Electric car charging

Options

Comments

• Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The concept of EV vehicles is a great idea but is full off anomalies. 

The normal domestic car is not a heavy polluter but the buses and HGVs are. 

An HGV will travel an average of 260 miles a day carrying up to 32 tonnes of goods. 

Even the best electric motors and the most powerful batteries will only give the wagon a range of around 135 miles. 

Even with a 'supercharger' to replenish the batteries it would take over 3 hours to recharge. 

So, your supermarket food is now 135 miles away from the distribution centre and 60 miles away from your supermarket but now has to stop for 3 hours to recharge.  I

nstead of supplying 10 to 12 supermarkets a day with produce the lorry will only be able to supply 2 or 3.  Now we need 3-4 times the number of lorries on the road just to maintain the supply chain. 

Now tell me EV vehicles are the solution!

Well, your 3 hour figure is wrong, provided that the driver can make do with an 80% charge.  And if you're out-and-about, rather than charging overnight, then an 80% charge is all you'd normally do.

Bear in mind that truck drivers are required to take breaks every few hours anyway, by law.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • henry24
    henry24 Posts: 322 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Will an 80% charge give you an 80% range so needing more stops and more cost. Truck drivers do need a break but only 45 minutes every 4 5 hours or if motorway driving 200 miles it will never work. How do you suggest they put charging points in every lay by 
  • Polly05
    Polly05 Posts: 376 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Polly05 said:
    Does anyone know if you can get a charging point fitted (on a pole type thing), in your designated parking space in a car park outside your home?
    Thanks

Yes you can, you just need the approval of whoever is responsable for the land between your home and parking space

My installer ran the cable under the path, reinstalling it so that you could not tell it had been done, installed the post etc. and claimed the OLEV grant against the cost of installation.

Knowing what i know now I would not have run a second cable for a charging point for the OH as one is plenty for two cars.

Make sure you sign up for a cheap overnight electrcity supplier like octupus go - 4.5p/Kwh (£1 per 100 miles)

Ooh that's very encouraging! Thank you! 
    Which installer did you use? 

Thanks! 
  • fred990
    fred990 Posts: 379 Forumite
    Options
    It's just a fashion. Even once everyone is driving electric, they will still want you to buy a brand new car every 3 years which in itself is not very environmentally friendly. 
    An excellent point, not made by the industry or those rushing out to get on the bandwagon....I wonder why? 

Yup given time the churn on EV's to keep up with the Joneses will be horrendous for emissions, CO2, precious metals, plastics etc...

Funnily, i've been pondering a small Caddy sized van to facilitate a side project i'm going to work on. I havent seen much movement yet, but in theory markets like pickups and vans are likely to be hit by the upcoming downturn.
    Would be interesting to hear if anyone has direct experience?

Why? So you can argue with them?
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,377 Forumite
    Options
    henry24 said:
    Will an 80% charge give you an 80% range so needing more stops and more cost. Truck drivers do need a break but only 45 minutes every 4 5 hours or if motorway driving 200 miles it will never work. How do you suggest they put charging points in every lay by 

There will need to be charging points everywhere.  At least, 45 minutes should get the truck back up to 80% if the charge point is fast enough.

Once electric trucks become available and affordable, diesel trucks will be on their way out very quickly.  The fuel costs are enormous, as are the maintenance bills.  Tesla are planning trucks with ranges up to 500 miles (depending on the battery pack size), and to offer a one million mile warranty.  But we aren't seeing them on the roads because at the moment, they can't get enough batteries to make them.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ectophile said:
    henry24 said:

There will need to be charging points everywhere.  At least, 45 minutes should get the truck back up to 80% if the charge point is fast enough.

Someone is going to have fund these installations. As combustion engine usage declines then tax is going to be levied on EV users. 
  • JamoLew
    JamoLew Posts: 1,800 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    i am still yet to be convinced purely from the financial side of the equation.

I do 8k miles a year

Paying ~25% more for an EV over an ICE equivalent just doesn't work

Plus the "modern" way of swapping your car every 3 years

Now drop the price by 25% and you may well hook me - but not now
  • DrEskimo
    DrEskimo Posts: 2,352 Forumite
    Options
    JamoLew said:

I do 8k miles a year

Feel like a broken record, but it's not the difference in purchase price that you need to consider, it's the difference in depreciation costs. A higher cost EV will be worth more than a lower cost ICE at any point in its ownership.

My used Zoe has depreciated about £2k over the last 2yrs, whereas an equivalent used Clio has depreciated around £3-4k. 

Despite the fact it was a few grand more to buy, the cost to run it has been substantially lower. Half the depreciation costs, 1/10th the fuel costs and no VED.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    DrEskimo said:
    JamoLew said:

I do 8k miles a year

Feel like a broken record, but it's not the difference in purchase price that you need to consider, it's the difference in depreciation costs. A higher cost EV will be worth more than a lower cost ICE at any point in its ownership.

My used Zoe has depreciated about £2k over the last 2yrs, whereas an equivalent used Clio has depreciated around £3-4k. 

Despite the fact it was a few grand more to buy, the cost to run it has been substantially lower. Half the depreciation costs, 1/10th the fuel costs and no VED.

No VED on my pre-2017 Focus 1.6TDCI neither. :)
  • JamoLew
    JamoLew Posts: 1,800 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 10 April 2021 at 1:40PM
    Options
    DrEskimo said:
    JamoLew said:

I do 8k miles a year

Still not convinced - does a new EV only cost 1-2k more than an ICE ? 

If not the difference in depreciation doesnt factor in

I hate the Zoe anyway -too small, hate the design, even hate the name.

Quite like the  Polestar, Mustang design wise 
    Possibly the Peugeot

But still 25% too expensive (imo)

it may add up in 4 to 5 years time when I plan on changing my vehicle but not now when I own outright a 4year old low (ish) mileage ICE that costs £20 a year VED 

As an aside - it will be very interesting how all this affects Motor Sport.

I fear the worst - nothing beats the noise and smell on a race day
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure