Which energy companies are not pushing smart meters?

1235»

Comments

• mafield
    mafield Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Tokmon said:
    You do not have to have to have a smart meter they are not compulsory  
    Suppliers can offer you one but it's your right to refuse they cannot force you , but should your dumb meter fail if you want a dumb meter fitting you have to pay
    I can not see absolutely any benefit for me having one, this it will save you money is complete rubbish
    A fancy IHD will not save you anything and I would bet most find their way to the bottom of a cupboard or drawer in weeks

Smart meters are not for your benefit they are for the energy companies benefit so they can automatically get readings and generate accurate bills and also for the national grids benefit so they can eventually have better information about energy usage to generate electricity more efficiently in the future. 

They should have never made smart meters a customers choice because meter changes have never been a customers choice in the past.
    Totally disagree. If the client is providing monthly meter readings, has a good credit rating, then these should NOT be forced on people. Smart meters, by their very nature of transmitting and receiving data can be hacked. Imagine is someone hacked a million households and turned of their supply?
    The National Grid already knows when peak demands are, they have over 100 years of watching dials to work that out, without one persons smart meter telling them. It is bully-boy tactics, discrimination, and in fact blackmail, to insist that a smart meter is fitted, to enjoy a slightly cheaper tariff.

• PennineAcute
    PennineAcute Posts: 1,160 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    mafield said:
    Tokmon said:
    Suppliers can offer you one but it's your right to refuse they cannot force you , but should your dumb meter fail if you want a dumb meter fitting you have to pay
    I can not see absolutely any benefit for me having one, this it will save you money is complete rubbish
    A fancy IHD will not save you anything and I would bet most find their way to the bottom of a cupboard or drawer in weeks

Smart meters are not for your benefit they are for the energy companies benefit so they can automatically get readings and generate accurate bills and also for the national grids benefit so they can eventually have better information about energy usage to generate electricity more efficiently in the future. 

They should have never made smart meters a customers choice because meter changes have never been a customers choice in the past.
    Totally disagree. If the client is providing monthly meter readings, has a good credit rating, then these should NOT be forced on people. Smart meters, by their very nature of transmitting and receiving data can be hacked. Imagine is someone hacked a million households and turned of their supply?
    The National Grid already knows when peak demands are, they have over 100 years of watching dials to work that out, without one persons smart meter telling them. It is bully-boy tactics, discrimination, and in fact blackmail, to insist that a smart meter is fitted, to enjoy a slightly cheaper tariff.

:)

Slightly cheaper tariff.  I would not count paying approx 40% less than SVT a slightly cheaper tariff.
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    mafield said:
    Tokmon said:

It’s entirely irrelevant now anyway, because now, as and when you existing old style meter requires replacement, it will be replaced with a SMETS2 meter as standard - that is simply what is available now. 
    Smart meter installations have nothing to do with a customer’s credit worthiness either - the fact that they can be used to manage a situation where debt is accruing is incidental really. 
    There is also no discrimination in play here - the opposite in fact, as the roll out is pretty much universal. 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • MWT
    MWT Posts: 9,248 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I guess this is all now Bread and Butter to all smart meter owners who are now coining in the Bread with their TOU Sliced up 30 min smart tariffs. 

Meanwhile keeping Toasty for less.
    ... and greatly enjoying the DFS events which are only available to those with a smart meter.
    Very happy to use my battery storage to support the grid and get paid for participating...

• Qyburn
    Qyburn Posts: 2,291 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    mafield said:
     a smart meter is fitted, to enjoy a slightly cheaper tariff.
    That's good enough for me, thanks.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure