News story: UK banks to shut thousands of British expats' accounts

Comments

• Live several days/ weeks ago. What to do is presumably move banks, job jobbed.
  • brianposter
    brianposter Posts: 1,291 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Looks like UK banks have not learnt the lesson of Aldi and Lidl.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Is this a news story? 
  • headers47
    headers47 Posts: 19 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Please correct your table of banks and their situation we already know that Barclays and Lloyd’s have served notice on thousands of account holders. I am led to believe that NatWest has withdrawn its offer of Bank account for non U.K. residents. How are we supposed to find out who will keep a bank account facility open? 
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,422 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Looks like UK banks have not learnt the lesson of Aldi and Lidl.
    Except that a shop does not have to have a licence to trade in another country.
    Life in the slow lane
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,010 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 1 October 2020 at 7:24PM
    headers47 said:
    Please correct your table of banks and their situation we already know that Barclays and Lloyd’s have served notice on thousands of account holders.
    Not sure that would be 'correcting' it - the table says that closure timescales vary by country for those banks and doesn't specify different dates for serving the advance notice, but with accounts closing from next month it's inevitable that some notice will have been given already for at least some.  Edit: sorry, that's just Lloyds I was looking at, Barclays is left non-committal, so as below, I'm sure they'd update if definitive info available.

headers47 said:
    I am led to believe that NatWest has withdrawn its offer of Bank account for non U.K. residents.
    If you have attributable authoritative sources for that then I'm sure the author of the piece would be happy to update it.

headers47 said:
    How are we supposed to find out who will keep a bank account facility open? 
    How can MSE or anyone else offer definitive guidance when banks are telling them that they haven't decided yet?  What are you proposing?
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    eskbanker said:
    How can MSE or anyone else offer definitive guidance when banks are telling them that they haven't decided yet?  What are you proposing?
    Perhaps MSE should not  be offering "...what to do if yours is being closed" in the headline if they don't actually know what people should do? As they don't even mention the stop-gap through Transferwise, their recommendation is really not up to the usual MSE standard. 

• Surely HSBC and Santander are fairly safe options currently.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,010 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    colsten said:
    eskbanker said:
    Perhaps MSE should not  be offering "...what to do if yours is being closed" in the headline if they don't actually know what people should do? As they don't even mention the stop-gap through Transferwise, their recommendation is really not up to the usual MSE standard. 
    My comment was specifically about headers47 castigating them for not knowing the definitive position of banks even when they haven't been declared, rather than trying to defend the whole piece, but to be fair they do make various suggestions of what to do, even if there is a better one omitted.  Wonder if they read the linked threads about such articles....
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback