Walkers when you're out cycling & also filtering during busy traffic.

Replies

• Andy_LAndy_L Forumite
    12.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    gozaimasu said:
    I have a copy of the Highway Code on my passenger seat so that I can easily hold it up to other drivers who might pull out on me at a roundabout when they should give way to the right. Same for drivers who pull out onto my side of the road when the obstruction (usually parked car) is on their side of the road and they are on the ones that should give way. Less aggressive than giving them the middle finger. You can take bets on how long it will take me to get murdered by a road rage psycho with a hammer.

As a pedestrian on country roads I will walk facing traffic unless it's a dodgy bend, in which case I'll go to the opposite side of the road so that oncoming drivers can see me.

Can you get a hardback version these days? that would be more useful in hand-to-hand combat
  • edited 10 March 2021 at 8:47PM
    JustAnotherSaverJustAnotherSaver Forumite
    6.7K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    edited 10 March 2021 at 8:47PM
    As a follow on from the above, the dash cam compilation video I saw this morning made me think of this thread:

Very first clip in the video.

Why did it remind me of this thread when it's a motorcycle and not a bicycle? Well because people like to act all clever until they do it with the wrong person. That motorcyclist met the wrong person that day.

Acting clever is all fine and you get away with it ... until it's not and you don't.

• edited 11 March 2021 at 4:21PM
    Manxman_in_exileManxman_in_exile Forumite
    7.2K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 11 March 2021 at 4:21PM
    Farfetch said:
    Barny1979 said:
    As said, a tarmac road, rather than a footway is easier and more comfortable to run on. Ultimately the road is fro traffic, both vehicular and pedestrian.

A bike lane has 100kg+ bikes coming at 15mph+
    A road has 2 tonne cars doing 20-30mph+
    If you'd rather run on the road, rather than the footpath/footway where you belong, more fool you if you get hit. Stay on the pavement

Farfetch said:
    Barny1979 said:
    Farfetch said:
    Barny1979 said:
    As said, a tarmac road, rather than a footway is easier and more comfortable to run on. Ultimately the road is fro traffic, both vehicular and pedestrian.

If you'd rather run on the road, rather than the footpath/footway where you belong, more fool you if you get hit. Stay on the pavement
    I run on the road where it is safe and appropriate, wouldn't do it on a heavily trafficked road.
    Ah another one of the runners allergic to the pavement. You are not a car, you should only be in the road where there is no pavement. Deliberately choosing to run in the road when there is a perfectly good footpath which is safe to use is lunacy

Why?  So long as you do it properly and appropriately* and face into oncoming traffic it's no more dangerous than riding a bicycle on the road.  (In fact I'd argue it's safer because on a bike you don't have any prior warning of the car about to slam into the back of you... )

And as Barny1979 has pointed out, social distancing currently makes it necessary.

*"Appropriately" means what it says.  I frequently run on the right-hand side of the road facing traffic even where there is a pavement because the camber is easier on my right knee.  But on a really busy road or when traffic approaches me - and of course I can see it because I'm running towards it - I'll return to the pavement.  If you have had the misfortune of meeting runners who insist on running on the left-hand (ie "wrong") side of the road and refuse to get on the footpath when you approach from behind, then OK, I sympathise with you.  I did come across one the other afternoon in fading light with no hi-viz or reflective clothing on and I did consider running him over just to teach him a lesson... but I didn't.  Maybe I should have done...

• missilemissile Forumite
    11.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Farfetch said:
    missile said:
    Farfetch said:
    martindow said:
    OP, I'm not sure that your first point has much logic.  If pedestrians are facing the traffic as suggested in the Highway Code aren't they more likely to move a bit to let you pass than if you are coming up behind them when they are less likely to notice you?
    A great many pedestrians aren't aware of more than 6" in front of their nose, just yesterday I was out and 4 people were walking 4 abreast down a single file road and I almost had to come to a complete stop 3m or so away (rather than just slowing to a crawl) before they noticed and moved over - clear day, plenty of visibility etc

I find the issue more is that certain pedestrians (typically runners) are allergic to the pavement, such that they come out in hives if they go near it, so have to run in the road or in bike lanes for their own safety. Imagine how terrible it would be to live like that - step one foot to your left off the bike lane and onto the pavement and you risk death.
    Some cyclists are really ignorant. 
    I came round a bend on a twisty narrow road to find two parents(?) riding two abreast with a child cycling in front. When it was safe to overtake, I tooted my horn to let them know and got foul mouth abuse as I passed.

Beeping a horn at people just antagonises people, there was no reason for it. Just pass them wide or give them warning like "passing on your right".
    Also, were they really "cyclists"? Or just randoms on a bike with a kid on a bike. I rather suspect the latter who probably thought you were beeping at them out of impatience.
    Judging by their colourful language, I am sure they were antagonised. Their foul mouthed tirade set a great example for their child.
    As I said I had followed them and tooted to make them aware I was about to overtake. 

Rule 112 of the Highway Code is very clear on the purpose of vehicle horns, and states that they are only to be used in order to warn another road user of your presence.

"A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • edited 13 March 2021 at 4:06PM
    MACKEM99MACKEM99 Forumite
    430 Posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 13 March 2021 at 4:06PM
    Barny1979 said:
    Farfetch said:
    Barny1979 said:

I run on the road where it is safe and appropriate, wouldn't do it on a heavily trafficked road.
    Barney - what sort of running do you do as CEV person - not criticising just interested:

On another thread Barney 1979 wrote:

I'm 41 and was categorised as Clinically Extremely Vulnerable in December.
  • Barny1979Barny1979 Forumite
    7.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    MACKEM99 said:
    Barny1979 said:
    Farfetch said:
    Barny1979 said:

Barney - what sort of running do you do as CEV person - not criticising just interested:

On another thread Barney 1979 wrote:

I'm 41 and was categorised as Clinically Extremely Vulnerable in December.
    Do you mean in terms of distance?
  • MACKEM99MACKEM99 Forumite
    430 Posts
    Forumite
    Yes and or speed?

7.9K Posts
    MACKEM99 said:
    Yes and or speed?

Distances vary, done a couple of marathons, a half-marathon, numerous 10ks and parkrun most Saturdays pre-Covid pandemic. I'm slow, but I eventually get there. I'm CEV due to having had half my lung removed as a child.
  • MACKEM99MACKEM99 Forumite
    430 Posts
    Forumite
    Barny1979 said:
    MACKEM99 said:
    Yes and or speed?

Distances vary, done a couple of marathons, a half-marathon, numerous 10ks and parkrun most Saturdays pre-Covid pandemic. I'm slow, but I eventually get there. I'm CEV due to having had half my lung removed as a child.
    Wow nice one - you put others to shame.
    Im 63 and normally do around 4 mile in 31 mins.
    7.9K Posts
    Much faster than me :)