Money Moral Dilemma: Is it 'morally wrong' to use student discounts aged 55?

This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

I'm a 55-year-old mature student doing a continuing education course at a university, which is about two hours a week, plus reading, studying etc. As such, I have a university email address, which means I'm eligible for all manner of student discounts. My 20-year-old son, who is also a student, is appalled that I can do this and says it's "morally wrong" as I'm "not a proper student". Is it wrong for me to take advantage of these offers? 

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be a point of debate and discussed at face value.

B  If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
  Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? Suggest an MMD.
Follow MSE on other Social Media: MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram, Threads, Join the MSE ForumGet the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mailReport inappropriate posts: click the report buttonFlag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com

Comments

• No, it’s not morally wrong, as long as you aren’t misrepresenting your status.
  • JoC13
    JoC13 Posts: 1 Newbie
    First Post
    I am appalled that they are viewing this the way they are, frankly I was shocked. You are a student therefore you can receive student discounts, age has no bearing on it at all.
  • No of course it is not. You are studying at university so therefore you are a student, you age is irrelevant. I went back to university to study for an MA when I was older than you currently are. The student fees were quite expensive, so I  had no qualms about taking advantage of student discounts. I benefited from student discounts on books, on theatre and cinema visits as well as at restaurants. Despite my age no one ever questioned my right to such discounts. Businesses simply will not care about your age in fact in the current pandemic they will simply be glad that you want to spend money with them. Ignore your son he is talking rubbish. 
  • purpoise
    purpoise Posts: 126 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    What's the problem? You are studying and the discount is for people who are studying. I used my night-school pottery classes student card sometimes for a 'student' discount.
    If you are studying/using your brain, supposedly you are staving off the onset of Alzheimers/Dementia. This could save the NHS some money. The businesses who offer a discount obviously can afford it and take your money gladly, otherwise they wouldn't offer it.
    Don't bother with moral mental gymnastics, just show your card. If quizzed, ask the server if they have stopped trying to improve themself.
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    You're a student so of course you're entitled. I don't understand why anyone would think otherwise.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • If you are otherwise earning a living, then it is morally wrong to benefit from a scheme designed to help students who do not earn a living.
  • J3T
    J3T Posts: 1 Newbie
    First Post
    I’m a student. One day a week & I’m 53 & I use my nus extra card almost daily. 
    If we’re entitled to it then why not? 
    ‘You’re son got an ‘ology in rudeness?🤷‍♀️
  • Oh for god's sake. You're a student, therefore you get student discount. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback