Forum Home» Marriage, Relationships & Families

Money Moral Dilemma: I sold the books my brother didn't want - should I share the money with him?

New Post Advanced Search

Money Moral Dilemma: I sold the books my brother didn't want - should I share the money with him?

49 replies 28.1K views
MSE_KelvinMSE_Kelvin MSE Staff
172 posts
Third Anniversary 10 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
MSE Staff
This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

For the last four years, I've stored various things given to me and my brother at my house. My brother's made it clear he doesn't want any of them, so I've begun to sell some to free up space, and sold a couple of books online for £50. Now my brother says I should give him half the money, even though I stored them in my house all that time, then listed them, paid the seller fees and posted them off. Should I share the proceeds?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be a point of debate and discussed at face value.

B  If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
  Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? Suggest an MMD.

Replies

• WoozieSioux_tseWoozieSioux_tse Forumite
    31 posts
    10 Posts
    How well do you get on with your brother? Who gave these items to you both and what were their wishes? Did your brother actually say he didn't want any of the items, or was he just not bothering to divvy them up?

You did the work, so I'd say you should at least get a bigger share of the proceeds. Point out to him the fees and time you've spent listing the items. How much more do you think you'll be able to sell? So far, it's not a lot of money, certainly not enough to be falling out over. But it's also the principle of the issue- he's not really helped to sell the items (apart from possibly saying he didn't want them!), so he shouldn't get a 50/50 split. 
  • Marvel1Marvel1 Forumite
    6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, he didn't want them, he give them up.
  • edited 27 April at 7:07PM
    pollypennypollypenny Forumite
    29.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 27 April at 7:07PM
    If you'd sold them immediately with the intention of making a few quid, you should share. However, if you've kept them for years and now need the space - no. 

But it's probably not worth a big falling out over £25. 
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Terry10RTerry10R Forumite
    3 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Hi
    lot of people like your brother out there!
    They are not interested until they see money then they suddenly change their view.
    let someone else do the work then they want in.
    I would tell him to swivel.
    Trouble is that it is your brother.
    I feel very sorry for you.

• cookie*cookie* Forumite
    26 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    share with him, just to keep the peace...(if you have a good relationship...)

however, imo you should take off the fees you paid, the postage, put a price on your time (for the effort of listing etc) and then give him what's left.
    only charge for the storage if it caused you inconvenience imo, but that's for you to decide if you will charge for storage too.

personally i would hand him £15 - "take it or leave it" kinda deal.

whatever you decide tho, good luck. 
  • confusedgrannyconfusedgranny Forumite
    14 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 10 Posts
    Would have been best to say what you intended to do first. And make sure you sort out what's happening before you do anything with the rest. Perhaps suggest that he takes half of the items to sell. If he doesn't want to do that he may come to some agreement on a fair split.
  • billthebusbillthebus Forumite
    1 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Donate it all to a charity then everybody wins. Simples...
  • LancsLizLancsLiz Forumite
    2 posts
    Second Anniversary First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Deduct all your seller fees, p&p and other genuine expenses and give him half of the remainder. 
    Then, for each next item that you’re going to sell, ask him if he’s going to do the legwork this time, or else you should get expenses AND a larger share for those future items. 
  • keithyno.1keithyno.1 Forumite
    28 posts
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Of course you should share the proceeds. Knock off the cost of the seller fees and the postage first though, so you’re not losing out. I mean, it’s your BROTHER you’re talking about here! If it was the previous owner of your house who’d just passed the keys over leaving a pile of unwanted junk behind, then fair enough. But family is family, and blood’s thicker than water.

Sorry about the cliched last sentence, but you know what I mean.