Money Moral Dilemma: Should I give my friend the cash I made selling her unwanted clutter?

edited 2 February at 6:44PM in Marriage, Relationships & Families
52 replies 35.9K views
MSE_KelvinMSE_Kelvin MSE Staff
196 Posts
Fourth Anniversary 10 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
MSE Staff
This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

I've been helping a friend declutter her house, and took a car load of stuff to the tip. There were some items I suggested she could get cash for if she put them up for sale, but she said she couldn't be bothered. I hate waste, so took two of the items home and, with a bit of effort, sold them online, making about £30. Should I give her the money, offer to split it with her or keep it?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be a point of debate and discussed at face value.

B)  If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
:/  Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? Suggest an MMD.

Replies

• tacpot12tacpot12 Forumite
    5.9K Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would offer them half, with the other half being mine for the work I had done to make the money for both of us. This seems fair. 
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • MalMonroeMalMonroe Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    If it were one of my friends, I would give her the whole amount. Wouldn't even have to think about it. I have some lovely friends and I know they'd do the same for me. They'd probably suggest putting it towards a meal out (when coronavirus has gone!) together or something. 

This isn't even a dilemma. I couldn't just keep the money without saying anything anyway.
    My opinions are strictly my own. The forum advises everyone to double-check all information given by any forumite to ensure accuracy. Once commented, I rarely return to a thread, as per this "the moving finger writes and, having writ, moves on" (origin Omar Khayyam). I aspire to the (corny but true) saying - in a world where you can be anything, please be kind.
  • MalMonroeMalMonroe Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    tacpot12 said:
    I would offer them half, with the other half being mine for the work I had done to make the money for both of us. This seems fair. 
    That seems mean. It's only £30 and if it were my friend, they could have it all - whether I'd done any work or not. 
    My opinions are strictly my own. The forum advises everyone to double-check all information given by any forumite to ensure accuracy. Once commented, I rarely return to a thread, as per this "the moving finger writes and, having writ, moves on" (origin Omar Khayyam). I aspire to the (corny but true) saying - in a world where you can be anything, please be kind.
  • tripledtripled Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I assume the OP and the friend are bubbled - or live on the Isle of Man. The OP could offer to split it with her, or perhaps have a evening together sharing a takeaway with the proceeds? Not much else to do at the moment!
  • A_LertA_Lert Forumite
    560 Posts
    500 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Depends on what the friend's like. If they're reasonable, give half, I think that's fair. But if they're known to be grabby, keep quiet; an offer of half will prompt a greedy drama-causer to demand it all.
  • VicxieVicxie Forumite
    69 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    My brother recently gave me his old phone since he got an upgrade. I realised i had no need for the phone and looked up how much it would sell for. Then i took the phone back to my brother and told him i didn't need the phone and he could make money off it instead. I listed it for him and sent him listing details and he took the details and listed the item too. He eventually found a buyer and kept 100% of his money, no sharing and never expected a penny. But in this situation, your friend consented to you taking the stuff AFTER you had suggested she sell it, whatever it was was now yours and you sold it. That's your money. If you offered to sell it for her, that would be different but she gave it to you because she couldn't be bothered with it. I would not expect my friend to give me the money to an item i wanted to throw away but she sold instead.