then getting declined. Don't assume its a done deal until you've been through your application. We had an AIP with Natwest and then were declined at application due to credit scoring (we have a low deposit and high outgoings) and then we tried Barclays who also gave us an AIP but then at application didn't decline us but did say they would only lend to us with a 15% deposit (we only have 5%). We had thought the application was a done deal really after the AIP but that's not the case. We ended up with a mortgage offer 6 weeks later with Monmouthshire building society who don't use credit scoring and look at affordability case by case via an underwriter. Was a long road!!

Wish you lots of luck though, I really hope you sale through it all, don't give up :)
  • BigSteveLondon
    Options
    COYI123 said:

I concur with Chasing on this one. Wishing you good luck. 

In my case the AIP was given beginning of April & meant nothing. After saying they were ok with everything Nationwide’s underwriters stretched our case for 11wks then declined because of me being self-employed and taking the last SEISS grant. They had everything from broker at the beginning. If they had an issue then we wouldn’t have gone that way. 

We actually picked up keys to the new house today, we were lucky with Santander, but I had to be excluded from the mortgage, we increased LTV from 80% to 75%, had close calls with affordability due to childcare etc, but our broker and their BDM were really fighting for us. 

So there are ways… so good luck to you both.  
    I've used M.S.E to sort out my debts,my savings, my insurance, my LIFE.
    Back on track now so much love to Mr Lewis!:money:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport