Money Moral Dilemma: I sold the books my brother didn't want - should I share the money with him?

edited 27 April 2021 at 1:45PM in Marriage, relationships & families
49 replies 28.3K views

Replies

• GrespGresp Forumite
    48 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Your brother doesn't want the items, but neither do you. They belong to both of you, and getting rid of them suits both of you.

So share the proceeds, but not 50/50. Give yourself a bigger share to reflect the efforts you went to and the costs you incurred.

If your brother wants half, he can do half the work.

Before selling any more, agree the terms with your brother.
  • k_k_k_katyk_k_k_katy Forumite
    14 Posts
    Second Anniversary 10 Posts
    Forumite
    Demand respect and your brother may realize how unreasonable he is being, if not, and he is prepared to fall out over £25 you may decide to let him.
  • PottymumPottymum Forumite
    2 Posts
    First Post
    I'm in exactly the same situation.  I cleared dad's house, cluttering up mine in the process,  my sister did the bare minimum to help and she sold some of dads furniture but not handed the money to him.  I have so much to go to charity shops when they will take it, but what is left is not of any great value but she'll almost certainly want a share of it although it should be given to dad. 
  • REJPREJP Forumite
    289 Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    No, you did the work selling them.  He had no interest in the books but suddenly is interested in the money.
    Give him the rest of the books and let him sell them.  Why should he store them free in your home?
  • helenh9653helenh9653 Forumite
    4 Posts
    First Anniversary First Post
    If he wants the money, let him store the rest of the stuff. You could, to preserve the peace, offer him a share of the money, after deducting any fees you paid and a storage fee.
  • dw1945dw1945 Forumite
    2 Posts
    First Anniversary First Post
    Don't give him a penny he didnt want them, and gave them to you just to get them out of his place - and stop telling him you've sold them, if he asks again you say you have thrown them in the dustbin or GIVEN THEM AWAY. Don't be a !!!!!!
  • MarkSparkMarkSpark Forumite
    2 Posts
    First Post First Anniversary
    Pottymum said:
    I'm in exactly the same situation.  I cleared dad's house, cluttering up mine in the process,  my sister did the bare minimum to help and she sold some of dads furniture but not handed the money to him.  I have so much to go to charity shops when they will take it, but what is left is not of any great value but she'll almost certainly want a share of it although it should be given to dad. 
    Jesus what a sister.... glad she is not mine

As for OP and his moral maze, its your brother, how many of them do you have, even if you have multiple brothers its not worth falling out over money, just subtract costs (not your time) and half the money. Next time give  hour bother the option to collect and if he doesnt give the stuff to charity shops.
  • gloriouslyhappygloriouslyhappy Forumite
    544 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Of course you should share the proceeds. Knock off the cost of the seller fees and the postage first though, so you’re not losing out. I mean, it’s your BROTHER you’re talking about here! If it was the previous owner of your house who’d just passed the keys over leaving a pile of unwanted junk behind, then fair enough. But family is family, and blood’s thicker than water.

Sorry about the cliched last sentence, but you know what I mean.
    Yes, true he's family, but family often take advantage. OP has had the things cluttering up their house for four years, brother only shows an interest when there's a bit of money. Four years, not four months! I'd tell him to sort the stuff himself and keep any profit, or leave me to deal with it and I'm keeping any profit. It's not a vast amount, it would be different if it were first editions, for example, but it's not.
  • RajaStyleRajaStyle Forumite
    336 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    No you did the work keep it
  • MaiddaisyMaiddaisy Forumite
    1 Post
    Fourth Anniversary First Post
    I took some unwanted books to work and offered them “free” to anyone who might want them. A colleague/friend took some, listed them on ebay and made some dosh. (He only told me after the event.) I didn’t ask for or expect any of the proceeds, I could have done it had I wished. I was just glad it had found a good home. Offer your brother any of the rest of the stuff if he wishes to do the work. He should put up or shut up.