Payment holiday AP marker

Options

Comments

• sparklep0ny
    sparklep0ny Posts: 221 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I wonder whether they have treated the refund of the payment as a "new arrangement", despite the fact that they have caused the problem in the first place. You will have to contact them to get them to explain why this has happened, and how they will deal with it.
    It shouldnt have as it was taken in error which they themselves admitted, the next day the 99p token payment was also taken for the holiday. They admitted wrongdoing and even compensated me and apprently it was because I paid £30 towards the loan while in a holiday, which according to FCA rules i should be allowed to do.
    You should be allowed to, but it does sometimes cause issues, as could well have been the case here.
    Im scared other banks will close my accounts or reduce my credit lines. 
    It is very unlikely a bank would close an account, if you had a credit card and the bank were reviewing limits at that specific period in time it might have an impact, but it also might not. Some banks (particularly Barclaycard) and reducing credit card credit limits at the moment, but that is an ongoing process.
    Deleted_User said:
    Im now wondering weather nationwide have breached the loan arrangement in its entirity, the FCA in my opinion should investagate nationwide,
    You need to get some perspective, this is a minor administrative issue that will in all likelihood be resolved in a few weeks at most. The FCA will have no interest in investigating a building society (or bank) over a minor administrative error and it is absurd to think they should. Nationwide have not breached the terms of the loan, technically you have by taking a payment holiday, it is just a breach agreed by both parties. 
    Deleted_User said:
    I should not have to face financial ruin because of their incompetance.
    You will not face "financial ruin" and it would be unlikely to have any impact at all.
    Deleted_User said:
    I took a loan of £6800 a year and a half ago and the balance is now £2500, they should be made to write off the rest as they have broken the rules.
    That is absolutely absurd.
    Im happy enough to pay to loan after the holiday but I dont believe its "absurd", fact is lenders have a duty of care if they have failed to act with due care in regards to that agreement, then they shouldnt be allowed off the hook, dont think thats unresonable and if the FCA are setting these rules then its not absurd to expect them to step in when "errors" are being made and incompetance is to blame for it ! 

It would only be "absurd" if I didnt keep my end of the bargain and just refused or didnt pay them at all, but I havent !
    You’ve a very negative view of a company that has allowed you to take a payment holiday when you couldn’t pay them what you’d agreed to.

That’s your prerogative of course, but you were the one that breached your agreement with them first.
    It was the goverment who allowed me, it wasent them being nice, so people are being made to feel guilty for taking one, go away the agreement was not breached, no one exactly asked for covid ! 

Even though im on a holiday im still having to pay interest on that loan, they arent doing me a favour ! 

If they aren’t doing you a favour then just pay your normal amounts in full, stop messing around paying less.

What on Earth were you thinking of, taking a payment holiday if you didn’t need it?

Taking a payment holiday DOES NOT affect someones ability to obtain credit in the future as long as its recorded correctly , 
    It will influence a finance company's decision when assessing the application for credit. A payment holiday will at the very least suggest suggest a stretched financial position. Finance companies set their own criteria they are not instructed who to lend to. . 
    it seems that some on the MSE forum are laying down the law on their behalf, it indicates nothing unless it was a missed payment or a default.

You have also been on shaming others for taking payment holidays too ! 
    Of course it indicates something.  It indicates that either you can't afford to make your current repayments or you're not particularly keen on sticking to your original agreement.  Neither of which are a particularly good look to potential lenders.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I wonder whether they have treated the refund of the payment as a "new arrangement", despite the fact that they have caused the problem in the first place. You will have to contact them to get them to explain why this has happened, and how they will deal with it.
    It shouldnt have as it was taken in error which they themselves admitted, the next day the 99p token payment was also taken for the holiday. They admitted wrongdoing and even compensated me and apprently it was because I paid £30 towards the loan while in a holiday, which according to FCA rules i should be allowed to do.
    You should be allowed to, but it does sometimes cause issues, as could well have been the case here.
    It is very unlikely a bank would close an account, if you had a credit card and the bank were reviewing limits at that specific period in time it might have an impact, but it also might not. Some banks (particularly Barclaycard) and reducing credit card credit limits at the moment, but that is an ongoing process.
    Deleted_User said:
    Im now wondering weather nationwide have breached the loan arrangement in its entirity, the FCA in my opinion should investagate nationwide,
    You need to get some perspective, this is a minor administrative issue that will in all likelihood be resolved in a few weeks at most. The FCA will have no interest in investigating a building society (or bank) over a minor administrative error and it is absurd to think they should. Nationwide have not breached the terms of the loan, technically you have by taking a payment holiday, it is just a breach agreed by both parties. 
    Deleted_User said:
    You will not face "financial ruin" and it would be unlikely to have any impact at all.
    Deleted_User said:
    I took a loan of £6800 a year and a half ago and the balance is now £2500, they should be made to write off the rest as they have broken the rules.
    Im happy enough to pay to loan after the holiday but I dont believe its "absurd", fact is lenders have a duty of care if they have failed to act with due care in regards to that agreement, then they shouldnt be allowed off the hook, dont think thats unresonable and if the FCA are setting these rules then its not absurd to expect them to step in when "errors" are being made and incompetance is to blame for it ! 

It would only be "absurd" if I didnt keep my end of the bargain and just refused or didnt pay them at all, but I havent !
    You’ve a very negative view of a company that has allowed you to take a payment holiday when you couldn’t pay them what you’d agreed to.

That’s your prerogative of course, but you were the one that breached your agreement with them first.
    It was the goverment who allowed me, it wasent them being nice, so people are being made to feel guilty for taking one, go away the agreement was not breached, no one exactly asked for covid ! 

Even though im on a holiday im still having to pay interest on that loan, they arent doing me a favour ! 

If they aren’t doing you a favour then just pay your normal amounts in full, stop messing around paying less.

What on Earth were you thinking of, taking a payment holiday if you didn’t need it?

Taking a payment holiday DOES NOT affect someones ability to obtain credit in the future as long as its recorded correctly , 
    It will influence a finance company's decision when assessing the application for credit. A payment holiday will at the very least suggest suggest a stretched financial position. Finance companies set their own criteria they are not instructed who to lend to. . 
    it seems that some on the MSE forum are laying down the law on their behalf, it indicates nothing unless it was a missed payment or a default.

Of course it indicates something.  It indicates that either you can't afford to make your current repayments or you're not particularly keen on sticking to your original agreement.  Neither of which are a particularly good look to potential lenders.
    Regardless of weather it does or does not is irrelevant here though, fact is it still should not be marked as an arrangement to pay, thats the POINT ! 
  • GeordieGeorge
    GeordieGeorge Posts: 500 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Deleted_User said:
    Deleted_User said:
    Deleted_User said:

You were unable or unwilling to make your contractual payments. That is going to be viewed as a negative, despite your excuses. You are an adult, and need to take responsibility for the decisions that you make as an adult.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 4 May 2021 at 8:34PM
    Options
    Deleted_User said:
    Deleted_User said:
    Deleted_User said:

You were unable or unwilling to make your contractual payments. That is going to be viewed as a negative, despite your excuses. You are an adult, and need to take responsibility for the decisions that you make as an adult.
    No I took a holiday because I needed the extra cash due to extra costs as a result of my disability due to covid, its not allowed to be recorded as such and I think you are well aware of that, I will be informing the moderator of this payment holiday slamming going on around these forums and ive had enough of people on here thinking they know peoples life stories better than the OP, stop judging people ! 
  • GeordieGeorge
    GeordieGeorge Posts: 500 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Deleted_User said:
    Deleted_User said:
    Deleted_User said:

No I took a holiday because I needed the extra cash due to extra costs as a result of my disability due to covid, its not allowed to be recorded as such and I think you are well aware of that, I will be informing the moderator of this payment holiday slamming going on around these forums and ive had enough of people on here thinking they know peoples life stories better than the OP, stop judging people ! 
    I’m not judging you, just pointing out the facts, politely and calmly.
    Why did you not use your emergency fund, or sell some investments rather than jumping in to such a serious step as taking a payment holiday?
    And where are you getting the idea from that it can’t be recorded?
  • [Deleted User]
    edited 4 May 2021 at 8:45PM
    Options
    Deleted_User said:
    Deleted_User said:
    Deleted_User said:

Why did you not use your emergency fund, or sell some investments rather than jumping in to such a serious step as taking a payment holiday?
    You clearly are, you are trying to get smart by claiming I should have this marker against me, when you clearly know I shouldnt and Nationwide seems to think I shouldnt either !

A covid 19 payment holiday cannot be recorded as negative for the allowed period.

P. S. Not everyone in society is wealthy enough to have "emergency funds" and "investments" we live on pay to pay ! 
  • sparklep0ny
    sparklep0ny Posts: 221 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 4 May 2021 at 8:54PM
    Options
    Deleted_User said:
    Deleted_User said:
    Deleted_User said:

You clearly are, you are trying to get smart by claiming I should have this marker against me, when you clearly know I shouldnt and Nationwide seems to think I shouldnt either !

A covid 19 payment holiday cannot be recorded as negative for the allowed period.

P. S. Not everyone in society is wealthy enough to have "emergency funds" and "investments" we live on pay to pay ! 
    The problem is (and something the Government in its infinite wisdom didn't really think about it seems) that your reduced repayments will be reflected in the raw data on your credit file, so even if the AP markers are removed, any lender viewing your file WILL be able to see you took a payment holiday.

This isn't, as you call it "payment holiday slamming" but making you aware that even if you get these markers removed, this holiday is going to be visible and potentially will affect you.

There's no such thing as a free lunch as they say.
  • MattMattMattUK
    MattMattMattUK Posts: 8,671 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    That is unfortunately a misunderstanding of what the guidance from government said. The account should not be reported as in default, or as a agreement to pay during an agreed three month period (either the first or second). The data should however be recorded accurately, which shows outstanding balances and will allow anyone with a reasonable understanding (or the highly complex algorithms which have been programmed to look for it) to recognise a payment holiday from the raw data. Based on that information, future potential lenders will make their decisions accordingly. Covid payment holidays are not impact free, they are just a lot less damaging than a default. 
  • [Deleted User]
    edited 5 May 2021 at 2:40AM
    Options
    That is unfortunately a misunderstanding of what the guidance from government said. The account should not be reported as in default, or as a agreement to pay during an agreed three month period (either the first or second). The data should however be recorded accurately, which shows outstanding balances and will allow anyone with a reasonable understanding (or the highly complex algorithms which have been programmed to look for it) to recognise a payment holiday from the raw data. Based on that information, future potential lenders will make their decisions accordingly. Covid payment holidays are not impact free, they are just a lot less damaging than a default. 
    It has an AP marker even though it shouldnt, thats the problem here, nothing else ! There is no "misunderstanding" in that regard, so I'm struggling to see what the point actually is ! 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback