Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Ford Fusion??

in Motoring
32 replies 821 views
knightstyleknightstyle Forumite
6.3K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
✭✭✭✭
DD is thinking of getting a 1.4 petrol with durashift transmission and i wondered if anyone has experience of one?
It is cheap, low miles and full Ford history so looks a decent buy.

Replies

• ontheroad1970ontheroad1970 Forumite
    497 Posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Automated manual system.  Others may have experience.  it is pre power shift which on small cars was a little problematic
  • GunJackGunJack Forumite
    11.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like Fusions (I'm 3 months into my second one, following 3.5 years of the first one), they're a good all-round car with higher driving position and are a bit of a TARDIS - with the back seats down you'll be surprised at how much you can get in them :)

I would, however, if you can, go for the 1.4 diesel version - running costs so much lower than the petrol (£30 a year road tax and ave. 60+ MPG), no DPF so short journeys not an issue, and manual gearbox would be better.
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • GoudyGoudy Forumite
    532 Posts
    500 Posts Second Anniversary
    ✭✭

Durashifts are, as Ontheroad mentions, Automated Manuals and do suffer quite a lot from actuator problems.

The clutch actuator is the most common, when it fails and the car gets stuck in gear as it can't select neutral. This leaves you stranded as the car won't retart in gear. The selector actuator can also be a problem as they fail pretty regularly as well.

Automated Manuals don't drive particularly well either, so they tend to be cheap to buy.

• AdrianCAdrianC Forumite
    40.1K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This shape?

Even the newest are nine years old.

"Low mileage"
    is not necessarily a good thing, especially in something as quintessentially Grandma-who's-now-given-up-driving as a slightly taller automatic Fiesta.
    11.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AdrianC said:
    This shape?

Even the newest are nine years old.

"Low mileage"
    is not necessarily a good thing, especially in something as quintessentially Grandma-who's-now-given-up-driving as a slightly taller automatic Fiesta.
    Ain't it cute?? in mileage terms, my first one went to scrap at 164k miles due to clutch & DMF needing doing (19 year-old) and my new one has 84k on it and it's 17y-o. For £700 if I get 30k out of it (about 3 yrs-worth of mileage) with no major expenditure it'll owe me nowt :)

Oh, and for the OP, most repairs are pretty cheap (your typical suspension, joints, exhaust, brakes, etc.)
    however, clutch & DMF would have been around 700, still cheaper than most but still a wedge (hence my first one getting scrapped :) )

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • lincroft1710lincroft1710 Forumite
    14.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Having driven one and also a Fiesta, I'd go for a Fiesta, the Fusion seemed much less agile
  • BOWFERBOWFER Forumite
    756 Posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    Having driven one and also a Fiesta, I'd go for a Fiesta, the Fusion seemed much less agile
    I don't think your average Fusion owner gives a damn about handling.
    If ever there was a car that said "I want to get from A to B and that's all" it's the Fusion.
    Nothing wrong with that, of course.
    11.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tbh, the higher driving position is much more important than a minor difference in handling, the improved visibility in the fusion allows you to anticipate better. Plus, if like Mrs G-J you have a bad back, the Fusion is so much easier to get in and out of, she finds it easier than getting in and out of her Pug 3008..

• edited 12 June at 4:00PM
    lincroft1710lincroft1710 Forumite
    14.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 12 June at 4:00PM
    BOWFER said:
    I don't think your average Fusion owner gives a damn about handling.
    If ever there was a car that said "I want to get from A to B and that's all" it's the Fusion.
    Nothing wrong with that, of course.
    You do not appear to have a high opinion of Fusion owners
  • edited 12 June at 4:16PM
    lincroft1710lincroft1710 Forumite
    14.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 12 June at 4:16PM
    GunJack said:
    Tbh, the higher driving position is much more important than a minor difference in handling, the improved visibility in the fusion allows you to anticipate better. Plus, if like Mrs G-J you have a bad back, the Fusion is so much easier to get in and out of, she finds it easier than getting in and out of her Pug 3008..
    Well some people will prefer the Fusion's higher driving position. Fiesta felt all round more responsive and if you don't need the higher driving position, the Fiesta would be car to go for. I also have a bad back and have had little problem getting in/out of the Fiesta.  Contemporary reviews tended to favour the Fiesta over the Fusion