Forum Home» Motoring

Missing locking wheel nut from new car - Page 4

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Missing locking wheel nut from new car

44 replies 1.6K views

Replies

• Grumpy_chapGrumpy_chap Forumite
    4.3K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Some people find the easiest solution is to just change the car before first service is due or the tyres have the mileage covered to wear.  That only leaves the possibility of a puncture as time when the wheel nut key is required, so it becomes a very rare event.
  • sweetsandsweetsand Forumite
    1.8K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    neilmcl said:
    sweetsand said:
    neilmcl said:
    sweetsand said:
    For the cost of a locking wheelnut key, it is not worth spending any more time wondering about it.  Just buy the new key bolt.
    Hi
    Perhaps they need to have removed the existing nuts and that will cost money. Please see my earlier post where I suggested the OP seeks a cost price set of new bolts.
    HTH

Maybe you should take note of my earlier posts where I've stated that in most cases a trip to the main dealer will result in a replacement key without any need for removing and replacing all the bolts.
    Hi
    Perhaps you could direct me to to the OP car marque dealer where they can provide a wheel lock nt key without the orginal being present or the box as IMO that is not possible. I am aware of car keys via serial number but never wheel locks.

Uusally, lock is drilled off and new set of locks/nuts fitted.

Many thanks

ATB
    I know for a fact that my local BMW dealer will do exactly that, and for a very minimal cost, in fact I'm aware from others that they've managed to get free replacement wheel nut keys from their own local dealer. I'm surprised you don't know this given all the high-end car marques you keep telling us you own.
    Perhaps we have been lucky as never needed a missing wheel locknut key.
    Thanks for complimenting our cars.  
    FYI, and IMHO, "high end cars" are Rollers, Ferrari, Bentley and Bugatti as it's all about ones perception
    of "high end cars.".
    ATB

:)
  • ontheroad1970ontheroad1970 Forumite
    239 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Oooof! smells of new money here...
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
    1.8K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    neilmcl said:
    sweetsand said:
    neilmcl said:
    sweetsand said:
    neilmcl said:
    sweetsand said:
    For the cost of a locking wheelnut key, it is not worth spending any more time wondering about it.  Just buy the new key bolt.
    Hi
    Perhaps they need to have removed the existing nuts and that will cost money. Please see my earlier post where I suggested the OP seeks a cost price set of new bolts.
    HTH

Maybe you should take note of my earlier posts where I've stated that in most cases a trip to the main dealer will result in a replacement key without any need for removing and replacing all the bolts.
    Hi
    Perhaps you could direct me to to the OP car marque dealer where they can provide a wheel lock nt key without the orginal being present or the box as IMO that is not possible. I am aware of car keys via serial number but never wheel locks.

Many thanks

ATB
    I know for a fact that my local BMW dealer will do exactly that, and for a very minimal cost, in fact I'm aware from others that they've managed to get free replacement wheel nut keys from their own local dealer. I'm surprised you don't know this given all the high-end car marques you keep telling us you own.
    FYI, and IMHO, "high end cars" are Rollers, Ferrari, Bentley and Bugatti as it's all about ones perception
    of "high end cars.".
    ATB

So you admit you have no experience and therefore know nothing about it then yet you continue to doll out advice.

Can you take some friendly advice, please bear this in mind when offering such help on here in the future.
    Hi
    For sure one does not need personal experience to have the knowledge.
    Not everyone has "experience" of everything but have sufficient knowledge to comments on things.
    I've never played rugby, my OH does and I have good knowledge of that but possibly not as much
    as my OH but I am entitled to comment.
    ATB
    x
  • edited 3 October at 9:41PM
    George_MichaelGeorge_Michael Forumite
    4K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 3 October at 9:41PM
    sweetsand said:
    Hi
    Not everyone has "experience" of everything but have sufficient knowledge to comments on things.
    I've never played rugby, my OH does and I have good knowledge of that but possibly not as much
    ATB
    x
    But if you are not posting based on knowledge, you are only posting on 2nd hand knowledge or hearsay and when doing that, it's very easy to post incorrect information.
    That's why what you posted below is totally incorrect:
    sweetsand said:
    Hi

Many thanks

ATB
    How can you possibly state what usually happens if you don't actually have any experience of it happening?
    1.8K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    neilmcl said:
    sweetsand said:
    neilmcl said:
    sweetsand said:
    neilmcl said:
    sweetsand said:
    neilmcl said:
    sweetsand said:
    Hi
    HTH

Hi

Many thanks

ATB
    of "high end cars.".
    ATB

So you admit you have no experience and therefore know nothing about it then yet you continue to doll out advice.

Can you take some friendly advice, please bear this in mind when offering such help on here in the future.
    Hi
    ATB
    x
    Of course you're entitled to comment but making comment and giving advice based on your knowledge are two different things.
    I know that but what do you mean by "two different things"?