Just bought 43" TV

Options
13»

Comments

• mobileron
    mobileron Posts: 1,218 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Buy him a firestick with voice command and he will rarely use the tv remote. It worked for my 91 year old MIL.
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    mobileron said:
    Buy him a firestick with voice command and he will rarely use the tv remote. It worked for my 91 year old MIL.
    This one has Amazon Alexa, so would he need the separate box/hub?
  • mobileron
    mobileron Posts: 1,218 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Looks like the tv will do it all for him so no stick required.Just speak to the LG remote.
  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,152 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    His old TV had a connector for a screw-in cable/BB connector, but not this TV. I am guessing that type of connector has been superseded by ethernet connectors.
    Never known a screw F-connector to be used for coaxial broadband/ethernet - 50 ohm BNC plugs, yes.  But RJ45 is now the standard connector used for unshielded twisted pair ethernet.

Much more likely the F-socket was for a Satellite tuner - from an LNB on a dish?

Cable TV tuners in TVs always use the same IEC/Belling-Lee TV plug as terrestrial (not that they are much use with UK Cable TV suppliers).

Virgin/NTL use the same connector for their broadband service but that requires use of their proprietary modems in their boxes, I've never heard of one built in to a TV set.
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Rodders53 said:

Much more likely the F-socket was for a Satellite tuner - from an LNB on a dish?

I left it unconnected, not sure what it was, TV worked ok.
    There were two screw-in aerial type connectors and this other screw-in. I don't think he has ever had Sky/Virgin. I didn't connect an ethernet cable either, seemed to connect wi-fi ok
  • Rodders53
    Options
    There were two screw-in aerial type connectors and this other screw-in. I don't think he has ever had Sky/Virgin.
    That makes no sense to me. 
    Make and model of the old and the new TVs so I can Google the connections and handbooks to try to work out what you are referring to with these 'screw-in aerial type connectors'.
  • jimbo6977
    jimbo6977 Posts: 1,228 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Rodders53 said:
    There were two screw-in aerial type connectors and this other screw-in. I don't think he has ever had Sky/Virgin.
    Make and model of the old and the new TVs so I can Google the connections and handbooks to try to work out what you are referring to with these 'screw-in aerial type connectors'.
    Built in freesat?
  • Rodders53
    edited 5 May 2021 at 10:10AM
    Options
    jimbo6977 said:
    Rodders53 said:
    Built in freesat?
    I already suggested that one in an earlier reply...  
    Explain what the three (I've bolded the phrase that's incomprehensible to me {you'll need to show previous posts} without a picture / TV model number) are?
  • oldagetraveller1
    oldagetraveller1 Posts: 1,270 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 5 May 2021 at 11:09AM
    Options
    This one has 350 NITS and 20 watts compared to the 40" which had 220 NITS and 16 watts. I read that NITS is not a reliable figure.

What are NITS?

They are what a nurse used to visit a school and examine pupils' heads for infestation!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback