Forum Home» In my home (includes DIY) MoneySaving

Money Moral Dilemma: Should I pay to replace the sink I damaged?

New Post Advanced Search

Money Moral Dilemma: Should I pay to replace the sink I damaged?

69 replies 35.2K views
MSE_KelvinMSE_Kelvin MSE Staff
142 posts
Third Anniversary 10 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
MSE Staff
This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

A friend was replacing their bathroom basin and, having recently done the same myself, I offered my (amateur) assistance. I successfully completed all the plumbing and so on, but when it came to fitting the basin, I dropped and chipped it. It'll cost £70 to replace, and while I'm sorry to have damaged it, I don't think it's right that I should be out of pocket for trying to help. Should I pay for it?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be a point of debate and discussed at face value. 

😲 If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

🙄 Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? Suggest an MMD.

Replies

• chriswchrisw Forumite
    2.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    You could always go 50/50.

• elsienelsien Forumite
    23.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pay for it then charge them for the plumbing work that you've carried out. Unless it springs a leak in which case deny all knowledge and cut off all contact.

Alternatively take the sensible option and talk to your friend about a compromise. That's the thing with these "dilemmas" - not enough context to be able to give any sort of meaningful suggestions. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • JGB1955JGB1955 Forumite
    979 posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    I'd pay...but never offer to help them again!  A friend of ours borrowed our lawn scarifier.....( or it might have been a wallpaper steamer, or a jet wash machine..or bread maker..or something else..... we share lots but stop at sharing spouses). They broke it, bought a new one, and gave us the replacement... guess that's a bit tricky to do with a washbasin!
    #36 Saving for Christmas 2020 - £1 a day challenge.... £503/366...
  • olgadapolgaolgadapolga Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭
    JGB1955 said:
    They broke it, bought a new one, and gave us the replacement... guess that's a bit tricky to do with a washbasin!
    I'm sure that washbasins are available to buy in the shops/online  :)

To the "OP" - you could always offer to fix it - have you seen this?

https://www.housebeautiful.com/home-remodeling/diy-projects/a27483568/diy-ramen-noodle-sink-repair-video/

Although it may be quicker and easier just to pay for the replacement.

• Barny1979Barny1979 Forumite
    6.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    To add, you proffered your help, not were asked, so your choice to help and put at risk any damage you caused.
    2013 - 313 AFDs, 2014 - 289 AFDs, 2015 - 321 AFDs, 2016 - 276 AFDs, 2017 - 276 AFDs, 2018 - 240 AFDs 2019 - 285 AFDs 2020 - 181 AFDs to end of August
    MFW Challenge 2019 - £1809/£1809, 2020 - £1799.49/£1750