Walkers when you're out cycling & also filtering during busy traffic.

Replies

• JustAnotherSaverJustAnotherSaver Forumite
    6.7K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    gozaimasu said:
    I have a copy of the Highway Code on my passenger seat so that I can easily hold it up to other drivers who might pull out on me

Great idea, I'm gonna pinch it (the idea) thank you :)

Reminded me of a video I watched this morning. A little on topic since it involved a cyclist.

I generally start the working morning by watching compilation dash cam clips as i eat my breakfast. Each to their own & all that.
    One clip I watched this morning was of this cyclist who spotted a motorist who had ran a red light some distance from him.

He damn near had a heart attack trying to catch up with this motorist but eventually he did. Once he was able to catch his breath a bit he started shouting at them SECTION 5 SECTION 5 and telling them to pull over.

I thought who the hell is this clown thinking he's the law? He's lucky nobody is sticking the nut on him. Instead he was just spat at and had things thrown at him.

I hit up the comments section to see if anyone had posted their views on this guy and that's when i found out he's quite well known.

Looks like he ended up upsetting the wrong guy in the end.

• missilemissile Forumite
    11.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Farfetch said:
    martindow said:
    OP, I'm not sure that your first point has much logic.  If pedestrians are facing the traffic as suggested in the Highway Code aren't they more likely to move a bit to let you pass than if you are coming up behind them when they are less likely to notice you?
    A great many pedestrians aren't aware of more than 6" in front of their nose, just yesterday I was out and 4 people were walking 4 abreast down a single file road and I almost had to come to a complete stop 3m or so away (rather than just slowing to a crawl) before they noticed and moved over - clear day, plenty of visibility etc

I find the issue more is that certain pedestrians (typically runners) are allergic to the pavement, such that they come out in hives if they go near it, so have to run in the road or in bike lanes for their own safety. Imagine how terrible it would be to live like that - step one foot to your left off the bike lane and onto the pavement and you risk death.
    Some cyclists are really ignorant. 
    I came round a bend on a twisty narrow road to find two parents(?) riding two abreast with a child cycling in front. When it was safe to overtake, I tooted my horn to let them know and got foul mouth abuse as I passed.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • Norman_CastleNorman_Castle Forumite
    11.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    missile said:
    Farfetch said:
    martindow said:
    OP, I'm not sure that your first point has much logic.  If pedestrians are facing the traffic as suggested in the Highway Code aren't they more likely to move a bit to let you pass than if you are coming up behind them when they are less likely to notice you?
    A great many pedestrians aren't aware of more than 6" in front of their nose, just yesterday I was out and 4 people were walking 4 abreast down a single file road and I almost had to come to a complete stop 3m or so away (rather than just slowing to a crawl) before they noticed and moved over - clear day, plenty of visibility etc

I find the issue more is that certain pedestrians (typically runners) are allergic to the pavement, such that they come out in hives if they go near it, so have to run in the road or in bike lanes for their own safety. Imagine how terrible it would be to live like that - step one foot to your left off the bike lane and onto the pavement and you risk death.
    I came round a bend on a twisty narrow road to find two parents(?) riding two abreast with a child cycling in front. When it was safe to overtake, I tooted my horn to let them know and got foul mouth abuse as I passed.
    Its unsurprising your horn sounding was misinterpreted as its most often done in those circumstances as a complaint from impatient motorists. If your overtake was safe you shouldn't need to use the horn, they will be able to hear your car and be aware of what you are doing.

Getting funky on the scene
  • unforeseenunforeseen Forumite
    6.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
     they will be able to hear your car and be aware of what you are doing.
    And for a lot of people those two things are mutually exclusive. 

• JustAnotherSaverJustAnotherSaver Forumite
    6.7K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Impatient cyclists. Oblivious pedestrians.
    I don't think any one 'group' can be pigeon-holed ..... people in general are so ignorant and entitled. The world owes them everything.
    Everyone employs the viewpoint that everyone else is wrong and only I am right.

Probably no surprise I prefer animals to humans :)
  • FarfetchFarfetch Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Barny1979 said:
    As said, a tarmac road, rather than a footway is easier and more comfortable to run on. Ultimately the road is fro traffic, both vehicular and pedestrian.

A bike lane has 100kg+ bikes coming at 15mph+
    A road has 2 tonne cars doing 20-30mph+
    If you'd rather run on the road, rather than the footpath/footway where you belong, more fool you if you get hit. Stay on the pavement

He who rejects change is the architect of decay. The only human institution which rejects progress is the cemetery.

-Harold Wilson

3.5K Posts
    Forumite
    missile said:
    Farfetch said:
    martindow said:

Beeping a horn at people just antagonises people, there was no reason for it. Just pass them wide or give them warning like "passing on your right".
    Also, were they really "cyclists"? Or just randoms on a bike with a kid on a bike. I rather suspect the latter who probably thought you were beeping at them out of impatience.

He who rejects change is the architect of decay. The only human institution which rejects progress is the cemetery.

-Harold Wilson

• Barny1979Barny1979 Forumite
    7.9K Posts
    Farfetch said:
    Barny1979 said:
    As said, a tarmac road, rather than a footway is easier and more comfortable to run on. Ultimately the road is fro traffic, both vehicular and pedestrian.

If you'd rather run on the road, rather than the footpath/footway where you belong, more fool you if you get hit. Stay on the pavement
    I run on the road where it is safe and appropriate, wouldn't do it on a heavily trafficked road.
    3.5K Posts
    Forumite
    Barny1979 said:
    Farfetch said:
    Barny1979 said:

I run on the road where it is safe and appropriate, wouldn't do it on a heavily trafficked road.
    Ah another one of the runners allergic to the pavement. You are not a car, you should only be in the road where there is no pavement. Deliberately choosing to run in the road when there is a perfectly good footpath which is safe to use is lunacy

-Harold Wilson

• edited 8 March 2021 at 11:35AM
    Barny1979Barny1979 Forumite
    7.9K Posts
    edited 8 March 2021 at 11:35AM
    Farfetch said:
    Barny1979 said:
    Farfetch said:
    Barny1979 said:

Ah another one of the runners allergic to the pavement. You are not a car, you should only be in the road where there is no pavement. Deliberately choosing to run in the road when there is a perfectly good footpath which is safe to use is lunacy
    In your opinion, as stated I only run on the road where there are little or no vehicles and run against the flow of traffic. It is also necessary to facilitate Social Distancing.