The savings pit

Hello forum!

I have joined the site and am starting a thread in an attempt to record my daily efforts to get a savings pot together. Predictive text changed that to savings pit haha!

I am a single mum of two so there always seems to be something to pay for. I have recently finished some renovations so now seems like as good a time as any to find a few pounds to set aside. 

I routinely try to spend sensibly and keep a spending diary, use up leftovers, buy secondhand where possible etc. 

I think it’s important to take care of your things, get your use out of them and mend/repair to help them last.

There is a lot of pressure now a days to spend, spend, spend. I think there is a balance to be struck, especially when teaching young children the value of money. 

Hopefully all these things will help me put a little aside. 

I am starting with £200. Let’s see what I can add...

Comments

• Welcome @Deleted_User 🤗 new people are always welcome as we can steal new money savings ideas from you 😆 

Looking forward to following your diary. I was brought up with make do & mend and it feels good to reuse & recycle. It’s great you are teaching your children the value of money. ☺️
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Welcome to the wonderful world of money pots, although I did like the error 😃

Are you claiming all the benefits you're entitled to, if working at home don't forget to claim the tax relief, double check you're with the cheapest but good gas / electric supplier etc.

Don't try to run before walking. Set a small achievable savings goal each time you get paid, keep reaching it consistently for 3 or 4 months then increase it a little bit for another few months etc. 

A lot of us make take-aways instead of buying them, sometimes recipes get out up.

Remember, you're not alone. Read some of the other diaries, pinch ideas and everything will start falling into place.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Hallo Thrifty Brunette, welcome I look forward to reading about your money saving endeavours. We are praying for some rain here where i live, have a good day.
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • savingwannabe
    How wonderful. Well done you!
  • MovingForwards
    Took a while to think of an appropriate name, it seems to suit me.

Good news is always welcome, a natural spirit lifter and boost.

There's a gardening section further up the forum and each year a new thread is started where people chat about the fruit and veg they're growing that year. It's worth a look. 

As I started from scratch last year, I was buying a couple of growing magazines as they do free seeds every month. Now I'm into my second year, or first full year, I've found a good, cheap and reliable seed seller where I can buy by amount and use the internet and a couple of gardening books for info. W1lko, A1DI, L1dl sell seeds, those and supermarkets sell young veg plants.

If you have fresh tomatoes, peppers, take some of the seeds and let them dry on a bit of tissue after a couple of days put them in a pot with compost, water, place in front of a sunny window and wait for them to grow; water when the compost is drying out. You can do the same with apple, pear, orange, lemon, lime, melon pips but there's no guarantee you will get an apple or pear like what you ate originally. Potatoes from the shop, any which sprout at home, stick them in compost. A couple of garlic cloves put in October will generate new bulbs over about 8 months. 

That's enough to get you growing for a while 😃
  • MovingForwards
    You're already ahead and having experienced information on tap is great!

Think it's tumbling toms you want, apparently normal ones still try and grow upwards.

We're all going to be very envious with you talking about crumbles ☺️
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Skint_yet_Again Posts: 7,547 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Well done on returning the unsuitable Christmas presents & bag. I recently took back some Christmas slippers that had fallen apart by Boxing Day. It seems weird months later but we have had no choice due to lockdown. Great that you got other things you need instead. 

Have you ever used the McD survey at the top of your receipt? I’ve done it loads before lockdown & got a Big Mac & fries for £1.99. 
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • MovingForwards
    Very productive and DC1 sounds like she's sorted out for a while.
    Pending (earmarked) transactions are frustrating and I never understand why they take so long.
    Hope you have a good weekend.
  • MovingForwards
    Set a savings goal slightly over what you can definitely save as you don't want to get disheartened. If you consistently hit it, increase it by a couple of quid after a few months.

Hope you enjoy your Sunday.
  • savingwannabe
    This seems very positive and organised. Well done you on going out and about after lockdown. Let's enjoy it. Good luck with car insurance. I agree i saved more when i started off small and did a regular standing order, every bit helps. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure