Three 321 SIM charges increase 200% to 500% from 16 Feb 2021

Options

Comments

• navilite
    Options
    jon81uk said:
    navilite said:
    Just discovered Three implemented this early (it's not supposed to happen until 16 Feb 2021). I decided to donate the bulk of my remaining credit to charity by SMS and expected to be charged my donation plus two standard rate texts (that should be 2p each on 321). Instead, I was charged my donation plus 20p, so 10p a text.  My wife did exactly the same and was also charged 10p a text, so I doubt we're alone.
    Texts to SMS shortcodes (81234 sort of numbers) are excluded from the 2p a text rates on the old tariff anyway.

The price guide doesn't state what they should cost, just that it varies "SMS Short codes are classed as a Premium Rate Service. The cost varies, depending on the promoter’s terms and conditions, which should always be checked to find out the exact cost, as this will vary with the promoter and service."

No idea why you wouldn't just spend down the credit at the new rates instead of giving it away, makes no sense to me.
    Even though it's was a short code I used to donate, it states on the charity website it should have been at my standard network rate. Three are, however, claiming it's premium rate, so it seems they haven't implemented the price rise early but either they're overcharging or the charities are being misleading by claiming they're text messages at my standard rate.

As to your last comment, for me it makes more sense to donate the money to a charity I support anyway when the rates are going up to a minimum 5 times the rate I'll be on when I switch to 1pmobile. That way, the charity benefits to the full value of the credit I donated, but it effectively only costs me a fifth of the donation amount (plus the two texts). I'm happier that a charity benefits from it than Three.
  • droopsnoot
    droopsnoot Posts: 1,760 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 February 2021 at 11:05AM
    Options
    navilite said:
    Even though it's was a short code I used to donate, it states on the charity website it should have been at my standard network rate. 
    I suspect that means "the standard rate that your network charges for calls to this type of number", not "the rate your network charges for standard text messages".
  • navilite
    Options
    I suspect that means "the standard rate that your network charges for calls to this type of number", not "the rate your network charges for standard text messages".
    Yeah, you may well be right, but IMO it should be written as "your network's standard rate" if that's the case, not "your standard network rate" as my standard network rate for SMS is 2p.
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    navilite said:
    Yeah, you may well be right, but IMO it should be written as "your network's standard rate" if that's the case, not "your standard network rate" as my standard network rate for SMS is 2p.
    droopsnoot is right, and the standard rate for these so-called standard rate texts seems to be either 10 or 12 pence, and never free by inclusion in any bundle.
  • alanjones60
    Options
    Sent a text and made a call on my data reward sim,and it is still 1p a mb,2p a text and 3p a min calls. So nothing changes on this sim
  • VXman
    VXman Posts: 522 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Damn, Damn, Damn, - just made a call to HMRC. 30 mins on hold for a 1 min conversation and it cost me £3.10. Should have rang yesterday!!!!
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    My regular SIM has updated charges on the app.
  • wakeupalarm
    wakeupalarm Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Topup line recorded announcement still stating 3-2-1p rates
  • phs12
    phs12 Posts: 30 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 23 February 2021 at 11:10AM
    Options
    Just made a 2min 23secs call using a Data Reward Sim and can confirm I was charged 9p i.e. 3p/min.

Would be good to hear from anyone that has topped up a Data Reward Card since 16th Feb to see if they are still being charged 3/2/1p.
  • Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 5,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    phs12 said:
    Just made a 2min 23secs call using a Data Reward Sim and can confirm I was charged 9p i.e. 3p/min.

Would be good to hear from anyone that has topped up a Data Reward Card since 16th Feb to see if they are still being charged 3/2/1p.
    I sent a text today from my data reward sim today and it deducted 4pm from my balance.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback