Covid crash #2 started

Options
FTSE100 (just as an example) now quickly falling, following a period of slowly falling.
Why didn't I follow my gut feeling a week ago and put my pension funds back into cash?  Probably too late now to miss all of the fall?

Comments

• Cus
    Cus Posts: 561 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    It's not too late, go on, sell it all.  
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,164 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Why base your investment decisions on the FTSE100 - are you highly invested in the FTSE100? Look at the FTSE World Index: it has risen over the past 3 months.  Even the FTSE100 with income reinvested is only down about 5.5% in that time period.  Selling and later rebuying every time you see those sorts of changes is a good way to achieve low returns.

I think the current uncertainty in the markets is more to do with the US election than COVID.  Investors, particularly US investors, may well be holding off buying for a few days until the results are known.
  • Bravepants
    Bravepants Posts: 1,503 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 28 October 2020 at 10:10AM
    Options
    If you look at the FTSE 100 index over the last 3 months, the trend is downward. But my Vanguard funds have been trending up over the same time period. FTSE 100 is a very rough/poor indicator of the global situation.
    Anyway, someone else will be along in a minute to tell us all about how their cat has been rushed to kitty hospital.
    If you want to be rich, live like you're poor; if you want to be poor, live like you're rich.
  • ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,721 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you look at the FTSE 100 index over the last 3 months, the trend is downward. But my Vanguard funds have been trending up over the same time period. FTSE 100 is a very rough/poor indicator of the global situation.
    Anyway, someone else will be along in a minute to tell us all about how their cat has been rushed to kitty hospital.
    Yes my funds have been trending up since I went back from cash to funds in April and have done well,  but they are over the last week on a downward trend as as the FTSE100 fall steepens, that fall in the funds is also going to steepen.

• csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 28 October 2020 at 10:24AM
    Options
    timing the market is crystal ball time at best, there was a mini dip in Sep and earlier this month. I stopped trying to time the market, not worth the bother or stress. Put it all in an index tracker and let it grow over the years will make more money in the long run

Having said that, I'm going put some money in some of the fallers, fill your boots
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,164 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    ProDave said:
    Yes my funds have been trending up since I went back from cash to funds in April and have done well,  but they are over the last week on a downward trend as as the FTSE100 fall steepens, that fall in the funds is also going to steepen.

A week isnt a trend.
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 28 October 2020 at 10:48AM
    Options
    To be fair it's not just the UK market looking bad today but it doesn't bother me as investments going up and down is completely expected and it just means we should be getting better prices so more units for our end of month contributions. As a keen unit volume collector that's great.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 28 October 2020 at 11:04AM
    Options
    Probably some profit taking going on. There's been some sizable gains in certain stocks since earlier in the year. Also a reality check that recovery isn't baked in as many investors seem to to have assumed over the summer. Change of season changes the mood. 
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    edited 28 October 2020 at 11:05AM
    Options
    I may takes some cash out of some non-equity positions ahead of next Tuesday's elections to be able to have a go 'timing the markets' this time next week if the election has a clear winner at that point. Though with postal ballots to be counted it could take a while.  I remember the Bush/ Gore Florida recounts 20 years back taking a month to resolve (was waiting for some bets to pay out), so it may not be plain sailing if the exit polling isn't conclusive and it takes a while to open and count all the mail while wearing PPE.
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Though with postal ballots to be counted it could take a while.
    Especially with so many postal voters expected to change their vote in favour of Trump....

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback