MSE News: Portugal axed from travel 'green list' after traffic light scheme review - your rights

1235»

Replies

• ButtsButts Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Aimee__v said:
    I am supposed to be travelling to portugal tomorrow- given the government announcement was 5 days before I fly Ryanair are trying to charge me to change flights or loose the full amount. 
    Is this fair considering it is out of my power??
    Unfortunately it is fair. If you book flights during a pandemic then you have to be prepared to take these risks. 
    Airlines, in particular budget ones aren’t going to take the risk on your behalf. If you aren’t willing to take such a risk, and a lot of people aren’t, then don’t book the flights.
    Next time book with BA or another operator that allows you to cancel "up to the wire"
  • BrieBrie Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    What gets me is all the confusion about information, or lack thereof.  I want to book a flight to Canada and have to look at about 4 different websites to find out all the rules which currently includes the fact that I can't go there for less than 2 weeks.  But the airline will allow me to book a ticket in and out same day if I like.  As much as I'd like to see my mom before she completely forgets who I am I can not figure out how to manage everything and how much it will all cost.  And that's assuming that nothing changes between when I do sort everything and the time I fly out.  So I guess I'm not.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • Caz3121Caz3121 Forumite
    14.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brie said:
     But the airline will allow me to book a ticket in and out same day if I like. 
    airlines do not know the profiles of passengers that are looking at their website, some may well be able to fly in and out on the same day, others may not be able to travel at all yet can still purchase a ticket.
    You will most likely find some wording in the airlines terms and conditions that state it is the passengers responsibility that they ensure they meet the entry requirements, have visa etc
    You will find the current entry rules here https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/canada/entry-requirements
  • eskbankereskbanker Forumite
    19.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brie said:
    What gets me is all the confusion about information, or lack thereof.  I want to book a flight to Canada and have to look at about 4 different websites to find out all the rules
    Anyone seeking to travel abroad during a pandemic has to expect that there are numerous sites to check and it would surprise me if it was only four:
    1. Are you allowed to leave your home and/or local area?
    2. Are you allowed to leave the UK?
    3. What does the UK government advise about your destination?
    4. What conditions does your airline impose?
    5. Are you allowed into the country you're planning to visit?
    6. What testing is needed in order to be admitted?
    7. Where best to source that prior to departure?
    8. What conditions apply on return to the UK?
    9. Where best to source tests, book quarantine hotels, etc?
    10. What travel insurance cover is available?
    etc, etc....
  • BrieBrie Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Caz3121 & eskbanker.
    Yes I suppose thinking it's just 4 sites to visit for info is an underestimate. And it's the juggling of them all - I can get flights on X dates but what then is the cost of the quarantine isolation hotel?  Or do I try to fly to the US and walk across the border to avoid quarantine? (apparently this is a normal thing now)

I would have thought the airline, particularly Air Canada, would have at least added a strap line to say "entry to Canadian citizens only" with a link to the appropriate site for exceptions.  And update it's booking system (expensive for them to change?) to force you to book for at least the minimum stay the government dictates.  Frankly I think they are money grabbing by luring people to book and pay for seats they may not be able to use.   

And try as I might I could not find anything specific about covid conditions for the airline either beyond a vague "we're working to keep you safe" message.  Which makes me think that should I be so daring to try to book I might arrive at Heathrow and be turned away for something that might think is obvious but never occurred to me.  I've considered things like whether I would HAVE to wear a mask (I can't) but that's not mentioned anywhere.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • GangaGanga Forumite
    3.2K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Brie said:
    Thanks Caz3121 & eskbanker.
    Yes I suppose thinking it's just 4 sites to visit for info is an underestimate. And it's the juggling of them all - I can get flights on X dates but what then is the cost of the quarantine isolation hotel?  Or do I try to fly to the US and walk across the border to avoid quarantine? (apparently this is a normal thing now)

I would have thought the airline, particularly Air Canada, would have at least added a strap line to say "entry to Canadian citizens only" with a link to the appropriate site for exceptions.  And update it's booking system (expensive for them to change?) to force you to book for at least the minimum stay the government dictates.  Frankly I think they are money grabbing by luring people to book and pay for seats they may not be able to use.   

And try as I might I could not find anything specific about covid conditions for the airline either beyond a vague "we're working to keep you safe" message.  Which makes me think that should I be so daring to try to book I might arrive at Heathrow and be turned away for something that might think is obvious but never occurred to me.  I've considered things like whether I would HAVE to wear a mask (I can't) but that's not mentioned anywhere.
    The Canadian Government probably has been changing the regulations on a weekly /monthly basis like the rest of the world as the Pandemic shifts .
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!