Forum Home» Motoring

Returning Second Hand Cars

New Post Advanced Search

Returning Second Hand Cars

38 replies 1.2K views
Kaydian14Kaydian14 Forumite
14 posts
10 Posts
Can I return a second hand car on finance to the dealerships after having it for 12 weeks and experiencing engine fault from 6 weeks? 

Replies

• ontheroad1970ontheroad1970 Forumite
    111 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    No.  Not as simple as that.  After 30 days you have to give them a chance to fix it.
  • neilmclneilmcl Forumite
    16K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're asking whether you can return it for a full refund after 12 weeks then the answer is no. We need more details regarding the fault etc and what you've been doing to getting it rectified by the seller.

Outside if 30 days then you must allow the seller a chance to repair the vehicle, they can only have one attempt at this after which you can reject the car but the dealer is entitled to reduce any refund to take into account the usage you've had from the car. As the car is on finance then you'll need to speak to your finance provider.
  • Kaydian14Kaydian14 Forumite
    14 posts
    10 Posts
    Ok thanks when I mentioned the problem to the dealer I already went to the RAC garage which I have a premium warranty for and they couldn't exactly pinpoint the reason for it. So I called to the dealership he said that I should try another garage. Which I have now done and they charged me £81 3l engine oil and removing the light. Since then the car has gotten worse with two engine lights on one flashing another remaining.
  • ontheroad1970ontheroad1970 Forumite
    111 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    If you are expecting the dealer to cover any repair costs, then it is best to let them do it. or get approval from them in advance for getting it done elsewhere.  Otherwise they may say that the bill provided is higher than they could have got it done for, and refuse to pay back costs in full.
  • sweetsandsweetsand Forumite
    1.5K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Dear OP
    Sorry to hear about your car.
    If at all poss and this is to everyone, try and take it back to the garage purchased from.
    Give them a chance to sort it. If they can't, then demand a refund. 
    As you have had it nearly three months you wont get full refund unless the cars been off the road for a long period.
    They may offer a different car but then you have a right to refund.
    When you are ready to ask for refund, put it in writing as well and ensure they respond in writing.
    If you dont mind what car, how old, mileage etc, please if poss.
    HTH
    x
    14 posts
    10 Posts
    Peugeot 2008 1.2 puretech allure 2013
  • Grumpy_chapGrumpy_chap Forumite
    3.2K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    What is the nature of the fault that has been experienced?
    "engine fault" is very vague.
    14 posts
    10 Posts
    Orange engine light on and other flashing. Turn off the ignition and the engine or fan is still running. 
  • AdrianCAdrianC Forumite
    33.4K posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A bit more detail about which lights wouldn't go amiss... Have you checked for fault codes?
  • Grumpy_chapGrumpy_chap Forumite
    3.2K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    If the engine is warm, fan "run on" is not unusual.  How long until the fan stops?