MSE News: Portugal axed from travel 'green list' after traffic light scheme review - your rights

Replies

• JamoLewJamoLew Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    cubegame said:
    This is why the government needs to go. Making completely irrational decisions without evidence or reasoning is not what the UK needs from any leaders at any time, let along now!
    If the government were making rational decisions there would be no green or amber list and hotel quarantine would be compulsory on return for everyone from all destinations. The current increase is almost entirely due to the Indian variant, a variant that would not be circulating in the population if we had introduced full hotel quarantine. 
    This is hardly workable in reality. We rely on foreign truck drivers for a large amount of our food for a start. There will have to be exceptions one way or another and it makes sense to at least have some kind of judgement based on where people are travelling from.

My problem with the hotel quarantine is it's basically a barrier to poor people whereas rich people can easily afford it. What we should actually have is a system where you're allowed in with a valid reason and pay nothing/little for quarantine, but you aren't allowed in if you don't have a valid reason. This is precisely what some other countries are doing. The current system in the UK is having a deeply negative effect on those select few who have to travel from a red list country for whatever reason (including for instance people who just can't get a flight without going through somewhere like Dubai) while rich people can do what they like because the cost of the hotel means nothing to them.
    True - but I hope you don't disagree that it acts as a very effective (?) deterrent to the masses
  • jimi_manjimi_man Forumite
    675 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    cubegame said:
    This is why the government needs to go. Making completely irrational decisions without evidence or reasoning is not what the UK needs from any leaders at any time, let along now!
    If the government were making rational decisions there would be no green or amber list and hotel quarantine would be compulsory on return for everyone from all destinations. The current increase is almost entirely due to the Indian variant, a variant that would not be circulating in the population if we had introduced full hotel quarantine. 
    I don't think there is a scientist in the country that believes that to be the case. They are all of the opinion that it was inevitable that we'd get it. Even the darlings of the pandemic, Vietnam, New Zealand and Australia who had stringent travel policies, have been unable to avoid it.

• cubegamecubegame Forumite
    2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    cubegame said:
    If the government were making rational decisions there would be no green or amber list or hotel quarantine. The current increase is almost entirely due to the Indian variant, but it's not really relevant in a highly vaccinated country with practically NO unvaccinated vulnerable people.
    Fixed that for you.
  • MattMattMattUKMattMattMattUK Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    cubegame said:
    This is hardly workable in reality. We rely on foreign truck drivers for a large amount of our food for a start. There will have to be exceptions one way or another and it makes sense to at least have some kind of judgement based on where people are travelling from.
    The system can be managed, we do rely on food imports, but the majority of that is manageable and a huge amount the trailers get dropped off and then the truck returns with a previous empty one. The thing is the vast majority of people flying around, especially those from long haul destinations should not be free to roam on return.
    My problem with the hotel quarantine is it's basically a barrier to poor people whereas rich people can easily afford it. What we should actually have is a system where you're allowed in with a valid reason and pay nothing/little for quarantine, but you aren't allowed in if you don't have a valid reason. This is precisely what some other countries are doing. The current system in the UK is having a deeply negative effect on those select few who have to travel from a red list country for whatever reason (including for instance people who just can't get a flight without going through somewhere like Dubai) while rich people can do what they like because the cost of the hotel means nothing to them.
    I do not care if it is rich or poor, if they have quarantined it means that it is dramatically reducing the risk of transmission if they have to spend ten days locked up on return. 
  • MattMattMattUKMattMattMattUK Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    cubegame said:
    cubegame said:
    If the government were making rational decisions there would be no green or amber list or hotel quarantine. The current increase is almost entirely due to the Indian variant, but it's not really relevant in a highly vaccinated country with practically NO unvaccinated vulnerable people.
    Fixed that for you.
    No you did not, you added in your biases. 
  • elsienelsien Forumite
    26.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm probably going to get hammered for this, but if I had a holiday booked to Portugal in the next few weeks I'd still be going. There is not an outright prohibition on travel, just a recommendation, I can work from home so could self isolate for 10 days without an issue and I've had both my vaccines.
    Having an amber list just muddies the water - it's kind of a "we'd really prefer you not to go but in practice we're not going to do anything to stop you."
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • ButtsButts Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone booking holidays abroad at the moment is frankly bonkers while the situation is so fluid. 
    No great loss really, the situation will chop and change lots before ‘normality’ is restored
    Just call me "Bonkers Butts " :D
    Provided it's with the right operator to the right destination there is no risk involved and bargains to be had.
  • cubegamecubegame Forumite
    2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Butts said:
    Anyone booking holidays abroad at the moment is frankly bonkers while the situation is so fluid. 
    No great loss really, the situation will chop and change lots before ‘normality’ is restored
    Provided it's with the right operator to the right destination there is no risk involved and bargains to be had.
    Same as last year really, albeit with some unnecessary and expensive intrusive medical tests and too many delays on returning to the UK.
  • ButtsButts Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    cubegame said:
    Butts said:
    Same as last year really, albeit with some unnecessary and expensive intrusive medical tests and too many delays on returning to the UK.
    Start "local" (CTA) and work your way outwards as restrictions will hopefully ease over the course of the year.
    No tests or queues so far - Newcastle and Belfast.