IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

The Draft Private Parking Code of Practice (PAS 232) now out for Consultation

Options

Comments

• Snakes_Belly
    Snakes_Belly Posts: 3,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    edited 5 September 2020 at 8:24AM
    Options
    "This will give courts more time to focus on family issues and issues surrounding children which have been increasing during lock down. These cases are heard by the same judges that hear the parking cases. These family cases should have precedent."

I have noticed when looking at Courtserve that there is an increasing number of non-molestation cases some requiring screens. This must be as a result of the increase in domestic violence during lock down. I would think that there has to be an usher or security present during these cases.  

Then there is likely to be increased evictions. All this is going to strain resources at the courts and some of the judges are restricted in how many days that they can be in court. They would surely be glad to see the back of the parking claims.    

Nolite te bast--des carborundorum.
  • Snakes_Belly
    edited 5 September 2020 at 8:33AM
    Options
    What do people think about VAT being included in the overall parking charge? Naturally want to see the motorist come out of this on top and pay less. Rishi has to get money from somewhere. Is this dangerous to suggest this? 

The suggested small payments are more of an admin fee.

• Castle
    Castle Posts: 4,219 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What do people think about VAT being included in the overall parking charge? Naturally want to see the motorist come out of this on top and pay less. Rishi has to get money from somewhere. Is this dangerous to suggest this? 

The suggested small payments are more of an admin fee.
    The easiest place to get some additional tax revenue is to charge, (and collect), the business rates which the PPC's should be paying.
  • D_P_Dance
    D_P_Dance Posts: 11,504 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    No, the easiest way to get revenue will be a tax on second homes.  However, imo, this is likely to lead to rent increases.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Snakes_Belly
    edited 5 September 2020 at 10:00AM
    Options
    D_P_Dance said:
    No, the easiest way to get revenue will be a tax on second homes.  However, imo, this is likely to lead to rent increases.
    They have already increased stamp duty considerably and reduced tax relief on loan interest. There is also the risk of a bad tenant. There is a point at which renting out property will no longer be viable and the market needs quality rental property. 

Not everyone rents because they can't afford to buy. Some people are on contract for a couple of years and then move on. 

• Snakes_Belly
    edited 5 September 2020 at 10:22AM
    Options
    "The easiest place to get some additional tax revenue is to charge, (and collect), the business rates which the PPC's should be paying."

Yes, when I was working on my case I could not find that the PPC was paying business rates and yet they were registered as leaseholders at the Land Registry. I assumed that this could have been because the rates were paid by the holder of the head lease.

Are they not paying business rates then? That is something that should be looked into. 

IMHO there are too many companies getting away without paying corporation tax by registering abroad. Any company should be taxed on profits from revenue earned in the UK.

• Castle
    Castle Posts: 4,219 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    "The easiest place to get some additional tax revenue is to charge, (and collect), the business rates which the PPC's should be paying."

Yes, when I was working on my case I could not find that the PPC was paying business rates and yet they were registered as leaseholders at the Land Registry. I assumed that this could have been because the rates were paid by the holder of the head lease.

Are they not paying business rates then? That is something that should be looked into. 

IMHO there are too many companies getting away without paying corporation tax by registering abroad. Any company should be taxed on profits from revenue earned in the UK.

The only PPC's I can remember seeing on any Business rating listings are (1) Excel, mainly because they do have leases with the landowners in many cases and (2) NCP, because they actually own the land.

• Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,394 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Fruitcake said:
    Once registered on the BSI website, despite having to give an occupation, the system is very easy to use.
    What follows is bullet points where I have expanded on the comments section and then provided focused comments on the "Proposed Changes " section.
    Like you @Fruitcake I found it poor website building to have a drop-down box marked "retired" and then couldn't go any further until inserting an occupation.  I resisted the temptation to be rude and put "Engineer (but I'm alright now)."  I agree with you that it is easy to navigate.  I have put my comments on the web site and saved it, when I have completed it I will go back and (i think you can) download it, extract my points and post in this thread.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback