Money Moral Dilemma: Should I give my friend the cash I made selling her unwanted clutter?

Options

Comments

• kellogs
    kellogs Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Personally I would give them the £30 as it would probably help them more than me buying a few bottles of wine!  If they were a 'token friend' who takes advantage of me then I would happily spend the money and toast them with my expensive bottle of red.
    Up the Magpies!
  • Glads
    Options
    Your friend couldn't be bothered to do what you did. If your conscience doesn't let you keep the money, give it to charity and tell your friend what you did.
  • Sungold8
    Options
    Good comment from glads. Give it to charity.
  • bayness
    Options
    There is a question of ownership.  She did not give the items to you,  she asked you to take them to the dump, which you have not done.  The goods where not yours to sell, unless the friend passed ownership to you which according to your message she didn't do.  As the goods remained her property then the money you got for them belongs to her.
  • bayness
    Options
    As an add on, this article on the BBC website may help, I can't post links yet, so search for the heading will give you the story

BBC News - Who, What, Why: Is taking rubbish illegal? 

• denem
    denem Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Tell her what you got for it and if it cost you anything to sell offer her the balance. It's not worth losing a friend over 30 quid.
    She may even tell you to keep the lot for your trouble.
  • mrpunk50
    Options
    Nice to see the usual  mixture of self-righteous moralisers and experts in property law.  :D 
    I would probably offer them half the money, but who really cares either way? Well done for saving a couple of items from the tip!
  • Milie
    Milie Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It’s an odd time for the tip; where I am you have to book. My priority would have been to avoid taking anything there; unless by “taking to the tip” you mean the recycling bins. Not sure that advertising on Freecycle or for free pick up on Gumtree is currently responsible  but you need to try to keep the stuff out of landfill.
  • Jillywhizz
    Options
    I’d split it. You’re both better off and you’ve done her a good turn. Win win!!
  • REJP
    REJP Posts: 325 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Did she pay for fuel and use of car to the tip?  No?  Keep the money.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback