Discussion re Petition

edited 2 October 2020 at 8:44AM in Compers Chat Corner
74 replies 3.7K views

Replies

• sbirks23sbirks23 Forumite
    698 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Seems it's time to finally make the move over to a new comping site. I've waited and hoped and the functionality just isn't there like it used to be :( Wishing everyone best of luck for their continued comping... I'll miss it here.
    GOOD LUCK EVERYONE! If helpful please thank me Won 5* holiday,£100,gym,BAFTA vip,£75,tan,soundbar,signed cookbook,tix,duplo,facewash,Bodyshop,Lindt,Prevage,Everiche,disney,dvd,supplements,perfume,Topshop makeup + other prizes :)
  • edited 26 April 2021 at 9:28AM
    RahvenRahven Forumite
    4.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 26 April 2021 at 9:28AM
    Search is not now repeating the same page of results but the results are still being presented in random order and it is not finding part of a url (i.e. a site name) as it used to. So still not really usable.
    I've had an email from the Forum team saying they believe the issue is now fixed, but I'm still getting the same behaviour you describe. Plus subcategories appears to be stuck on again (archive results as well as live ones). 

I have responded to the email with the detail above and linked this thread.
  • DidoowDidoow Forumite
    385 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    For ending today, I’m getting 300+ pages! It’s got worse, it wasn’t like that the past few days
  • DidoowDidoow Forumite
    385 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Hi @MSE_Ben_H I’m a bit confused, are these things happening recently due to works trying to change the system? Only I do only select Competition Times and type in “today” (I do use 1 year though as the next choice, 6 months, isn’t really long enough) - today I got nearly 400 pages of results whereas normally it would be about 10.
    When the site first changed, we could do things such as a date in one of the top boxes and something else, eg a time, a company, a prize, in the other which was much better
  • pate-ci0pate-ci0 Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    I've been in IT for 30 odd years and one of the first jobs I had was programming queries in C on an Ingres database. Searching and ordering results on database fields has been around ever since relational databases were invented and I really can't see what is causing such a mess unless MSE is using some really weird system. If the End Date field was made mandatory when posting a competition, it would be REALLY easy to order by end date; combining that with a text search on title and content you could then find any post that had any characters you were looking for. Add in other fields such as newest post, most posts and you can order in any way you like. What is meant by "Relevance" I am not sure but the date and text search options must be the place you start from. If that works, and subsequent additions break that working, you have done something wrong and immediately revert to the previous version of the program. You do NOT do any of this on the live system, you practice on an offline version until it does everything you want and nothing you don't want. I'm open to any reasonable offer over £1000/day to fix this for MSE........ B)
  • grannybikergrannybiker Forumite
    12.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This site has become impossible to post on due to a totally inadequate search system.
    It's no use using links, you have to go over the whole pages from when it may have been pasted (Yea, have tried excluding all the threads, closes comps etc. Does't work :/ ) No wonder less and less folk are posting comps :) 
    Worse things will have happened in the world today...
    "The only thing that really matters, it to love and to be loved."
  • cornishpasty1cornishpasty1 Forumite
    27.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This site has become impossible to post on due to a totally inadequate search system.
    It's no use using links, you have to go over the whole pages from when it may have been pasted (Yea, have tried excluding all the threads, closes comps etc. Does't work :/ ) No wonder less and less folk are posting comps :) 
    and still nothing is getting done  :s
    #StaySafe
    Wishing you a Merry Christmas and a happy, healthy New Year