Skipton Building Society

Options

Comments

• flossy_splodge
    Options
    I am interested that a couple of people on here sing the praises of Skipton as I found the application to be quite challenging. I phoned them for clarification which was NOT forthcoming!  Was I just unlucky?
    I'm another one that can't operate via an app and the rigmarole to circumvent this seems difficult. Now I accept I am old and trying to keep up with technology exercises my brain cells more than somewhat but why is it ok to effectively discriminate in favour of much younger brains!!
    I bank or invest with a LOT of other financial organisations and Skipton is the only one I have, most reluctantly, given up on.
    Without superior comments or nastiness can anyone tell me if there is a way round the additional steps required by Skipton so I can feel confident opening an account with them?  I'd really like to. :'(
  • Daliah
    Daliah Posts: 3,792 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    I am interested that a couple of people on here sing the praises of Skipton as I found the application to be quite challenging. I phoned them for clarification which was NOT forthcoming!  Was I just unlucky?
    I'm another one that can't operate via an app and the rigmarole to circumvent this seems difficult. Now I accept I am old and trying to keep up with technology exercises my brain cells more than somewhat but why is it ok to effectively discriminate in favour of much younger brains!!
    I bank or invest with a LOT of other financial organisations and Skipton is the only one I have, most reluctantly, given up on.
    Without superior comments or nastiness can anyone tell me if there is a way round the additional steps required by Skipton so I can feel confident opening an account with them?  I'd really like to. :'(
    What problems exactly did you encounter? I am also part of the older generation and do find Skipton really easy to use. 
  • milton1970
    Options
    I suspect that Skipton has seen a significant outflow of cash this week & not just from those that follow this forum. Real pity that they didn’t replace rate with a competitive one ..

Found them easy to deal with .. App is good & online service is easy to use (unlike Coventry BS) - only downside is the fact transactions were only processed on working days ( no weekends etc) versus Marcus & similar 
  • kaMelo
    kaMelo Posts: 2,419 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I suspect that Skipton has seen a significant outflow of cash this week & not just from those that follow this forum. Real pity that they didn’t replace rate with a competitive one ..

Found them easy to deal with .. App is good & online service is easy to use (unlike Coventry BS) - only downside is the fact transactions were only processed on working days ( no weekends etc) versus Marcus & similar 

I think you'll find that Marcus are the exception. Skipton are like most other savings providers in only processing payments in working hours.

As above, what problems did you encounter?  Without knowing it's impossible to answer.  
    My dearest in-laws don't do online but were able to open the members regular saver in branch, all very straightforward.  Is this an option you could use instead?
  • milton1970
    Options
    kaMelo said:

I think you'll find that Marcus are the exception. Skipton are like most other savings providers in only processing payments in working hours.

I disagree - Marcus are far from the exception. All banks plus many building societies (including Nationwide) manage to process payments on “non working days” .. even some smaller app based providers manage it !
  • Descrabled
    Options

My experience is that Halifax, BOS and Lloyds process on non working days; but they date credit on the next working day.
    The only bank that process at the weekend is HSBC and not for standing orders.
    Nationwide do not process standing orders at the weekend excepting transfers between own accounts.

The only bank that was truly 7 days was Tesco, now sadly closed.
  • kaMelo
    kaMelo Posts: 2,419 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    kaMelo said:

I disagree - Marcus are far from the exception. All banks plus many building societies (including Nationwide) manage to process payments on “non working days” .. even some smaller app based providers manage it !
    I specifically said savings account providers to exclude banks as they are big enough to process their own payments. Although a building society Nationwide operates like a bank.

What other building society or savings provider who are not a bank processes payments on a Sunday for example.

• milton1970
    Options
    kaMelo said
    I specifically said savings account providers to exclude banks as they are big enough to process their own payments. Although a building society Nationwide operates like a bank.

What nonsense - banks provide savings accounts as does Nationwide last time I looked … your point was a gross generalisation & incorrect .. 

I accept some smaller building societies may choose not to operate on “non working days” but it is certainly not “most other” savings providers

Accept the feedback 
  • soulsaver
    soulsaver Posts: 6,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Apparently not.
  • Daliah
    Daliah Posts: 3,792 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Skipton have noticed their error and corrected it by email this morning

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts