Which energy companies are not pushing smart meters?

Comments

• So many people post here about suppliers billing on estimated instead of using actual readings because they never provided them with any... Having a smart meter means that you shouldn't have to provide your supplier with meter readings, saving you time and hassle while also meaning you don't get into a big debt/credit with them.

It also opens up more tariffs to go on and gives you opportunities for trials and bonus energy (Octopus Energy free energy on Christmas day)

If you already know that using electricity costs money then no, it shouldn't save you money in that case. I don't believe there are any negative effects from having a smart meter installed so I don't really see why people are opposed to them when it doesn't cost them anything.
  • Exile28
    Exile28 Posts: 63 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 3 February 2021 at 2:52PM
    Dolor said:
    Exile28 said:
    I can confirm https://green.energy/ are not at present but as most have said the smaller suppliers do not seem to be pushing them at this time.
    Green Energy would seem to have different view:

https://green.energy/news/smart-meter-rollout
    Where does it say you have to have one? Register your interest is not the same as pushing them. I've joined recently and do not need to have a smart meter installed. Some of the bigger suppliers will not put you on their best tariff without a smart meter and that's not the case here
  • pearl123
    pearl123 Posts: 2,053 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Dolor said:
    Can I ask why you are saying ‘I don’t want one at this time’?
    I have asthma and under the present circumstances I don't want contact. I'm not placed in the high shielding group. From the replies it seems that it's just the smaller providers, who don't insist upon smart meters. Unfortunately, the smaller firms seem to be more prone to going bust.  
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,936 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 3 February 2021 at 3:48PM
    You do not have to have to have a smart meter they are not compulsory 
    Unfortunately Ofgem seem unilaterally to have torn up all the promises made by various Secretaries of State that smart meters were not compulsory.
    They used to say this:-

But now it's suddenly become a lot harsher:-

It seems that push has become shove.  Presumably all objections will be instantly dismissed as 'not good reasons'. 
  • bristolleedsfan
    bristolleedsfan Posts: 12,080 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 3 February 2021 at 4:19PM
    Octopus are not pushing Smart Meters to people who have not expressed an interest in a S.M, they have more customers wanting S/M than they can physiclally install, same was the case before Covid 19
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    None of the companies I used pushed them, anyway just say no.
  • Gerry1
    Neon Reef are not pushing smart meters. 
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,505 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Haven't had any comms. from my existing suppliers (Gulf & Green.) and the ones I'm switching to ,haven't suggested that I need one (Neon Reef & Zog)

• If you already know that using electricity costs money then no, it shouldn't save you money in that case. I don't believe there are any negative effects from having a smart meter installed so I don't really see why people are opposed to them when it doesn't cost them anything.
    It costs every customer this smart meter roll out for no benefit other than auto meter reads,.
    So are you saying because you have a smart meter you will save energy by looking at the IHD, ........leave it out if your the type who does not give meter readings monthly I really can't see you watching a IHD  and forgoing boiling the kettle lol, as I said most of them IHD are at the back of a drawer or cupboard in a few weeks
    I and many others on here give meter readings every month so no benefit at all 
    What next will these smart meters be able to do............
  • Gerry1

If you already know that using electricity costs money then no, it shouldn't save you money in that case. I don't believe there are any negative effects from having a smart meter installed so I don't really see why people are opposed to them when it doesn't cost them anything.
    What next will these smart meters be able to do............
    • Time of Use Tariffs: Rip-off prices between 4pm - 8pm or whatever.
    • Load Limiting: Rationed to just a few kW when supply exceeds demand.
    • Load Shedding: Remote disconnection applied if the above haven't reduced demand sufficiently.
    Not a conspiracy theory, it's all in the smart meter specification. They've just forgotten to tell you.  Gotcha !
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback