Just bought 43" TV

Options
I have just bought this for a relative.
Reading about the specifications, NITS, sound output, total KWH used, number of HDMI ports.
It's been a few years since I bought a TV, what should be a deciding factor on which TV to buy. This one has 350 NITS and 20 watts compared to the 40" which had 220 NITS and 16 watts. I read that NITS is not a reliable figure.
Price looked good @ £279

Comments

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Depends entirely on the usage pattern.  If all you're going to do is watch the Freeview channels and connect nothing else to it, it doesn't matter how many HDMI ports it has or whether it washes the dishes or not.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    edited 7 April 2021 at 9:34PM
    Options
    I mean they are all pretty much ok these days unless there is a specific requirement.

I however would not be buying a currys "own brand" tv as my only/main tv. Fine for seldom used one in some other room though (if the price is right). But that's just me. (jvc name is licensed to currys to slap on whatever cheap tat they can get hold of).

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    If you have bought it, is it not a bit late to be deciding if the specification is any good?

• jimbo6977
    jimbo6977 Posts: 1,226 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It'll be fine. A significant number of people I would guess a large majority in fact, either can't tell one tv from another and/or don't care. 

The main consideration is probably the user interface ie can they quickly and easily find Homes Under The Hammer when they want to. 
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,885 Forumite
    Options
    If you have bought it, is it not a bit late to be deciding if the specification is any good?

I didn't see a thread about buying TVs, so I thought it was a useful discussion and it might help others.
    The user is an old person, so no special requirements. It will be larger than his old Toshiba, I thought a model with a more modern HDMI 2 and brighter screen would be good. I was initially looking at a set with HDMI 1.4, this one actually uses less electricity than the 40" version, assuming the specs are correct.
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    Options
    A TV that isn't on will always use less electricity than one that is. :)

And JVC like most common brands now, are rebranded Vestels (The original Japanese company of JVC doesn't exist, and hasn't since 2011, it was merged with Kenwood).  It'll be pretty much only the Samsungs and the Sonys (and maybe the LGs) that are not rebranded Vestel products.

Vestel is stereotypically cheap and cheerful, but for most people this isn't necessarily a problem since its not entirely obvious that you have a wolf in sheep's clothing as it were, as long as you can watch Bargain Hunt on it what else matters.
  • mobileron
    mobileron Posts: 1,218 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Lets hope it dont break down,then the fun starts with Currys service.
    Still amazed anyone would buy a tv from Currys,how many free years warranty did they give u.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options

I didn't see a thread about buying TVs, so I thought it was a useful discussion and it might help others.
    The user is an old person, so no special requirements. It will be larger than his old Toshiba, I thought a model with a more modern HDMI 2 and brighter screen would be good. I was initially looking at a set with HDMI 1.4, this one actually uses less electricity than the 40" version, assuming the specs are correct.
    There have been quite a few TV buying threads

Most TV threads the first 2  bits of advice 

1. Buy from RS(6y) or JL(5y)  (there are a couple of others that offer 5y as well)
    https://www.richersounds.com/tv-projectors/all-tvs.html?tv_screen_size_breaks=1362
    https://www.johnlewis.com/browse/electricals/televisions/view-all-tvs/size=39-to-46/_/N-6srfZ1z0oizs

2. Go to AVforums for more information that you could ever want.

starting here
    https://www.avforums.com/forums/what-is-the-best-tv-for-you.367/
    then the tech
    https://www.avforums.com/threads/which-tv-to-buy-and-why-tv-terminology-explained-read-this.1940209/

then read the current my best value thread by dodgexander
    https://www.avforums.com/threads/new-my-best-value-tvs-2020-2021-edition.2325951/

• Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    This one has 350 NITS and 20 watts compared to the 40" which had 220 NITS and 16 watts. I read that NITS is not a reliable figure.

What are NITS?

• sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,885 Forumite
    Options
    What are NITS?

A NIT is a measurement of how much light the TV screen sends to your eyes (luminance) within a given area. On a more technical level, a NIT is the amount of light output equal to one candela per square meter (cd/m2 - a standardized measurement of luminous intensity).
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback