IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

DCB Legal for CP Plus re Road Chef / Moto PCNs – Advice on defence against Claim

Options

Comments

• larry63
    larry63 Posts: 35 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Umkomaas said:
    What exactly did you ask for?  Was it just the standard SAR template that you used?

Ask the ICO for their view on RoadChef claiming total exemption from providing any personal information they hold about you. We're not the expert resource on subject access request minutiae, so do go to the ICO, the horse's mouth.

EDIT TO ADD

RoadChef are not 'legal professionals', so exactly what 'privilege' are they claiming - ask them?  Check out the criteria for 'legal privilege' before firing both barrels. Ask them are they involved in litigation against you. So, I'd go back to them to ask the above, then to require them to provide you your information in full or this will result in a complaint to the ICO.
    Yes i only asked for the standard SAR Template.

I did go back and ask them to be exact as to what part of this section they are relying upon and got the answer as follows:

Having already identified below the exemption which precludes us from being able to provide the information you requested (where we do actually hold such information), we consider the basis set out in sub-paragraph (a) of the below-mentioned Paragraph 19 ‘Legal Professional Privilege’ exemption to be the more relevant.

Yours faithfully,

The Data Protection Team
    on behalf of
    Roadchef Ltd

• Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,511 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Report them to the ICO. They've had a chance to rethink their earlier reply to you, but aren't prepared to budge. See if they will spout the same to the ICO. 
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Timeouts
    Timeouts Posts: 155 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    edited 3 July 2021 at 6:34PM
    Options
    Frankly, if that's what RoadChef thinks ?    let them get on with it.  Nobody but nobody can refuse a request for personal data ...... That is why the ICO have the power to fine those who do not comply.

YOU ARE ONLY ASKING FOR INFORMATION THEY HOLD ON YOU.

Pity that RoadCef are on track to alienate paying customers 
    Surely RoadChef don't want this hassle over an unregulated parking company who farm car parks for money ?

And are RoadChef not interested in the retailers on site who probably pay very high rents ..... seems not

THIS IS A SEVERE ICO COMPLAINT
  • larry63
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 3 July 2021 at 6:37PM
    Options
    ICO Website states the follwoing if a SAR is not adhered to.

What should we do if we refuse to comply with a request?

If you refuse to comply with a request, you must inform the individual of:

1. the reasons why;
    2. their right to make a complaint to the ICO; and
    3. their ability to seek to enforce this right through the courts.

Not sure if they hit the target for 1,  "Reasons Why", by simply stating para 19 etc, but definately no 2 and 3 in any email. Roadchef maynot have done this as per the book even if they are allowed....
  • Timeouts
    Timeouts Posts: 155 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You are not asking RoadChef for anything other than your LEGAL right for information.

Copupon-mad summed it up in an earlier post

Unlike "HANCOCKS HALF HOUR" ..... The law is the law and RoadChef are not above the law ?

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,757 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 10 March 2022 at 9:46PM
    Options
    Your SAR is not something that Roadchef can refuse. Major ICO complaint attaching the email as well evidence and telling the ICO what you want Roadchef to do to resolve it.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • larry63
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options

Quick update

I have received the N180 and have completed as per the Newbie instructions:

·         A1 = NO to mediation (they want the whole amount, you want to pay them nothing, so no scope for mediation. This will not go against you)

·         B = fill in all the details, name, address, etc

·         C1 = YES to small claims track – this is the limited costs track for claims up to £10,000 in value

·         D1 = name of your local County Court – unless you are a Ltd company, the case files will be transferred there

·         D2 = NO to expert evidence (this relates to medical negligence cases and suchlike)

·         D3 = 1 witness (that’s you) (or more if you are going to get another person to provide a statement)

·         D4 = Put down the dates of any pre-booked holidays, NO to interpreter (unless you need one).

One strange aspect is i reviewed the MCO account, and it stated that

“Notification that the claim against you was discontinued was received on xx/xx/2021”

Yet, nearly two months later it now states

DQ sent to you on xx/08/2021

DQ filed by claimant on xx/08/2021

As the initial claim was for two PCNs, by two different service station operators, and one very quickly withdrew their claim by asking for it to be discontinued, it would seem the Notification of claim discontinued must of been wrongly noted by the courts, as it was only partly withdrawn (one of the PCNs).  Or is this something i can use in my future defence?

Additionally, as there is only one PCN being chased now, there has been nothing at all to suggest the value of the claim has been diminished, so does this void this claim and it needs to start again, or should something be sent to me to advise the amount of the claim has been adjusted?

Thanks All

• Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,511 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Call the court tomorrow. They are the people to answer your questions. Write down what you want to discuss before you call. 
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure