Tiny House UK?

Options

Comments

• Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,683 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Obviously I want to stay within the rules as all tiny house residents want to But it's hard to find exact allowances for exactly how long you can keep your tiny house in one place? Anyway how would they exact dates if you keep moving,mand the worst that could happen is get told to move on which we want o do anyway
    The info seems pretty clear-cut to me from the link posted above.  28 days is the max on agricultural land.  Unless you have Permitted Development Rights or Planning Permission.  But I'd think it's unlikely you get either. So you'd have to be moving every 4 weeks at least. 

Where can I put my Tiny House in the UK? 

This is a good question. It’s something we get A LOT. You can legally put your tiny house in a number of places including;

Within the curtilage of your home/dwelling i.e in the garden 

On a plot of land, such as farm land for a period of 28 days or you can place it there for longer under permitted development rights

On a caravan site as tiny houses are movable homes on wheels, therefore they fall under the caravan rules & regulations

On a park home / residential home site - this can be done if your tiny house is built to specific standards such as BS:E3632:2015 (must be no more than 3.05m tall)

On land where you’ve applied for planning permission within a residential area

On a glamping site for holiday let purposes (with planning permission approved)

From https://www.thetinyhousing.co/blog/understanding-the-uk-laws-of-a-tiny-house

• danjackson2021
    Options
    Zanderman said:
    Obviously I want to stay within the rules as all tiny house residents want to But it's hard to find exact allowances for exactly how long you can keep your tiny house in one place? Anyway how would they exact dates if you keep moving,mand the worst that could happen is get told to move on which we want o do anyway
    The info seems pretty clear-cut to me from the link posted above.  28 days is the max on agricultural land.  Unless you have Permitted Development Rights or Planning Permission.  But I'd think it's unlikely you get either. So you'd have to be moving every 4 weeks at least. 

This is a good question. It’s something we get A LOT. You can legally put your tiny house in a number of places including;

On a plot of land, such as farm land for a period of 28 days or you can place it there for longer under permitted development rights

On a caravan site as tiny houses are movable homes on wheels, therefore they fall under the caravan rules & regulations

On a park home / residential home site - this can be done if your tiny house is built to specific standards such as BS:E3632:2015 (must be no more than 3.05m tall)

From https://www.thetinyhousing.co/blog/understanding-the-uk-laws-of-a-tiny-house

The question is though, it’s 28days from when someone notices you there
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,028 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Zanderman said:

How do you know whether you've been noticed or not? How do you know whether you've been noticed AND reported?

You might be noticed on day 1 and not know it. Can you live with that uncertainty?
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • adonis
    adonis Posts: 1,072 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Eating Guinea pigs, are you Peruvian by any chance?
  • GaleSF63
    GaleSF63 Posts: 1,536 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Do you really want to spend your retirement constantly looking over your shoulder? Wondering when you will next be moved on?
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,683 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Zanderman said:

Actually, as you stately categorically that you want to stay within the rules, the maximum is clearly 28 days.

There's no question. It's clear-cut.

You did say you wanted to know exact allowances. 
  • danjackson2021
    danjackson2021 Posts: 278 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What happens when someone doesn’t move their tiny house after the notice period ?

someone else said you just keep getting warnings until eventually they will come and move you themselves but this takes ages to actually happen 
  • GeordieGeorge
    GeordieGeorge Posts: 500 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Is this part of the plan to avoid the official receiver?
  • Mickey666
    Mickey666 Posts: 2,834 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    What happens when someone doesn’t move their tiny house after the notice period ?

someone else said you just keep getting warnings until eventually they will come and move you themselves but this takes ages to actually happen 
    If you're lucky.

If you're unlucky someone might set your caravan/tinyhome alight.  When you're abusing the law by trespassing on someone else's land, you can't rely on them not to also abuse the law.  Feelings can run high about such things.

Same with flytippers: https://metro.co.uk/2019/05/01/flytippers-really-regret-dumping-rubbish-farmers-land-9374134/
  • GeordieGeorge
    GeordieGeorge Posts: 500 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I quite like the idea of one of these tiny homes to stick on a property as a guest house, or just a place to spend the occasional night away from the main home.

Having one by a river, with a log burning fire a veranda and a champagne fridge seems quite idyllic.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback