Forum Update re Changes

edited 17 June at 4:24AM in Compers Chat Corner
51 replies 4K views
1235

Replies

  • BluluBlulu Forumite
    7.2K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I use a mixed method of checking where I'm up to on threads like that. I run a comping document where I note anything useful that's related to comping. At the top I always note the date/time of where I got up to on the main board, and I do the same thing on the Take a Break thread and one or two others. But when I'm not sure, or forget to update it, I do what janE1956 said. I click compliment. If the number goes down one, I know I've already done with that post. Sometimes it takes a bit of trial and error to reach the right post to start from.

    It was a lot easier before they changed the forum settings, but you lot know I don't like to moan about it :)

    Blu XXX
    Anyone else miss the chat in Compers Chat Corner? How about we try to bring it back?

    {{{{{ Imagine ALL the people sharing ALL the world }}}}}
  • BluluBlulu Forumite
    7.2K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Anyone else miss the chat in Compers Chat Corner? How about we try to bring it back?

    {{{{{ Imagine ALL the people sharing ALL the world }}}}}
  • BluluBlulu Forumite
    7.2K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi, I would be grateful for an update on how the improvements are progressing. It's still a major problem for me and others wanting to post competitions, but struggling to search to see if they're already posted.

    Thank you

    Blu XXX
    Anyone else miss the chat in Compers Chat Corner? How about we try to bring it back?

    {{{{{ Imagine ALL the people sharing ALL the world }}}}}
  • edited 13 October at 6:26AM
    cornishpasty1cornishpasty1 Forumite
    27.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 13 October at 6:26AM
    Blulu said:
    Hi, I would be grateful for an update on how the improvements are progressing. It's still a major problem for me and others wanting to post competitions, but struggling to search to see if they're already posted.

    Thank you

    Blu XXX

    @Blulu have you tried One-Eye's search sequence here? 
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/comment/78616641/#Comment_78616641

    If you follow this through and then save it (bookmark), you should be able to go straight there next time and just change the search field.  Very important to put the speak marks "at beginning of search, and at the end" 

    At least that is getting me through at the moment until MSE sort it out properly GL
    #StaySafe
    When searching at the moment, put speech marks at beginning and end of URL and that seems to filter better,
    thanks to @pate-ci0
    It appears the search facility doesn't pick up URL hidden in the CLICKY link thing, so please post comps using the full URL not hidden in the CLICKY. MSE may eventually sort it out, but for now this might help us all.

    For successful search, follow @One-Eye's directions here (until MSE finally sort it out) IT WORKS! https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/comment/78616641/#Comment_78616641
  • BluluBlulu Forumite
    7.2K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Cornish. I admit, I did try it once and it worked (thanks One-Eye too). I did mean to try again and bookmark it, as I remember you saying you'd done. But I couldn't face it. I struggle to follow complicated stuff, even when laid out step-by-step, as One-Eye had kindly done. But I think you are right, I will work through it again and bookmark it, as you suggest. I hate finding a comp to post, then letting it go, crossing my fingers that someone else will post/has posted it - which happened again this morning. It's such a shame, because I know that others feel similarly and don't post comps that they otherwise would.

    MSE, when you have a chance, it would be really helpful to have another update sometime, perhaps with another estimate as to when you think the search system will be sorted, assuming that what it is now isn't the final version - fingers crossed that it isn't. I do appreciate that you probably have one or two  ( ;) )  other things to occupy your time, other than our little comping corner, so please don't take this as a nag, it's just a little frustrating not having a clue how long we might have to wait for it to be fixed.

    Blu XXX
    Anyone else miss the chat in Compers Chat Corner? How about we try to bring it back?

    {{{{{ Imagine ALL the people sharing ALL the world }}}}}
  • cornishpasty1cornishpasty1 Forumite
    27.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blulu said:
    Thanks Cornish. I admit, I did try it once and it worked (thanks One-Eye too). I did mean to try again and bookmark it, as I remember you saying you'd done. But I couldn't face it. I struggle to follow complicated stuff, even when laid out step-by-step, as One-Eye had kindly done. But I think you are right, I will work through it again and bookmark it, as you suggest. I hate finding a comp to post, then letting it go, crossing my fingers that someone else will post/has posted it - which happened again this morning. It's such a shame, because I know that others feel similarly and don't post comps that they otherwise would.


    Blu XXX

    @Blulu honestly, if you're thinking of sticking around here for the Advents you MUST take your time and do it, save it, and you can search much more efficiently.  

    I put in the search bar "(MD)" and followed @One-Eye's post and can search successfully now (I think), then it's easy to just take out the (MD) and replace with whatever the search is (but you can use whatever you want to save).

    We have been waiting much much to long for this to be sorted out @mse!!!!
    #StaySafe
    When searching at the moment, put speech marks at beginning and end of URL and that seems to filter better,
    thanks to @pate-ci0
    It appears the search facility doesn't pick up URL hidden in the CLICKY link thing, so please post comps using the full URL not hidden in the CLICKY. MSE may eventually sort it out, but for now this might help us all.

    For successful search, follow @One-Eye's directions here (until MSE finally sort it out) IT WORKS! https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/comment/78616641/#Comment_78616641
  • BluluBlulu Forumite
    7.2K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Blulu honestly, if you're thinking of sticking around here for the Advents you MUST take your time and do it, save it, and you can search much more efficiently.  

    I put in the search bar "(MD)" and followed @One-Eye's post and can search successfully now (I think), then it's easy to just take out the (MD) and replace with whatever the search is (but you can use whatever you want to save).

    We have been waiting much much to long for this to be sorted out @mse!!!!
    AAAAAHHH! You mentioned the 'A' word! Am putting my fingers in my ears and humming loudly... :*

    But you are right and I will try it. It's crazy to be scared to post new comps, just in case they're not. Brill idea re putting a saved code word in brackets, to replace with search terms. Once I've worked through it and bookmarked it, I'm sure I'll feel better about using it. Thanks again Cornish.

    And agree re mse. The problem is that even if technophobes like me learn how to get around the search issues, it will still leave others who won't, or who don't see the posts on how to do that. The comp board is nowhere near as good as it used to be, and I'm sure that the search probs are the main reason. Sigh!

    Blu XXX
    Anyone else miss the chat in Compers Chat Corner? How about we try to bring it back?

    {{{{{ Imagine ALL the people sharing ALL the world }}}}}
  • BluluBlulu Forumite
    7.2K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    @cornishpasty1 You utter, utter, utter and total star. It worked like a dream. I know I say this a lot but thank you sooooo much, and also @One-Eye too. I have bookmarked your "MD link and copied it to my comping document too. The timing was brill as well. I was just trying to nag myself into trying to work through it again (I tried last night but gave up - too many other things going on to concentrate) and now I don't have to.

    It's brill to think I can actually check now for dupes and maybe even post a few more comps.

    8 Powerful Ways to Lead From the Heart  Inccom

    Blu XXX
    Anyone else miss the chat in Compers Chat Corner? How about we try to bring it back?

    {{{{{ Imagine ALL the people sharing ALL the world }}}}}
  • marialionzamarialionza Forumite
    6.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Blulu said:
    @cornishpasty1 You utter, utter, utter and total star. It worked like a dream. I know I say this a lot but thank you sooooo much, and also @One-Eye too. I have bookmarked your "MD link and copied it to my comping document too. The timing was brill as well. I was just trying to nag myself into trying to work through it again (I tried last night but gave up - too many other things going on to concentrate) and now I don't have to.

    It's brill to think I can actually check now for dupes and maybe even post a few more comps.

    8 Powerful Ways to Lead From the Heart  Inccom

    Blu XXX

    Totally second the motion that @cornishpasty1 = a proper star !
    Thanks to those who help us to win !
    <3
Sign In or Register to comment.
LATEST NEWS AND GUIDES