Walkers when you're out cycling & also filtering during busy traffic.

Replies

• I was really hoping this discussion was going to be about how to eat a bag of Walkers Crisps in two different scenarios when cycling.

However, back on topic, always walk towards traffic.
    I'm writing a book on plagiarism. It wasn't my idea.
  • JustAnotherSaverJustAnotherSaver Forumite
    6.7K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    esuhl said:

Another thing is to beware of cycle-lanes and cycle-paths. 
    Ahh much frustration!!
    People walking on the bike side of the path and not moving until you're about to hit each other. You don't want to shift over as a cyclist because you're then on the pedestrian side and are they also going to shift over at the same time as you do and then you're caught in the whole to me, to you scenario.
    There's one particular cycle path I like to do for time around here. It's a short burst and the bends are wide enough to be able to see anyone coming the other way in good time.
    Still, it doesn't stop a family taking up the entire path and moving over at the last second or someone with their dog on 100ft lead refusing to reel it in.
    I just think if i was a pedestrian in that situation, not even my first thought but my only thought would be to get out of the way of a cyclist. Stay on the side i should be on, if i'm in a group then tuck in behind someone and tell them to move over in to the proper lane. The whole entitled do as i please mentality isn't something i can wrap my head around.
  • gozaimasugozaimasu Forumite
    860 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    I have a copy of the Highway Code on my passenger seat so that I can easily hold it up to other drivers who might pull out on me at a roundabout when they should give way to the right. Same for drivers who pull out onto my side of the road when the obstruction (usually parked car) is on their side of the road and they are on the ones that should give way. Less aggressive than giving them the middle finger. You can take bets on how long it will take me to get murdered by a road rage psycho with a hammer.

As a pedestrian on country roads I will walk facing traffic unless it's a dodgy bend, in which case I'll go to the opposite side of the road so that oncoming drivers can see me.

• Barny1979Barny1979 Forumite
    7.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Entitled lycra wearer shocker. As said multiple times, but walking against the flow is safer as you can see any hazards.
  • edited 6 March 2021 at 10:12AM
    Norman_CastleNorman_Castle Forumite
    11.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 6 March 2021 at 10:12AM
    gozaimasu said:
     Same for drivers who pull out onto my side of the road when the obstruction (usually parked car) is on their side of the road and they are on the ones that should give way.
    This is becoming increasingly common and I don't think drivers realise its wrong. Slowing, stopping and waiting is becoming a novelty.
    For anyone confused by this, if your lane is blocked, you have to wait and not force oncoming traffic to stop.
    Getting funky on the scene
  • edited 6 March 2021 at 2:56PM
    lesta_jestalesta_jesta Forumite
    61 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 6 March 2021 at 2:56PM
    gozaimasu said:
    I have a copy of the Highway Code on my passenger seat so that I can easily hold it up to other drivers
    Great idea, I'm gonna pinch it (the idea) thank you :)

I run because I like BEER..... ;)
    7.9K Posts
    Highway Code - ​160
    Once moving you should
    • drive with both hands on the wheel where possible. This will help you to remain in full control of the vehicle at all times. You may use driver assistance systems while you are driving. Make sure you use any system according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
  • lesta_jestalesta_jesta Forumite
    61 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Farfetch said:
    I have heard from the odd runner who says roads with tarmac are easier on the leg than concrete pavement but doesn't excuse them running in bike lanes near me when they're made of the same stuff as the pavement!
    Possibly. I always thought there must be a reason behind it, even if it's not one I know about.

Q) there must be a reason behind it............
    A)Pavements have undulations caused by dropped kerbs over the pavement, which can if they are severe cause a runner to stumble.

I run because I like BEER..... ;)
    7.9K Posts
    As said, a tarmac road, rather than a footway is easier and more comfortable to run on. Ultimately the road is fro traffic, both vehicular and pedestrian.
  • gozaimasugozaimasu Forumite
    860 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    Barny1979 said:
    Highway Code - ​160
    Once moving you should
    • drive with both hands on the wheel where possible. This will help you to remain in full control of the vehicle at all times. You may use driver assistance systems while you are driving. Make sure you use any system according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
    If I've slowed to a stop for such an inconsiderate driver, then I have put the handbrake on waiting for them to pass the obstruction on their side of the road, so I have a free hand to hold up the highway code. Even if I didn't, my hand is likely near the gearstick so that I can change to first. But thanks for your post, you knew I'd rise to it ;)