Wise (Transferwise) changing debit cards to Visa

Options
Wise are now offering a Visa Debit card - think they are phasing out Mastercard debit cards. Even if you have the Mastercard debit card (and one would think that it will continue to work as normal until it's expiry), you can still order the Visa Debit card (which will start shipping from April 2021.

Comments

• greyteam1959
    greyteam1959 Posts: 4,576 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Does it really matter ??

• dr_adidas01
    dr_adidas01 Posts: 2,136 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 31 March 2021 at 7:29PM
    Options
    Does it really matter ??

It might and the OP was just being helpful and informing people of something that might be useful to some forum members. 

Time is a path from the past to the future and back again. The present is the crossroads of both. :cool:
  • greyteam1959
    greyteam1959 Posts: 4,576 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 31 March 2021 at 8:46PM
    Options
    Why would it matter ??
    I have a Wise debit card
    & I could not give a monkeys if it is a Visa or a  MasterCard card.

• Armorica
    Armorica Posts: 866 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    oh - that is interesting. Most of the news recently has been about changing from Visa to Mastercard, so interesting a card issuer is going the other way.
    In terms of why it matters...then one area is interchange fees, which can different, the other would be if one has an outage...you might want to ensure you have cards of both brands from different providers.
  • *California*
    Options
    Does it really matter ??

I believe, it does really matter.
  • sausage_time
    sausage_time Posts: 755 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Their virtual debit card is already Visa, so if you have that you can swing both ways!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Credit Cards and Budgeting & Bank Accounts boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • s_r
    s_r Posts: 42 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Did some research and the reason behind their switch to Visa is to be able to introduce their borderless account in a lot of new countries (especially in Asia and Africa). In some countries, it is incredibly difficult to convert your savings into a foreign currency (especially where your base currency might be relatively small and not a reserve currency like we have with the GBP) so it will definitely benefit a lot of people having a Wise borderless account.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I was reading something in this context yesterday. VISA has some sort of new system that supports real-time domestic and cross-border person-to-person, business-to-small business and business-to-consumer transactions. Obviously just the kind of things Wise does.

https://www.finextra.com/newsarticle/37772/visa-expands-global-money-movement-beyond-the-card
  • jbrassy
    jbrassy Posts: 670 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    As someone who has done quite a bit of travelling, it can matter. For example, when I visited Peru, I sometimes went to more rural places where Visa was widely accepted and Mastercard wasn't. I make sure I carry a Mastercard and a Visa when abroad for this reason. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback