Payment holiday AP marker

Options

Comments

• MattMattMattUK
    MattMattMattUK Posts: 8,741 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 3 May 2021 at 8:57PM
    Options
    I wonder whether they have treated the refund of the payment as a "new arrangement", despite the fact that they have caused the problem in the first place. You will have to contact them to get them to explain why this has happened, and how they will deal with it.
    It shouldnt have as it was taken in error which they themselves admitted, the next day the 99p token payment was also taken for the holiday. They admitted wrongdoing and even compensated me and apprently it was because I paid £30 towards the loan while in a holiday, which according to FCA rules i should be allowed to do.
    You should be allowed to, but it does sometimes cause issues, as could well have been the case here.
    Im scared other banks will close my accounts or reduce my credit lines. 
    It is very unlikely a bank would close an account, if you had a credit card and the bank were reviewing limits at that specific period in time it might have an impact, but it also might not. Some banks (particularly Barclaycard) and reducing credit card credit limits at the moment, but that is an ongoing process.
    Deleted_User said:
    Im now wondering weather nationwide have breached the loan arrangement in its entirity, the FCA in my opinion should investagate nationwide,
    You need to get some perspective, this is a minor administrative issue that will in all likelihood be resolved in a few weeks at most. The FCA will have no interest in investigating a building society (or bank) over a minor administrative error and it is absurd to think they should. Nationwide have not breached the terms of the loan, technically you have by taking a payment holiday, it is just a breach agreed by both parties. 
    Deleted_User said:
    I should not have to face financial ruin because of their incompetance.
    You will not face "financial ruin" and it would be unlikely to have any impact at all.
    Deleted_User said:
    I took a loan of £6800 a year and a half ago and the balance is now £2500, they should be made to write off the rest as they have broken the rules.
    That is absolutely absurd.
    Im happy enough to pay to loan after the holiday but I dont believe its "absurd", fact is lenders have a duty of care if they have failed to act with due care in regards to that agreement, then they shouldnt be allowed off the hook.
    They made a minor administrative error which they will correct and which will have no impact, and you expect to be gifted £2,500? That is absurd by any rational measure.
    Deleted_User said:
    I should be due compensation dont think thats unresonable and if the FCA are setting these rules then its not absurd to expect them to step in when errors are being made ! 
    You may be due compensation if you could show that you suffered material loss. It is very unlikely that you will suffer any material loss and it is even less likely that you could prove it was a direct consequence of their error. Note having a credit card limit reduced is not a material loss. The FCA would only care if Nationwide failed to correct the error, they do not intervene over every minor issue, they are there as a last resort, when standard complaints procedures have failed and there is a genuine regulatory issue still unresolved. They will not even intervene at the request of a member of the public, The Financial Ombudsman Service is the route for consumers and to complain to them you have to have exhausted the financial institution's complaints procedure first, with the matter still unresolved. 
    https://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/consumers/how-to-complain
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 3 May 2021 at 9:01PM
    Options
    I wonder whether they have treated the refund of the payment as a "new arrangement", despite the fact that they have caused the problem in the first place. You will have to contact them to get them to explain why this has happened, and how they will deal with it.
    It shouldnt have as it was taken in error which they themselves admitted, the next day the 99p token payment was also taken for the holiday. They admitted wrongdoing and even compensated me and apprently it was because I paid £30 towards the loan while in a holiday, which according to FCA rules i should be allowed to do.
    You should be allowed to, but it does sometimes cause issues, as could well have been the case here.
    It is very unlikely a bank would close an account, if you had a credit card and the bank were reviewing limits at that specific period in time it might have an impact, but it also might not. Some banks (particularly Barclaycard) and reducing credit card credit limits at the moment, but that is an ongoing process.
    Deleted_User said:
    Im now wondering weather nationwide have breached the loan arrangement in its entirity, the FCA in my opinion should investagate nationwide,
    You need to get some perspective, this is a minor administrative issue that will in all likelihood be resolved in a few weeks at most. The FCA will have no interest in investigating a building society (or bank) over a minor administrative error and it is absurd to think they should. Nationwide have not breached the terms of the loan, technically you have by taking a payment holiday, it is just a breach agreed by both parties. 
    Deleted_User said:
    You will not face "financial ruin" and it would be unlikely to have any impact at all.
    Deleted_User said:
    I took a loan of £6800 a year and a half ago and the balance is now £2500, they should be made to write off the rest as they have broken the rules.
    Im happy enough to pay to loan after the holiday but I dont believe its "absurd", fact is lenders have a duty of care if they have failed to act with due care in regards to that agreement, then they shouldnt be allowed off the hook.
    They made a minor administrative error which they will correct and which will have no impact, and you expect to be gifted £2,500? That is absurd by any rational measure.
    Deleted_User said:
    I should be due compensation dont think thats unresonable and if the FCA are setting these rules then its not absurd to expect them to step in when errors are being made ! 
    You may be due compensation if you could show that you suffered material loss. It is very unlikely that you will suffer any material loss and it is even less likely that you could prove it was a direct consequence of their error. Note having a credit card limit reduced is not a material loss. The FCA would only care if Nationwide failed to correct the error, they do not intervene over every minor issue, they are there as a last resort, when standard complaints procedures have failed and there is a genuine regulatory issue still unresolved. They will not even intervene at the request of a member of the public, The Financial Ombudsman Service is the route for consumers and to complain to them you have to have exhausted the financial institution's complaints procedure first, with the matter still unresolved. 
    Its a loss if a credit facility was reduced or removed as a direct result of that information being recorded and I dont expect to be "gifted" anything and never stated that I did, I pay interest on this loan I dont get it for free there is nothing to be gifted ! 
  • MattMattMattUK
    Options
    Deleted_User said:
    Deleted_User said:
    Deleted_User said:
    Deleted_User said:
    Its a loss if a credit facility was reduced or removed as a direct result of that information being recorded. 
    No it is not, a company has a right to withdraw a service at any time. A material loss would mean you had actually lost money, not that some other financial situation would lend you less in the future. 
  • sparklep0ny
    sparklep0ny Posts: 221 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Deleted_User said:
    Deleted_User said:
    Deleted_User said:
    Deleted_User said:
    Its a loss if a credit facility was reduced or removed as a direct result of that information being recorded. 
    No it is not, a company has a right to withdraw a service at any time. A material loss would mean you had actually lost money, not that some other financial situation would lend you less in the future. 
    Even then, the company will know the OP took a payment holiday even without the markers so realistically if they're going to reduce the OP's limit or close accounts it'll happen with or without the AP markers.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 3 May 2021 at 9:08PM
    Options
    Deleted_User said:
    Deleted_User said:
    Deleted_User said:
    Deleted_User said:
    Deleted_User said:
    Deleted_User said:
    Deleted_User said:
    Deleted_User said:
    If course it is, you are correct in saying they have a right to withdraw a sevice at anytime, but if that was a direct result of inaccurate information being in the dolmain that shouldnt of been there in the first instance, then its a loss if that facility wouldnt have been removed if that information was not there ! 
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Deleted_User said:
    Deleted_User said:
    Deleted_User said:
    Deleted_User said:
    Even then, the company will know the OP took a payment holiday even without the markers so realistically if they're going to reduce the OP's limit or close accounts it'll happen with or without the AP markers.
    A payment holiday wouldnt feed through, an AP would its a solid marker against someone ! 
  • MattMattMattUK
    Options
    Deleted_User said:
    Deleted_User said:
    Deleted_User said:
    Deleted_User said:
    Deleted_User said:
    Deleted_User said:
    Deleted_User said:
    Deleted_User said:
    If course it is, you are correct in saying they have a right to withdraw a sevice at anytime, but if that was a direct result of inaccurate information being in the dolmain that shouldnt of been there in the first instance, then its a loss if that facility wouldnt have been removed if that information was not there ! 
    Again, it is not a material loss, you seem either unwilling or unable to understand what a material loss is. Even if it is a direct consequence that would still not make it a material loss.

As Sparkle Pony has said other financial institutions will also be aware of your payment holiday and will take their lending decisions accordingly.

You need to look at this rationally, the incorrect marker will be amended in a week or two, the marker itself (rather than the payment holiday) will have no impact and neither will cause you material loss. You are not entitled to any compensation/free money, certainly not to have a £2,500 loan written off, although you might get a "shut up and go away" gesture of good will in the £10-50 range. 
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Deleted_User said:
    Deleted_User said:
    Deleted_User said:
    Im happy enough to pay to loan after the holiday but I dont believe its "absurd", fact is lenders have a duty of care if they have failed to act with due care in regards to that agreement, then they shouldnt be allowed off the hook, I should be due compensation dont think thats unresonable and if the FCA are setting these rules then its not absurd to expect them to step in when errors are being made ! 
    Compensation is awarded for losses.  It is not awarded for "what ifs." As of now, you have suffered no loss other than having to make a phone call.  £15 would suffice.

A word of warning though.  Everyone will know you were on a payment holiday, regardless of this marker.  You may find you have trouble getting credit in the near future.
    Clearly not, all companies have agreed they will not penalise someone for having a payment holiday ! 
  • MattMattMattUK
    Options
    Deleted_User said:
    Deleted_User said:
    Deleted_User said:
    Deleted_User said:
    A payment holiday wouldnt feed through, an AP would its a solid marker against someone ! 
    Payment holidays are visible to financial institutions as they are visible in the credit report raw data. The arrangement to pay would only have an impact if you were applying for new financial services and will be removed in a few weeks anyway so is entirely irrelevant. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback