Missing locking wheel nut from new car

Hi,
2 years ago my partner bought a car new from a garage. At a recent service there was an issue with one of the tyres and we realised that the locking wheel nut was not in the car. We searched the car, couldn't find it, and there was a space in the polystyrene in the spare wheel bay where according to the manual it should have been found. So, as this is the first time it had been needed, I can only assume it was not provided when we bought the car. I phoned up the garage where the car was bought today, and they are saying that even though the car is still under warranty, it is too late, and they will not replace it themselves - we must have lost the wheel nut ourselves.
Are they right?

Comments

• Flight3287462
    Flight3287462 Posts: 1,195
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Yes          .
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,180
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Whether they're right or wrong, they're in a much stronger position than you, and it's not worth fighting over. Just buy a new one.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189
    Forumite
    edited 2 October 2020 at 4:59PM
    Two years...?!?

Surely this isn't the first time the car's been serviced since it was delivered to you brand new...?

I presume from your wording that the garage who supplied the car are not the one who were servicing it now?
  • sweetsand
    sweetsand Posts: 1,826
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 2 October 2020 at 4:46PM
    Dear OP
    It can easily happen as often one does not check down to the locking wheelnut.
    Sadly, the garage has a point as some others may not be as honest as you.
    What you could do is buy at cost a locking wheelnut from them or a set of new locking nut
    and taking off the existing.
    One of our relatives years ago bought a brand new car and only noted the window was not working when they tried to sell the car a year and a half later so it happens as they never had anyone in the back needed to open the rear window

HTH
  • facade
    facade Posts: 6,965
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I've had 2 new cars with fitted locking wheelnuts. Both times I've been given the key adaptor with the spare ignition key and bumpf for the car, then I've put them in the space in the boot kit myself.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • sweetsand
    sweetsand Posts: 1,826
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    facade said:
    I've had 2 new cars with fitted locking wheelnuts. Both times I've been given the key adaptor with the spare ignition key and bumpf for the car, then I've put them in the space in the boot kit myself.
    From what I can recall, the locking nut keys come in a platic box with a few other odds and ends and usually presented withcar manual etc and my OH leaves next to spare wheel or the inflater
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,740
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    For the cost of a locking wheelnut key, it is not worth spending any more time wondering about it.  Just buy the new key bolt.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460
    Forumite
    edited 2 October 2020 at 5:46PM
    AdrianC said:
    Two years...?!?

Surely this isn't the first time the car's been serviced since it was delivered to you brand new...?

I presume from your wording that the garage who supplied the car are not the one who were servicing it now?
    It isn't that unusual and besides unless it was a brake service there wouldn't be any need to remove the wheels.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,015
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Better still get the locking wheel nuts removed and standard wheel nuts instead. Far more MSE :)

The days of alloy wheels being stolen is long gone.
    Life in the slow lane
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460
    Forumite
    sweetsand said:
    For the cost of a locking wheelnut key, it is not worth spending any more time wondering about it.  Just buy the new key bolt.
    Please see my post where I have stated the OP to ask for a cost price locking nut set and don't forget, taking off the locked wheelnuts costs :) Lock nuts are there to secure wheels so will need someone with the know how how to remove.
    Thanks
    Replacement locking wheel keys that will work can easily be purchased, absolutely no need to have the existing locking nuts removed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback