MSE News: Portugal axed from travel 'green list' after traffic light scheme review - your rights

Replies

• lisyloolisyloo Forumite
    27.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    elsien said:j
    I'm probably going to get hammered for this, but if I had a holiday booked to Portugal in the next few weeks I'd still be going. There is not an outright prohibition on travel, just a recommendation, I can work from home so could self isolate for 10 days without an issue and I've had both my vaccines.
    Having an amber list just muddies the water - it's kind of a "we'd really prefer you not to go but in practice we're not going to do anything to stop you."
    I’ve got no issue with that position as long as you accept the risk that it’ll cost you about £2k and possibly loss of income if it goes red whilst you’re out there.
    personally I think it sounds like loads of hassle and potential grief so I’m quite happy to holiday in the uk.
  • jimi_manjimi_man Forumite
    675 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    lisyloo said:
    I'm probably going to get hammered for this, but if I had a holiday booked to Portugal in the next few weeks I'd still be going. There is not an outright prohibition on travel, just a recommendation, I can work from home so could self isolate for 10 days without an issue and I've had both my vaccines.
    Having an amber list just muddies the water - it's kind of a "we'd really prefer you not to go but in practice we're not going to do anything to stop you."
    I’ve got no issue with that position as long as you accept the risk that it’ll cost you about £2k and possibly loss of income if it goes red whilst you’re out there.
    personally I think it sounds like loads of hassle and potential grief so I’m quite happy to holiday in the uk.
    Mind you, holidaying in the U.K. is not exactly a cheap option, so that £2k is small fry compared to a couple of weeks in a hotel in the U.K.  
  • lisyloolisyloo Forumite
    27.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jimi_man said:
    lisyloo said:
    Mind you, holidaying in the U.K. is not exactly a cheap option, so that £2k is small fry compared to a couple of weeks in a hotel in the U.K.  
    you’re right it’s not cheap if you want a nice  comparable hotel but calling £2k for one adult as small fry is over egging it (or you need to shop around).
    personally I’ll be spending less in the uk but then I didn’t go to cheap foreign destinations, so it all depends on what you are comparing.
    london is much cheaper than normal at the moment due to lack of foreign tourists. I have Travelodge Covent Garden for £70 in summer which is a very central location and much discounted due to lack of foreign tourists and business people.
    if you want to go where every one else goes, won’t compromise and book late then yes prices have risen a lot.
    if you’re prepared to go somewhere that’s missing lots of overseas tourists like bath or London then You could get a bargain (compared to normal pricing).
    all comes down to what you compare but there ARE bargains available - try somewhere lacking business and international tourists, London is a key example where there are loads of interesting and free things for kids/families.

the point really was that people should be aware of the costs of a country going red and that includes the loss of their income as well as the hotel and tests.
    i had a colleague go to India (family serious illness and eventually death). It went red and it’s cost him thousands. In his case it was a family emergency but people need to consider whether it’s worth it for a holiday. For most people I think hotel quarantine is not worth it where self isolation at home is quite manageable for people that WFH and have a decent home.
  • Aimee__vAimee__v Forumite
    3 Posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I am supposed to be travelling to portugal tomorrow- given the government announcement was 5 days before I fly Ryanair are trying to charge me to change flights or loose the full amount. 
    Is this fair considering it is out of my power??
  • onashoestringonashoestring Forumite
    755 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Aimee__v said:
    I am supposed to be travelling to portugal tomorrow- given the government announcement was 5 days before I fly Ryanair are trying to charge me to change flights or loose the full amount. 
    Yes in general , if the flight is still going (as some people will still want to travel ) - the airline  do not have to refund you as they are still providing the service you paid for - what were the specific T&Cs when you booked ? 
    3 Posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Aimee__v said:
    Yes in general , if the flight is still going (as some people will still want to travel ) - the airline  do not have to refund you as they are still providing the service you paid for - what were the specific T&Cs when you booked ? 
    That I could have a free flight change if it was done 7 days in advance. Although I didn’t know if the government announcement would change anything regarding refunds/ credit notes
  • onashoestringonashoestring Forumite
    755 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Aimee__v said:
    Aimee__v said:
    That I could have a free flight change if it was done 7 days in advance. Although I didn’t know if the government announcement would change anything regarding refunds/ credit notes
    If you are quick,maybe you can get a free flight change on the return flight ? 
    3 Posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Aimee__v said:
    Aimee__v said:
    If you are quick,maybe you can get a free flight change on the return flight ? 
    Thanks but unfortunately not, I was only going for a few days 
  • edited 7 June at 6:50PM
    lisyloolisyloo Forumite
    27.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 7 June at 6:50PM
    Aimee__v said:
    You can still go to Portugal.
    if you choose not to go then it’s at your own cost.

• UpsidedownandaroundUpsidedownandaround Forumite
    318 Posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary
    ✭✭
    Aimee__v said:
    Unfortunately it is fair. If you book flights during a pandemic then you have to be prepared to take these risks. 
    Airlines, in particular budget ones aren’t going to take the risk on your behalf. If you aren’t willing to take such a risk, and a lot of people aren’t, then don’t book the flights.